iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is it OK to remove a tree limb this large?

Started by blackhawk, October 30, 2021, 07:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhawk

Hello All - I have a large and mature red oak in my front yard.  It is about 36" diameter at breast height.  I have a large 12-14" diameter limb that I would like to remove as it is starting to grow over top of my garage.  It is the lowest limb on the left side in the 1st picture.  Is it OK to trim a limb this large without damaging the tree?

I cut several limbs about 3 years ago.  They are all healing nicely.  The largest one that I cut then was about 8-9" diameter.  The 2nd picture shows where this limb was cut which is on the backside of my 1st pic.  The limb that I want to remove is also in this pic, just below and to the right of the healed over limb.

Lucas 7-23 with slabber. Nyle L53 kiln. Shopbot CNC 48x96

Tacotodd

That type of work is done quite a bit around my area with out any unforeseen consequences. But like always, be careful of any collateral damages out there (nothing in the limbs drop zone to get damaged).
Trying harder everyday.

Southside

And whatever you do, don't do it off a ladder. YouTube it if you don't understand why. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ron Scott

Yes, but not something to be done by the inexperienced. It should only be removed by an experienced professional tree service  person who is aware of the potential hazards involved. 
~Ron

Sailor Mars

Completely agree. Straight forward job. Get a professional with the right equipment to help. You don't want to end up hurt... or worse, on a YouTube fail compilation 
Forestry undergrad, forest tech and trail crew work

Clark

That tree must be growing well to heal over that large of a wound so nicely. 

If it were my place I would be more inclined to head back that branch. Prune it to a fork or branch where it will heal over. You can cut back the stuff that is over the garage and deter it from continuing to grow that direction. Done right it will be unnoticeable to the untrained eye. Done poorly and everyone will see it! 

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

wisconsitom

Clark is describing something known as subordination pruning.  By shortening up a branch just as he describes, the branch slows down its growth.  In cases of codominant leaders, this technique is ideal to slow one down without making a large pruning wound that will close slowly if at all (tree wounds do not heal-they get closed off).  I think though that this branch can be removed in its entirety without any undue difficulty for the tree.

Big thing is to undercut a ways out, then top-cut an inch or two out from that undercut, so the bulk of the branch's weight is removed, then remove the stub (at the branch collar).
Ask me about hybrid larch!

mike_belben

If youre gonna do it yourself start at the tip and work back in 4ft segments.  Your final trim should only be a small block of wood.  Not completely flush and not much of a stub either.  Itll take years to scab over if possible at all.

Trying to cut the entire limb at once is asking to pinch a saw, get knocked off a ladder, tear wood fiber that causes severe wound to the tree, or have something from above jarred loose and raining down on you.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!