iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diamond wheel info

Started by Qweaver, October 24, 2017, 04:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I should know this but don't.  My Peterson tip grinder has a 4" Aluminum wheel with a 1/4" strip of diamond.  That strip looks to be about 1/16" thick and my question is, is that strip filled with diamond all the way thru?  Or just coated on the surface?   It is still cutting but very slow.  It may just be a very fine grit.
Thanks
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Savannahdan

Quinton - The wheel on my Lucas sharpener is more like a coating.  You need to clean the gunk off of the carbide tips on the blade before you sharpen them or else you wind up gunking up the carbide on the wheel.  I apologize if I'm telling you something you already know. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

terrifictimbersllc

I also use the grinder that came with the Peterson mill to sharpen, freehand, the Woodmizer debarker blades. I put the wheel on backwards to do this.  I "clean" the diamond with a fine white block that I think came with an ABN grinding wheel for my chain saw chain grinder.  It eats up the white stone rapidly but I think it cuts carbide faster after I clean it.

It takes me only several light passes across a Peterson carbide tip or a Woodmizer debarker tip to see a fresh cut surface on the carbide.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ButchC

Yes the diamonds are all through that coating on the disk and you need to dress the diamond wheel now and then and what you use is basically an aluminum oxide sharpening stone. One comes with the grinder if you still have the box. Or they are cheap on Ebay.
Here is what you are looking for.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Larry

You can get the white stone at most any place that sells ceramic tile.  Its used to clean diamond tile blades.

I don't know what your diamond blade looks like but Harbor Freight sells a 4" diamond blade that also comes with an emery blade for $10.  Its used in their blade grinder which I know nothing about.  The item number for the blade is 98862.  The blade cuts as good as my 6" blades for my tool grinder that cost $200.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: ButchC on October 24, 2017, 08:41:56 PM
Yes the diamonds are all through that coating on the disk and you need to dress the diamond wheel now and then and what you use is basically an aluminum oxide sharpening stone. One comes with the grinder if you still have the box. Or they are cheap on Ebay.
Here is what you are looking for.

Yes that's the white stone and i probably got mine with the peterson grinder.  It is cleaning, you are not changing the shape of the flat diamond strip.  If you had a mind to you could eat up that whole white block in a few minutes with the diamond wheel.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!