iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need ideas.

Started by Mr Mom, February 22, 2006, 01:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Mom

I need somthing to do to make some extra money?? I dont need millon but just some extra.
     Any ideas would be helpful.
     I will get the tendon maker from baileys some time to try to make log furniture.
     As most of you know that i stay at home with my kids. I dont have a shop or anything like that.
     Tools are hand and small power tools. I really dont have any hobbies.
     Cant paint or draw.

Thanks alot Mr Mom

Tom

If you will get a small lathe, there is a lot of money to be had turning mechanical pencils and ball point pens.  These are made from very small pieces of wood so the selection of highly figured pieces are abundant.  You are only having to find pieces of wood an inch square and 6 inches long whereas cabinet makers need to find large boards.

Pens and pencils are considered more of an art form and the prices one asks are not the equivelant to a dime store pencil.   You can demand as much as your experience and artistry provides.  You can show of hundreds out of a brief case.  It makes for a small store front.   Ebay and personal websites are good for selling hand crafts if you possess the organizational skills.

The internal workings can be purchased as kits from several manufacturers.

A lathe and manufacturing operation can be set up in your home with no more room than would be taken up by a sewing machine.  Containing it would be nice since there is sawdust and shavings envolved, but you might just dedicate yourself a closet.  :)

If you decide you like turning, you might graduate to a larger room and a larger lathe and begin turning bowls.

Turning wood is productive as well as relaxing.  You are also not having to get into the situation of producing "sets" of like product.   Each pen, like rustic furniture, is a "one off".

You will find that Rustic furniture is a good market as well.  You will need an artist's eye, but possessing one can make a lot of money.   Read that as in "a lot of money".

Part_Timer

Tom's right on the spot with the turning.

My wife turns pens,penciles,letter openers,pill containers.  If you do a good job and sell for a reasonable price you can make money at it.  I know that kate is as buisy with it as she wants to be.  It takes a bit of money for the mandrels but once you have them your off and running. 
There are a couple of turning threads on here and lots of nice pictures in the gallery. try this one for starters
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=15769.msg224342#msg224342

Best of luck

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

metalspinner

Mr. Mom,
I'm right there with you staying at home with the kids.  :) Finally, the older one started kindergarden this past year! 8) 8) 8)  The little guy is a couple years behind.
The lathe idea is a great one.  All of your start up costs can be recouped fairly quick.  In fact, you may get so busy with that, that you won't have time for anything else!
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

isassi

You  may think this won't work, but look at flea markets and see how much small, wooden jewelry boxes go for. I saw a few at a local market, made from cedar and a bottom lining with fabric, selling for a mere $25 and up. Not 2 bucks in material. If you like that idea, I will send you a few pieces of ERC to get you started. The little hinges and clasp could be had at a hobby shop for a buck or 2. Good luck Mr.Mom  :)

iain

Tell us

what you got in your area, that could be a customer base?

are you way out in the stick's?

what you got available to you?

what do you want to do?

you know stuff like that

iain

woodsteach

Do what ever it takes to stay at home with the kids!!!

I teach woodshop part time and sawmill/log part time, while helping to manage the family cow/calf operation with my folks.  My wife stays at homewith our 3(6,4,18mo girls), she watches a kid or 2 part time, it is funny you guys mention pens, she takes cheap bic pens and decorates them w/a poly clay and bakes them and she can't keep up.  I'll have to post some of her work later.

We also do network marketing of nutritional supplements that brings in the house payment. 

As you can see we do whatever it takes not to send our kids to daycare!  It is something that I won't do AGAIN!

You are on the right track, anything is better than nothing.

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Mr Mom

Tom    never thought about getting a wood lathe to make pens.
     That was a good idea. Went out the end of fall and did some lot clean up. Most of what i cut down was stuff that was bent over and broken. Alot of the trees were about 2"-5" in dia so that is the reason for the log furniture.

Part_timer   Thanks for the thread i read it last night.

metalspinner   I teach home school for my son he is in kindergarden this year. The next to go to school will be in two years.

joasis   thought about little boxes like that. Thanks for the offer on the wood i will think about it and get back to you.

iain   I do live in the sticks. I have 14acrs of trees mostly maple some oak, and other kinds.
I live in one of the countys that  have a emeployment rate of 8.2%. not to many rich people here.
     I never had a hobbie i never got into anthing. I like to build things,tear things apart. I like to hunt and fish but it seams that got put on the back burner too. I always put the family first and never looked back.

woodsteach   When we first started out we had a friend watch my oldest but then we had two more :o :o ( i still dont know it happens) it was cheaper for me to stay home and watch them.  Just trying to get ideas.

Thanks for all the ideas Mr Mom.
      p.s. I do windows because the kids have them dirty.

Engineer

You're in NE Ohio - if you can spare the time and $$$ (yeah, I know, need money to make money problem), go take a lathe class from Ernie Conover in Parkman, OH.    He'll have you turning all kinds of stuff in no time.

Also - beekeeping can get you some $$ from sale of the honey, also raising chickens, selling eggs and meat?

Mr Mom

Engineer--- Chickens,bees,and maple suryp are on the list.
     The chickens are going to wait until i get the mill to cut the lumber. Bees are on the list for this year. Going to get the stuff for maple suyrp this year and try it next year.
     I thought about getting a couple pigs.
     That way i could have eggs,beacon and maple suryp for the pancakes. Use the honey for the tea that my wife keeps telling me i should be drinking instead of coffie.....forget the last part.

Thanks alot Mr Mom

red

chickens cant wait ....

they can live in the back of the pickup  truck .....

just  dont forget to  close the cap before driving into town
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Mr Mom

red---   :D :D :D i should be getting the mill here soon. (maybe)

Thanks alot Mr Mom

Larry

I dunno...the people making the artisy crafty things are mostly struggling to cover there expenses.  The people that come up with original ideas are the ones making money...something that won't be published on an internet site.  Of course iffen ya come up with an original idea and do well the next year there will be a thousand imitatiors.

Hone school sounds like a strong point...might make sense to work on that first as I would think a lot of potential there.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

jon12345

Dunno what your time frame to do this is but maybe you could harvest some wild food if you know how and where to find it, some of that stuff can get pretty pricey  ???

Try looking at some of the self-sustainable living websites  they have articles on different ways to supplement your income and decrease your cost of living.  Just don't read to much into the politics of those sites, unless you're ready to take up arms against big business and 'the man' keeping everyone down  :D :D

I feel like I'm in kind of the same boat as you, I would rather stay home with my son  I need to find somethin to do for myself because I'll be DanGed if I help someone else get rich while I'm livin in the gutter  (not literally)
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Mr Mom

larry--- That is how it happens. One person makes somthing neat than a bunch of people copy it.

Jon12345--- I try not to read some of them web site they get really smiley_mad_crazy smiley_mad_crazy sometimes.
     We have a anti-goverment person living down the road no elecit, no running water. He is one step above amish.
     My neighboor goes hunting for mushrooms on my place. He is from the old school. Makes good food from when he was a boy learned it from his mother.

Thanks alot Mr Mom

isassi

Here is something for an idea that would require little investment. There is always a demand for picture framing, especially in custom work. Materials are not that expensive for basic frame work, and a basic miter box with a sharp saw will work fine.

Mr Mom

Joasis   Picture frames is a good idea thanks  ;) ;) ;).

I have gotten alot of good ideas from here thanks for to all.
     Now off to do some homework and start doing somethings.

Thanks alot Mr Mom

Thank You Sponsors!