iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mounting Cannon S2 (big Stihl) 42" bar on MS661 (small Stihl)

Started by neildorin, September 07, 2017, 01:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neildorin

So I'm retiring my old 051av milling saw and bought a new MS661CM with 36" bar. Most of my milling will be fine on a 36" bar, but I have a 42" Cannon SuperBar (.404/.063) I just bought for my 051av that's only been used 2 times and I'd like to run it on the MS661 with my 48" Granberg Alaskan mill.

I actually talked to Cannon yesterday and ordered the spring bushing adapters so I can mount a 14mm stud bar on the 12.3mm MS661 studs, but was warned about needing the Granberg auxiliary oiler to run that bar. I know that the oil holes on the 051 and MS661 will be in different places. What I'm curious about is has anyone drilled out a big mount bar to work with the oiler holes on the MS661 successfully? Cannon seemed to think this wasn't possible, but as long as the new oil hole makes it to the groove in the bar, that should be fine, right?

I don't mind adding an auxiliary oiler to my Granberg mill anyway (more oil is more better, right?) but it would be nice to have oil from the saw actually make it onto the bar as well.

Also, the MS661 runs a 3/8" pitch sprocket, and I ordered a .404 7 tooth so I can run my two brand new .404 milling chains for the 42" bar until they're worn out. I also ordered a 3/8" tip sprocket for the Cannon bar so that if I want to convert the 42" bar from .404 to 3/8" pitch in the future I can do that. For anyone who does a lot of milling, does running 3/8" chain really make that much of a difference over .404 chain in terms of saw power? (I know it saves kerf material in each cut, but that's pretty negligible at .029" per cut)
Saws:
MS250
034AV Super
MS661CM w/ 42" Cannon and Alaskan Mk IV mill
051AV PITA

Al_Smith

Most of the the time you can adapt different bar mounts to different saws .IMO Stihl mounts are the easiest to modify plus they are the easiest to find .
I've got a 36" Stihl mount  size 066 on a Homelite 2100S .404 chain .Plus a 42" 066 mount milled out to fit 084 size .404 .
Now after saying that an oddity .I have a cut down McCulloch bar ,10 series size shortened to about 18 inches,open roller type with oil and bar tightening holes to fit 084 Stihl,large mount McCulloch or large mount Homelite .Took me about 3 partial days,a few die grinder abrasive wheels and a case of beer before I got it done .It's hanging on a nail along with it's race chain. Doesn't get much use .

Thank You Sponsors!