iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Aftermarket Chain Brake

Started by Timbercruiser, March 09, 2015, 02:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbercruiser

Has anyone tryed any aftermarket chain brakes for husqvarna 266 272 ?  I see alot for pretty good prices. Just wondering how these hold up ??

weimedog

Have used a couple. They Break though when cold. More brittle than the stockers. Had one come bake two weeks ago, had been on a guys saw for 3 years with no issues; was cutting saw logs out of tree's for a logger (In single digit temperatures) and a 4 inch branch came down and snapped off the chain brake handle. Next question... do the AM folks sell those parts?? Or just get yet another chain brake from Huztl for $25 dollars??

SO For me it's better to go OEM if you make a living with that saw, but if its a Hobby saw and you just want to get it together for fire wood or GTG's, then the AM makes more sense IF your not caring how "correct" that saw is..
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

dgdrls

Just put one on my 272xp with a new bar and chain combo
The cover fit too tight and pinned the chain down.  I added a plastic spacer
between the cover and the bar which seems to have solved the issue.
I believe the teflon guide blocks are too thick.  I ran the saw a little
like that and pulled the cover to make certain it was not the clutch
drum rubbing, which it was not.  The spacer is not the solution I'm looking for
and will dig into it more.

Best
DGDrls

K_G_1

I bought a cheapo one on Amazon for about $25 for my 268 xp.  It broke within minutes of being on the saw.  I sent it back for a replacement and the exact same failure happened with the second one.  Essentially, it would still function, but the off position was far too close to the handle.  From there I could hardly fit my hand between the hand guard and the handle, and it became far to easy to accidentally trigger the chain brake by bumping it during normal operation.  So, my experience has been they're garbage, and I ended up buying an OEM brake.   The picture below shows the failure I experienced with the brake resetting too far back toward the handle. 

GRP7099

I've had this happen on 3 aftermarket 272xp chain brakes. The brake flag is practically on you're hand with the brake released. Remove the flag and check the spring that is pushed up inside it. On all 3 it was installed incorrectly as shipped. Once I got it in correct all 3 functioned normally. 

K_G_1

Quote from: GRP7099 on May 22, 2020, 08:57:21 PM
I've had this happen on 3 aftermarket 272xp chain brakes. The brake flag is practically on you're hand with the brake released. Remove the flag and check the spring that is pushed up inside it. On all 3 it was installed incorrectly as shipped. Once I got it in correct all 3 functioned normally.

Are you talking about the torsion spring (#9 in the pic below)? What is the correct way it's supposed to go together?  The ones I had seemed to be oriented correctly to this diagram, but it's not very clear as to how everything is supposed to be assembled from the explosion view.  I had them apart several times and they'd work correctly after being reassembled for a few on/off cycles, but would go back to the incorrect off position in short order.  

GRP7099

Yes. Spring number 9. Sometimes they have them in where the 90degree bend isn't sitting properly on the small ledge inside the handle. I have also had them where they were installed backwards. 

Thank You Sponsors!