iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Todays crop!

Started by Raider Bill, August 06, 2019, 03:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Picked these today. We generally have a steady supply but for whatever reason this years they are ripening in bunches.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

K-Guy

Quote from: red on August 06, 2019, 04:14:45 PM
Nice Acorns
I bet you say that to all the guys. :D ;D ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Don P

I think the difference in home grown and store bought is greater than the same difference in tomatoes ... I'm jealous!

TimRB

I didn't know anyone grew pineapples on the mainland.  Makes me think I might want to give it a try.  

Tim

Raider Bill

We just cut the tops off and stick them in the dirt. Takes about 2 years. I eat 1-2 a week so we always have a good supply. It was just funny that so many that had been planted weeks/months apart came ripe at the same time.
We let them yellow out before picking so that the fruit is as sweet as sugar but if we let them go too long the coons eat them.
City farming.

WV Sawmiller

I'm surprised and jealous. I worked in Cameroon in West Africa for several years and they were available year round over there and I got really spoiled having them so readily available and so good. The big problem I had was I needed one about the size of a baseball for my needs and that was considered a cull to most of the folks growing them who wanted to sell me one about the size of a 3 quart jar which was way more than I had any use for. 

I was stationed in Okinawa at Camp Schwab on the north part of Okinawa all of 1986 in USMC and they grew them near there and I can still remember running outside the camp and passing an intersection near the farms where they harvested them and a few would always fall off the overloaded trucks and get run over by passing traffic and "stink" up the area so nice. Just seeing those reminds me of that perfume.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Just the top of the fruit? I wonder if they would grow in my greenhouse? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Raider Bill

Don't know. My area gets pretty warm in the afternoon but yep just cut the top off like normal. We put them in a bowl with water for a week then in dirt.

caveman

Fresh pineapple is amazing.  We usually have a few growing but seldom get to eat them due to the coons and opossums getting to them right before they are ripe.

Raider Bill, remember if you ever take a wrong turn and end up in Polk County, stop by.  Don't forget to bring some pineapples.

I went to Costa Rica a few summers ago to chaperone an FFA ag tour and we went to a pineapple plantation and also a beef farm.  Their pineapples were on about a three year rotation.  The beef farm we visited mob grazed their Brahma cattle on Bermuda grass and fed them over-ripe pineapples (no grain).  I was not expecting the meat to be of the quality that it was.  I reluctantly admit that the steak I had from grass and pineapple fed Brahma was the best I have ever had based on flavor and texture.
Caveman

Raider Bill

Quote from: caveman on August 07, 2019, 04:34:13 PM
Fresh pineapple is amazing.  We usually have a few growing but seldom get to eat them due to the coons and opossums getting to them right before they are ripe.

Raider Bill, remember if you ever take a wrong turn and end up in Polk County, stop by.  Don't forget to bring some pineapples.

I went to Costa Rica a few summers ago to chaperone an FFA ag tour and we went to a pineapple plantation and also a beef farm.  Their pineapples were on about a three year rotation.  The beef farm we visited mob grazed their Brahma cattle on Bermuda grass and fed them over-ripe pineapples (no grain).  I was not expecting the meat to be of the quality that it was.  I reluctantly admit that the steak I had from grass and pineapple fed Brahma was the best I have ever had based on flavor and texture.
On my last trip to Costa Rica we stayed at a place next to a pineapple plantation. The smell
was amazing. Seemed like miles of plants.
I'll take you up on that offer this winter.fall or winter! We do get over that way.

Thank You Sponsors!