iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boil a Hambone

Started by Magicman, October 09, 2012, 01:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yesterday I noticed a hambone boiling on the stove.  Yup, soup today.  With this brutal cold weather that moved through here (DanG, it got down to 50°  ;D ) good homemade soup hit the spot.

I sorta looked through and made a note of what I saw:  ham, potato, carrot, corn, tomato, shell noodles, peas, beans, onion, celery, and some other stuff that probably came from a package of dried soup mix.   ???

Boiling the hambone.

Looks like the veggies have been added and it is simmering.

MMmmmm  Good for sure with a hunk of yellow cornbread. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

That has to be packed with flavor.
Your a lucky man! ;)

thecfarm

I thought you meant pea soup at first.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold, Pease porridge in the pot, nine days old. Some like it hot, some like it cold, Some like it in the pot, nine days old.

Looks absolutely delicious.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ashes

looks like a great bowl of soup. complimented nicely with some corn bread (always good).

the weather seemed to turn here, I hope not, but we might be heading into the 50's. Soup time of the year. After it starts raining I will be totally convinced, but for now it is still summer (60's). :)

Magicman

PatD reminded me that there were "secret" ingredients in her soup, but she doesn't fool me for a minute.  That lady can cook.   digin1
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ashes

Ha, from the pics you post, i would tend to agree with you on the matter.

sawguy21

That is real comfort food. YUM!!!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sandhills

That looks like something you need to package up and take to Colorado  ;)

Magicman

Yup, two zip bags are in the freezer.  She will also package such things as pork loin, chicken tenders, and brisket.  All will be "two people" sized with gravy.  We then use instant potatoes, instant rice, or canned sliced potatoes.  That with a can of whatever veggie and canned peaches/pears makes a good meal.

Magicman

PatD made a pot of Hambone Soup yesterday.

And I noticed that her soup ingredients are still about the same 9 years later.  Ham from da bone, taters, onion, celery, corn, peas, noodles, butterbeans, spaghetti, tomato, & carrots e/w yellow cornbread.   

Nothing like a bowl of hot soup during this blizzard.  food6

samandothers

That looks good!  We have been enjoying soup from ham and a ham bone over this new year during the cold too.

Glad to see the corn bread and that it is round.  If our friend from WV sees this, he will question why the cornbread is round.  Seems he prefers square.  Must be a WV, FL or Auburn thing to make it in somekinda square cast iron pan.

Jeff

Yum! Love soup, but more importantly love anything that there lady makes! I don't understand it. Whyaintchoofat?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on January 20, 2022, 11:46:29 AMWhyaintchoofat?
Clean living, nothing but clean living.  Avoid it at all cost !!!   ::)

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on January 20, 2022, 11:46:29 AMWhyaintchoofat?
Clean living, nothing but clean living.  Avoid it at all cost !!! 
Quote from: samandothers on January 20, 2022, 11:25:25 AMGlad to see the corn bread and that it is round.
I asked PatD how long she has been making Cornbread in that Iron Skillet??  Her reply was "Oh my gosh" !!!

WDH

Inspired, I made vegetable beef soup tonight.  The cornbread was made by my daughter.  Very delicious.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

We had soup and cornbread for lunch and PatD made another 'pone' on cornbread so that we could soup again tonight.  Wonder what will be for lunch tomorrow ???

Raider Bill

i generally bake the bone before putting it in the broth. makes the marrow flavor come out better i think.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

That was the New Year's hambone so it was already baked/roasted.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on January 21, 2022, 03:31:05 PM
That was the New Year's hambone so it was already baked/roasted.
Roger that but i bake them once again after picking most the meat off and just before putting in the broth.
Saw it on a cooking show years ago.
Works best if one end is cut through so the marrow is exposed but really brings out the flavor.
ymmv

Magicman

OK, now I understand.  When a ham is baked the meat actually sorta insulates the bone from the heat.  Baking the bone actually bakes the bone.   ;D

Raider Bill

Yep.
That baked marrow  brings a little different flavor to the pot.

Thank You Sponsors!