iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good milling day

Started by Sixacresand, May 05, 2015, 10:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

Good day for me:  When I arrived the logs were lined up and ready to load on the mill.  There were two offbearers/helpers.  All I had to do was run the mill.  There was backhoe to roll logs onto the loading arms.  One rare day when there is no personal exertion/straining involved while milling. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

That does make for a nice day!   8)

Looks like around 1,200-1,400 bf.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

taylorsmissbeehaven

Its nice when the customer understands the process. Congrats on a great day, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

ncsawyer

It looks like you're cant hook is suspended in mid air in that picture.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Dave Shepard

The picture was taken by the Flash. :D Wait, if it was taken by the Flash, he would be back in frame before the shutter opened. smiley_headscratch
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

That is what I call a perfect sized job.  Move in, saw it, get paid, and be home by suppertime.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Quote from: Magicman on May 07, 2015, 09:24:16 AM
That is what I call a perfect sized job.  Move in, saw it, get paid, and be home by suppertime.  8)
\
Didn't quiet make it home by supper, but had a great time.   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

I didn't yesterday either.  I was still sawing at ~6:30PM.  Makes for a long day.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

When you go to a job and at the end of the day when you're tired and hungry, you look and there's 4 logs left you stay. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ga Mtn Man

Looks like you had already sawed several logs when that pic was taken.  Must have been a good full day of milling.  Nice level spot with the logs ready to go...I love jobs like that.

Do you have more than one cant hook? 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Sixacresand

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on May 08, 2015, 07:56:10 AM
Do you have more than one cant hook?
The other cant hook is a old wooden handle type. 

Ga Mtn Man

I figured you did.  It didn't take me long to realize two cant hooks were very helpful in loading larger logs.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Sixacresand

GMM,  Most of the time we had a backhoe on site to keep logs pushed up the the mill (and center them to the mill)  But, when the tractor left, Some of the big knotted logs we could not bulge with two cant hooks.   We parbuckled them onto the loading arms with a chain attached to the pickup or to the mill log clamp.   For one log we had to move the mill to get it centered with loading arms. Kinda wish I could deliver some long beams to stack logs on before hand.  They sure would roll easier. 

Dad2FourWI

Sixacresand, looks like a great day!!!

Nice job!.... right now I am just happy to supply the farm with what we need, but I keep thinking about some external jobs like this....  it still feels a bit "frightening"!  :D :D

Keep the pics coming... they might encourage me to "make the jump"!!!!  8)

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Thank You Sponsors!