iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Fun Friday

Started by Magicman, December 09, 2011, 08:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

That area seems to be real good for cherry based on what MM  has posted before.  That seems odd to me as South Miss is a long way from prime cherry growing country.  Must be something in the water.  I am sure that you will find that big cherry for your dresser.  Is everything big in Miss, like Texas?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Danny, our Cherry trees are considered low grade and are generally marked as pulp trees.  Often these and also Hickory have been left by the loggers as being uneconomical to harvest.  The result is that there are places with some very large Cherry trees.  I am needing some 16' Cherry 1X6's so I took a walk through my woods last weekend.  I easily found two candidates.  One within sight of the Cabin's back door.

Folks always seem to want Cherry and Walnut lumber, but are unwilling to pay much for it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dodgy Loner

The cherry trees around here may not be highly thought of by loggers and foresters, but I think that it is a missed opportunity rather than a reflection of the quality. Having sawn a lot of cherry that would be considered "low grade" back in Georgia, I am nothing short of delighted by the quality of the trees I've found around here. They are generally taller, straighter, clearer, and less affected by black knot fungus than the cherry trees that I dealt with in Georgia. I drive down the road and rubberneck at the some of trees I pass on my daily routes :D

I know of at least one sawmill here that sorts out their cherry logs and sells the lumber at a premium compared to the red oak and poplar that is their bread-and-butter. I am surprised that more mills don't do the same.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!