iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grafted or from Seed

Started by Jeb, February 27, 2010, 01:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeb

Looks like I'm going to move ahead with planting a couple rows of Stuart Pecan trees along my drive in south-central Virginia.  As I look at what the various nursuries have to offer, I've noticed that some trees are "grafted" and some are "from seed."  I know what "grafted" and "from seed" means but I'm wondering which is better in the long run?

Thanks again.

--Jeb

Tom

Seed pecans are a crap shoot.  Most around here are small, round and hard as a rock.   The grafted stock insures a nut that you can use.

Magicman

Tom is spot on.  Grafted trees are the only ones that you can be sure of.  There are cross pollination issues with seed grown trees. 

Almost all of my trees are volunteers.  Some have very good nuts, some produce no nuts, and some are closely related to steel ball bearings.  Those, I don't even bother to pick up.  I let the crows and squirrels have them.

I would get several different varieties.  I have probably 3 different varieties of  grafted trees, and even they don't produce a bumper crop every year.  Weather/rains affect pollination.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

Hold the phone, Jeb.  A little more digging revealed that the Stuart is not self-pollinating, so you better mix them with some other variety.  I would definitely go with the grafted trees, as the seedlings may not come in as a true variety.  Spring for the largest trees you can afford.  The bigger they are, the shorter the wait before they start to bear.  The prices go up exponentially as you go larger though, so that part is up to you and how long you're willing to look at a little stick with a dozen leaves on it. ;) :D

http://www.tytyga.com/product/Stuart+Pecan+Tree
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Here is a pic of a couple of my oldest trees.  In the foreground is a huge old seedling tree.  Note the long straight stem, which is an indicator of a tree grown from seed.  That tree measures 45" diameter at breast height.  Alas, I'm afraid I'm about to lose that one as it has started going to bed early and waking up late, and has some fungi growing out of the base.  Notice how far along it is in shedding leaves compared to the old Stuart grafted tree in the background.  I love that tree, and it has the tiniest little nuts I've ever seen, but it will look pretty good sitting on the sawmill, too. ;D

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Grafted trees are a crap shoot too depending on compatibility with the root stock. As in fruit trees, many times the root stock will grow faster than the graft, the bark splits, then decay takes hold. I have never had luck with grafted fruit trees as this is always the result.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

That doesn't seem to be much of a problem down here, SD.  Maybe you ain't eatin' enough grits. ;D

jerry-m

I just did some peach tree grafting yesterday... Never had tried grafting before so will be a couple of months to fine out
    if it takes...

Want to try grafting pecan to some hickory for root stock but county agent said the hickory will grow to slow as   compared   to the pecan ??? ??? ???

A good place to learn how to graft  is YouTube-DaveWilsonTree's channel

Good Luck,  Jerry
Jerry

Tom

I don't think I'd let that stop me from putting Pecan on Hickory.  :D

The older folks around here are putting the Japanese Persimmons on wild persimmon stock all through the woods, just for fun.

jerry-m

Well Tom, I am doing   this just for fun also as at my age I will probable never get to eat any of the fruit :(

I also intend to  try grafting some Japanese plum onto some native wild plum and also use some of the dead peach tree root stock which is still growing quite well...

Jerry
Jerry

Tom

Is your Japanese plum different than Loquat?   Loquat is called Japanese plum here. 

That's pretty much the same Idea that I have with planting trees.  I figure it's for someone else, but maybe they will appreciate it.

When you start grafting, hang a sign in the tree and keep a diary so that others can find the trees.  Leave it in your will to whomever owns the property.  :D

jerry-m

Tom,   I only have two plum trees about 3 years old, never fruited yet, think I should get some fruit this year...One is

a Methley and I dont remember the other... Both are looking very good this year...

The other plums are small native  type, about 3/4 in. dia... both red and yellow...

Jerry
Jerry

Tom

It's those small, scrubby Chickasaw Plums that we look for around here.  They grow wild near the St. Mary's river and I'll eat so many standing there with the trees that I'll just about get sick.  I love them.  I'll bet the birds and other wildlife hate to see me arrive.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!