iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question ?  sawing multiple posts from log .

Started by WV_hillbilly, December 28, 2004, 03:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV_hillbilly

Hey Jack you get that roof finished and I'll come up and put up those new lights so you can see after dark .

Brad     I  am looking for some smaller logs to cut these post out of  right now  but I may have to resort to the big ones .

Thanks for all the insight  guys .  One of these days I may just get a saw to put under this shed  .  ;D
Hillbilly

OneWithWood

As Norm said I have used tulip poplar in my buildings.  I use it for headers, top plates, 2x and siding.  Mostly I use it for siding.  It makes a durable and good looking siding.  The 2 x 6s in my saw barn are actually made from big tooth aspen.  It is in the same family as tulip poplar but is not as durable.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WV_hillbilly

OWW

There are alot of old barns around here with poplar siding . It grows pretty good here . I was told the other day that it makes some real good lapsiding If you have the jig .
Hillbilly

woodmills1

All the "poplar" I sell and use is really quaking aspen.  It doesnt like stain but paints real well.  When covered with urethane it stays real white.  Gets slightly yellow over time but I expect thats the urethane not the wood.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

beenthere

I thought aspen was called 'popple' and not poplar.  ??? ::) ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV_hillbilly

Has anyone wondered why a guy with no sawmill would want to build a sawshed  ? ???
Hillbilly

Furby

Nope, not at all!

I did however, wonder how a guy with no sawmill was going to saw multiple posts from a log. ;D

WV_hillbilly

Keep thinking Furby you might be onto something .
Hillbilly

Furby

Ya mean ya don't really have a mill headed your way???

WV_hillbilly

Hillbilly

Furby

Yep, it was 56 on Fri. and it's 28 right now. I'd say I'm getting colder.  ;)
So ya gonna tell us, or wait for somebody else to guess???

WV_hillbilly

You'll have to wait till about noon today and you 'll see some pics . I would have to say that something is going to hitch a ride home behind my truck  at about 9:00 AM.  There is that what you is wantin to know  . I knew someone was gonna beat it out of me .  :-X      I know I'm going to start the new year off right .   ;D
Hillbilly

chet

Seein' as how you now got yur new mill, dem laminated posts are definately da way ta go. ;)  If ya sawed 1/4" boards, just think of how much sawin' you could do for each 4X6 post.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

WV_hillbilly

Yea Chet I could use the practice . It will be an adventure to see this thing get built . I need it to get below freezing again so I can cut down some more trees . It is hard for me to get any logs out of my woods unless it is dry or frozen . I have to go and get 5 logs that I dropped off at a circle mill 2 months ago . Seems He couldn't  find the time to saw them so it's too late now I have my own mill.    
Hillbilly

WV_hillbilly

It's me again .  I have another question about these posts , stringers and floor joist  for my saw shed  . I got one heck of a deal on a semi load of silver maple logs maybe more . Would it be okay to use this for structural parts or just siding  ?   About half is 16 " and bigger  x 12 - 24' long and the rest is in the 10" - 14 "  x  8 - 16 ' long .
Hillbilly

pasbuild

Post dimension is based on the height of the side walls more then the width of the building, example 10' wall height 4"X6", 14' wall height 6"X6" over 14' 8"X8"
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

WV_hillbilly

Thanks Pasbuild .  It will probably be built with 10 or 12 ' high sides .   There is enough smaller logs for me to be able to cut all the posts out , with a centered heart  .
Hillbilly

Cedarman

What about plan A and plan B.  If you start sawing the oaks and the wood is stained and only good for construction then use plan A figuring out how much you need to oversaw for stress relief.  If the wood looks valuable go to plan B which is to use some low grade poplar or other wood and sell  the high value wood.
Plan B lets you do more sawing too.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

WV_hillbilly

well I'm going to use plan B as i took a real good look at the pile of logs today .  There are more bigger ones than I thought . So the maple will make up most of this shed . It is going to start out at 30'  x 40 '     with a 15' x 40'  Basement under one side  cause of the lay of my land .

So far since Jan.1 when I brought the saw home I have sawed every weekend .  When I get this pile of logs home I won't have much free time  to do anything else . Looks like EZ's prediction is starting to come true > :D
Hillbilly

Buzz-sawyer

WV
The silver maple will..when cut into posts or cants crack rather deeply. I used it on osage piers(it willrot instantly in the ground) to build an open saw shed. :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!