iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 031 clutch won't engage

Started by captinjack, June 28, 2006, 08:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captinjack

I've got a perfectly good running 031, but the clutch won't engage reliably and run the chain.  My dealer says that parts have long been unavailable and that he doesn't have anything that would help me in his "bone yard".

This saw had the optional clutch that requires that the brake be pulled back toward the saw to engage the chain drive.  My dealer said that a standard clutch could be used if totally replaced.  I would be happy with anything that will allow me to cut wood again with this saw - optional or standard clutch.

Does anyone out there have any advise or parts that can get me running again?  If not, does anyone want this old, but powerfully running saw?

I always have bought quality tools and equipment from reputable companies thinking that this represents the best value.  I'm beginning to think that this is a throw-away society now and that one should just buy cheap and when it breaks - you just throw it away like a Bic lighter.  Not all companies are this way.  I can still get any part I need for my 42 yr. old Triumph motorcycle.  They have been out of business since 1983, but others are making parts.  Is there a Stihl non-OEM parts supplier out there?  Is there an old-time shop out there that has some good used parts in their "bone yard"?

This saw has give me a lot of good service over the many years that I've had it and it seems a shame to toss it away when it runs so well.

beenthere

Got your point, but it leads me to wonder just how long a good Company would continue to carry the parts you need?  30 years? 40 years? 50 years?  At some point, they probably need to make the tough decision. Seems to me the marine motor companies have had a 10 yr policy, that after 10 years the parts are no longer available (at least through the parts dept.).
When was the 031 purchased? 

I have an 041 running strong, and so far no need for any parts. I'd be disappointed if something broke and I had to leave it on the shelf, but I've said for years that it doesn't owe me a thing for as long as it has flawlessly performed. I believe I will think more on its good service than not being able to use it anymore. Just a different way of thinking about it.  :)

If me, I'd get on eBay and search for the clutch parts. Seems old saws are being parted out (which is another thought for you to part it out and list it on eBay rather than 'toss' it).

(Now, I am re-storing a 42 yr old Deere 110 and finding parts may prove to be interesting).

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

MDP

You might try ebay, I buy parts for my saws there sometimes, usually a big selection even for older saws. Good luck, Mark

simonmeridew

Try this link on eBay.

Long Ebay Link

It's a search for current auctions. Sounds to me like you need a clutch $35. It should be about 20 minutes work to change it out, with a minimum of tools. you might check out a factory repair book at the same time or even before you order the clutch in order to ferret out the differences in the two types  of clutches. There may in fact no difference in the clutches but the chain brake mechanism is somewhat complicated and may simply  be in need of adjustments.(dealt with in the factory book too, probably the most involved(in terms of pages) coverage in the book. )I got a used chain brake handle to replace one I broke when I dropped the bucket on my 034 saw, easy repair if you have the book
hope this helps
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

Bill

FWIW

I'll jump in to recommend the eBay approach. Picked up a used power head that gives me plenty of useful spare parts.

Good Luck .  .  .

Frickman

The 031 was a good little saw, it just hasn't been sold for at least twenty five years. Maybe Stihl built them too good, as there seem to be alot of them around still.  ;)

If I get two or three years out of a saw I'm doing good. I tend to wear them out / smash them before they become obsolete.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

captinjack

My local gunsmith found a new clutch, but without the optional drive in/out, and it works like a champ again.  It works just like all my other saws.

I still don't know why my normal Stihl dealer told me they couldn't get parts.  We even discussed changing the whole clutch to the "always driven" clutch that was standard and he said he couldn't even do that.  I will stop by and personally let them know that they violated my trust.  This is an old time dealer and the old man owner and his son both told me the same thing - no parts available.

My gunsmith had a new clutch the next day!  Go figure.  The local Stihl dealer just lost at least one customer!

sawguy21

Don't be too hard on the dealer. Where did a gunsmith find saw parts, in a box of odds and ends he got in trade for a goose gun? We frequently get people looking for obsolete parts and quite frankly we don't have time to be scouring the countryside for them. If it is not available through our parts system and no junker laying around, too bad. It is time for a new saw. We are not in the salvage business.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

There is a world of difference in dealers.Some are real helpful ,some are not.Some,especialy those that deal in the world famous orange and white saws develop quite an attitude towards restoring older saws.Often times their reply is"buy a new saw". I could elaborate for hours on that subject but will refrain from doing so,in the interest of peace and tranquility. :-X

That being said,there are parts available for nearly everything ever made if you look hard enough.In the look up of clutches for the 031 Stihl I could only find two numbers for clutches and two types of drum,rim drive and spur.I didn't find any thing other than a standard clutch brake mechanism for that saw listed in my dealers manual.

I suppose it could be a special model but if so my  parts lists don't show it.

Thank You Sponsors!