Sponsors:

Good use for wood...bread for Christmas

Started by twar, December 22, 2021, 11:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twar

I use wood in many ways. Here is my one of my favorites:
r>

HemlockKing

Nice oven! I’ve been entertaining the idea of making one of these this coming summer, never layed brick before so it will be another new learning curve
A1

Ljohnsaw

That's a lot of bread!  Do you have a retail bakery, a party planned or just love to eat bread all day? :D

I'm confused though.  Is the 'oven' on the opposite side from the fire box?  Or is there some sort of heat draft thing going on?  Assuming there is some sort of oven door as well?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

twar

Much of the family will be in and out all Christmas, and yes, we eat a lot of bread. It freezes well, so we'll freeze it, then take out of the freezer as needed. There is just one "box" with one entrance. I build a fire about 4 hours before the bread is ready. The oven is massive/dense, so it uses the thermal mass principle; the mass heats up and stays hot for a looong while. I rake all the embers out about an hour before baking the bread, "sweep the floor" and close the door. At that point the oven is too hot to bake bread (400C/750F). When the oven falls to ca. 260C (500F), the bigger loaves go in for ca. 35 mins. Then the smaller stuff goes in after that for ca. 20 mins. We could keep this up with cakes, cookies, chicken, stew etc. using the gradual fall in temperature. It's about -4C (25F) outside right now. The oven will be back at that temperature early next week. The oven is 6 years old, and it was fun to build (and I'm no mason).

(And there is pizza in the summer.)

thecfarm

That looks good. I use to eat a lot of bread!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

peakbagger

The local farmers market in the non snow season has a backyard baker that sells lots of baked goods. He is a retired doctor who likes to experiment with bread. Its all baked in an outdoor wood fired over. There is usually a line in front of his stand 20 minutes before the market open up and its continuous until he runs out. Great bread. Hard to match wood fired bread (or pizza)

GaTrapper

That is awesome! I am so impressed! Could you take some more pictures of the oven? How long did it take you to build? 

Thank You Sponsors!