iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Somewhat new guy with a couple questions.

Started by Jdwoody, December 04, 2015, 08:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdwoody

So I introduced myself over in the timber framing section a few weeks ago with some questions there. Now I'm involved in another project and have some questions more so related to this section. I think anyways.

Big question is if there are any members in the southwest region of Arkansas that cut small tracts? When I say small I mean 9-10 acres. I've been looking for someone to thin a pine stand without success. Everyone is looking for large tracts, which is understandable. Next is if I cannot find anyone to do this turn key can I sell the trees without being a registered logger? This is all on a small farm and I do have the equipment to cut, load and haul just not near as efficiently as the big boys. The stand is all pine and most of the smaller trees are 8" butts. It has been neglected for a long time and I fear they are choking each other out. Any info is helpful and I deeply appreciate your help.

Jake.
06 Asv Rc 100
03 Bobcat 322
94 f350 Winch Truck
Stihl MS 260
Husky 394 Xp
Alaskan Mill (hope to change this soon!)

CCC4

Look to see where a pine pole yard is in your area. We use Sentinnel Industries in my neck of the woods, not sure if they have a yard in your area. Yes, you can sell your timber w/o being a registered logger...generally only places like Weyerhauser want a Pro Logger certificate on your trucks coming into their yard. If you locate a pine pole yard, they will know someone who would be happy to cut it for you. Pine poles require a minimal amount of equipment...mainly a chainsaw and your shoulder. Good luck

Jdwoody

Ok thanks for the tip. I will look into that route. I see your just a click north of Calico Rock. The misses grandfather lived up there up until recently. What gorgeous country. I would love to live up there.
06 Asv Rc 100
03 Bobcat 322
94 f350 Winch Truck
Stihl MS 260
Husky 394 Xp

CCC4

Yes Sir, love it here! Between my hog hunting past addictions and logging, I have seen some beautiful country over the years.

Good luck to ya, if you end up doing the thinning yourself, there are several very good foresters on this site that I am sure would help` answer some questions as to what trees might need to be targetted.

Jdwoody

I'm contemplating on doing it myself. The general attitude of the people that I've talked to so far leaves a lot to be desired. If I can find somewhere pretty close I may tackle it. No one takes better care of their property than the owner. I just need to keep it close. The old fords never averaged over 4 mpg toting any weight.
06 Asv Rc 100
03 Bobcat 322
94 f350 Winch Truck
Stihl MS 260
Husky 394 Xp

Thank You Sponsors!