iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Fun Friday

Started by Magicman, December 09, 2011, 08:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Dodgy Loner and I spent the afternoon sawing.  First Cherry and finishing with Sassafras.  He will have to give a tally on the amount that we sawed, but he has gotta stack it first.  ;D

He had about 15 logs.  The knotty, hollow, ugly Walnut is not his.   ;D

Loaded and ready to travel.

I kept a close eye on my Logrites.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

The "new" Daddy looks good!  I am jealous about the sassafras.  That is one species that I have never sawn, but I have seen the wood and it looks like ash with a cinnamon blush to it.

If what I see in the log picture is cherry, those were some fine ones!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Are you doing any hiring Magic?   :)   You gotta 'em lined up.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Yes Danny, he had some very nice Cherry logs and only one showed any sign of stress.  The Sassafras was twisty, but it still turned out some nice lumber.  Smelled nice also.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Justin has a nose for wood.  I bet the sassafras smelled delicious.  Now, I want some!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

We never even talked about you....well....maybe we did.   ;D   :D

WDH

Maybe I will get to see him and his Dad over the Holidays.......

Magicman

We were running & gunning, so we really didn't have much time for conversation.  He will be back next week to help with that Walnut.   :-\

WDH

He is good with walnut.........

Magicman

He would have to be very good with this Walnut.   :D

Tony

Good looking whack of boards 8) 8)

What was the dia. of the sassafras?  Here in N. MS the sassafras we have on our land might make a good fence post, but not grow big enough to saw. Seems like they get a little bigger than fence post size then die. :o >:(

Tony 8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Magicman

This Sassafras was probably 16" little end.  I know of a Sassafras stump on my place that is probably over 4', but most by that age are hollow.  I think that their root system is their weakest link.  Now I'll have to read up on Sassafras.   ;)   :)

submarinesailor

Quote from: WDH on December 09, 2011, 09:34:06 PM
Now, I want some!

Danny,

Next time you are in Virginia, come by the house in Madison.  I have some big ones and we can put one on the ground for you.  The last one we put on the ground was about 32".  Made a real nice set of kitchen cabinets for a log home in Fairmont, WV.

Bruce

mikeb1079

nice pics mm, thanks for posting.  it does look like dodgyloner is getting a little too familiar with that nice orange cant hook.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

WDH

Bruce,

If it comes with Spring Rolls, I will be there tomorrow  ;D.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Looks like you both had a bloody good friday fellas  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

TreeWinder

Now that's a nice day at the office
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

ljmathias

Sounds like you two had a very fun day, as in the best kept secret in America is that productive hard work is fun.   8)

I've let a few sassafras volunteers start to grow up just to see how big they'd get and what the wood would be like- so how long do I have to wait?  As long as for my giant sequoia to reach full height?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Meadows Miller

Quote from: ljmathias on December 11, 2011, 03:22:29 PM
Sounds like you two had a very fun day, as in the best kept secret in America is that productive hard work is fun.   8)

Lj

Thats Spot On Lj More people should try it hey Mate  :) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Dodgy Loner

It was a fun day, indeed, MM. I am still sore from moving all that lumber! I finally got the last of the wood stacked this afternoon. But it was nice getting to look at all those lovely boards a second time. I still can't believe you made it through the whole pile without changing blades! That was some real magic there :o

Danny, you are right, I had some fine cherry logs in queue. There were 11 cherry logs from 3 trees that were growing at my friend's camp along the Bogue Chitto River. The average sawable length of the logs was 33' - considerably better than what I was typically able to find in GA! The DBHs were 14.5", 18" and 22". There is still a 23" cherry out there with a 60' sawable length that I still have my eye on ;D

Magicman was right about the size of that sassafras, too. The largest log was 16" on the small end, and the other two were around 14-15". I have seen a lot of 11" and 12" sassafras out here, but this one was the biggest I've come across. The top of it blew out when a tropical storm came through in August.

I ended up with 210 b.f. of 5/4, 12' cherry (all from the same log - it was the biggest of the bunch) and 75 b.f. of 16/4 cherry. The 16/4 consisted of only two "boards" - one 11" wide and the other 14.5". They were the hardest to move!

The rest was mostly 4/4 in 8' and 9' lengths, with some 7/4 and 8/4 thrown in for good measure. I don't have an exact tally on that stack yet, but it's a little over 800 b.f. (~650 cherry and ~150 sassafras). So the total count was about 1100 b.f.

I will post some pictures of the stacks when I get a chance :)

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Awesome!  I like the way that you and MM cut the cherry with the variety of thicknesses.  That is a whack for sure and worth good $ around here.  I get over $3.00/BF for 4/4 or a little more as long as it is not split or cracked bad, which is a problem near the pith.  On small logs, there is almost certainly a throw-away board or two at the pith.  With bigger logs like you had, you can cut the pith out and still have a decent q-sawn board.

You should be set for cherry for a while  8).

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on December 12, 2011, 08:05:17 AM
I like the way that you and MM cut the cherry with the variety of thicknesses.

Say what?  I didn't get to make any decisions.  He told me what he wanted.  I just had to figure out how to get it.   :D  smiley_thumbsup

WDH

He sounds like a customer that knows just what he wants.

Magicman

And due to my superior sawing abilities,  :o  He got it.   :D

Dodgy Loner

I had a lot of time to eye those trees and think about what I needed. There were not many throw-away boards with these logs. The best of the bunch were the 14.5"-wide, completely clear boards from the butt log of the 18" tree. I'm still on the lookout for a tree that will yield some 18 or 20"-wide cherry boards, so I can make a dresser out of one board ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!