iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving Day

Started by crtreedude, July 08, 2004, 11:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

The movers are showing up tommorrow to get all of our stuff, throw it on a banana boat (I think) and send it to Costa Rica. Thus starts the adventure - or continues it. Man, you have no idea how much junk you have until you have to decide if it is worth 1 dollar a pound!

We are heading to Costa Rica since we have many friends and a business there, plus, I just can't take the winters anymore. Here in NJ I figure it is comfortable for about 4 months of the year. May and June, September and October. If anyone is wandering around Ciudad Quesada in Costa Rica (Or La Fortuna / Arenal Volcano) drop me an email. I'll show you some big trees!  8)

I told my mom, who always figured I would get into trouble somehow, that the time had finally come that I had to move to a Central American country. She wanted to know what I had done.  :D

If anyone is curious on how someone ends up backing up everything and moving to a foreign country, www.ecoworld.com published an article I wrote about our experiences. It is called cooperative reforestation.

Sorry to say Jeff, I won't make the pig roast, but I will say, that if anyone wants to make a trip to Costa Rica, we will have a real nice fiesta for ya.

I'll definitely stay in contact, probably more so since life will be slowing down a bit - maybe.

Fred
So, how did I end up here anyway?

iain

i know life will be a bit of a chore for the first few weeks whilst you get settled in but please do try to enjoy your self ;)

good living   iain

crtreedude

Living in a tropical paradise is a hard job, but someone has to do it.  ;D

The hard work comes around the second week of August when everything finally gets there.

Tom

Don't forget to offer an occassional picture to the Forum and a few stories of the "easy life". :)

twoodward15

you got any wood for sale before you leave???  I'm in NJ as well!
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

crtreedude

No, sorry to say I have no lumber in the North. Mahogany just doesn't do too well up here. :D

Tom, I will definitely include pictures periodicly, as well as stories. If anyone wants to read them, there is a whole series of "Life in the Campo" on the website. Just look at the navigation bar. I usually am getting into some kind of scrap.

RavioliKid

That sounds so exciting, cr! I love Central America, although I've never been to Costa Rica. I may just have to go see you.

Happy moving!
RavioliKid

Pete J

I'll be down to visit just as soon as that pesky Aurenal volcano goes dormant again. The parks dept sealed off the entire area from tourism after the eruption last week.

I wish you the best of luck in your new venture. Keep an eye out for some real estate for me. I read that the gringo americans always pay more than the local tica's.

crtreedude

Sounds like next pig roast is at my place!  8)

Don't worry about Arenal, it's being doing this for 30 years. This last one wasn't even a big one. The last significant one was about 4 years ago.

You and I might both be dead of old age before Arenal becomes dormant - these kind of volcanoes erupt for decades, if not centuries. Nothing really terrible, but makes for really nice hot springs. The volcanoes that worry me are the dormant ones.

Of course, I have no plans on hiking up the slopes of an active volcano... ;)

Pete J

I'd be happy just drinking that Costa Rica "1820" coffe every day. The Brita brand didn't seem to do anything for me. I don't understand it's popularity.

That Centanario Rum is also the best I've ever had.

Many "Bests" from Costa Rica in my book.

Now just stay away from those snakes!

crtreedude

You can order the best coffee from Costa Rica from http://www.tesdelsol.com/ , I know the owner and this is my favorite coffee. Unbelievably smooth. It also helps the locals because she gives them a better price because it is organic.

The 1820 coffee is not even in the same league. I almost feel bad getting you all addicted like this.

Tom

I was watching the discovery channel last night and they were talking about Costa Rica.  Then they started showing alligators and snakes.  Looked and reminded me a lot of florida.  Then  they started showin more snakes and I said "Geez, they have a lot of snakes".  Then they started talking of the most poisonous snakes and how they get into houses. Costa Rica has 7.5% of the entire worlds snake fauna.  They showed one that causes more deaths than the others and talked of how you are dead if bitten.

They have Boas and Anacondas that reach 18 feet in length.  A snake like that could eat a person.

The most aggressive and poisonous is the fer-de-lance or terciopelo.  It looks a lot like a rattlesnke but has an aggressive nature.

I decided that Costa Rica might just be one of those places that I would rather watch on TV.  :D

Jeff

I saw that too Tom!  Watched that girls battle to keep her life, then her leg. no kidding. That one show ruined any notion I would have to visit Costa Rica!

They said all you have to do is have a warm body to be a potential target for that snake.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

Florida is a lot worse for snakes mi amigos. And, no, I have never heard of one in a house. All the time I have spent in the campo, I have yet to even see ONE snake, much less a fer de lance or a bush master, not saying that they are not there.

An 18 foot snake can't eat me, I am too big.  :D

The only people who normally get bit are the campesinos boys who won't leave them alone. It is very rare for anyone else to get bit. If anyone would like, I'll get you the statistics.

Of course, I can wait to find an 18 foot snake!

By the way, I always think of the Discovery channel as Horror shows for Geeks.

Fred

Jeff

Thats me. Geek. :D  And Hate snakes. I have only personally fired three guys in my life. The first one was for drapeing a garter snake over my shoulder while I was sawing because he heard I didnt like snakes. Hes lucky he only got fired and that he was real fast.

crtreedude

When I was a youngster I was influenced by a guy who loved to catch snakes, so every time I went to Missouri for vacation, I would go hunting snakes. I would bring them back in my suitcase. Pretty soon mom learned never to open up my suitcases after a trip!  :D

One time we were bailing hay and I was with my cousin. I noticed that he had a pistol on. I was 14 at the time and being from the North in a suburb, I figured maybe there was such a thing as a hay bale rustler. Well,, after some time I heard a shot, scared me good. He used the pistol to kill rattlesnakes that got baled into the hay. Boy were they ever mad. We would kill 1 or 2 a day.

Jeff

O.K., I aint sitting on hay bales anymore either.

Patty

When I was a kid we used to find snakes in the haybales, only they were usually just a half a snake, the other half would be still on the ground or in another section of the bale. No rattle snakes, either, just bull snakes or garter snakes. The only good snake is a dead snake..  ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

We used to catch em for pets as a kid, course we don't have any poisonous ones around here so it was pretty safe to do. I caught a bull snake in our basement some years ago, it was about 3' long. Brought it out to show the carpenter that was working on a stepladder at the house, he must have jumped a foot off the stepladder and went running. How was I supposed to know he was afraid of snakes. :D

Patty does that mean the next one I catch you don't want me to save for a pet. ;D

Patty

Only if you kill it first.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Bruce_A

Jeff B;  Have you ever heard of a timber rattler?  Don't sit on a log either.

crtreedude

Just thought I would drop a note to say we got here, safe, sound but probably not sane. :D

Anyone traveling to Costa Rica to the North Zone, drop me a line. I will continue to put up interesting stuff (and pictures) about logging in Costa Rica, and other things that might interest the group.

By the way Jeff, I won't make the pig roast, but we are planning on having one at the end of planting this year - If you come down, I'll keep the snakes away...

Fred

Thank You Sponsors!