iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

newbie - one tree at a time

Started by opticsguy, March 12, 2012, 12:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

I am newbie (Newbee, newbyee?) Ok, new guy to logging.

I have and use a small tractor, 29hp, 4 wheel drive for moving my logs.  Problem is dragging a log by cable is difficult as the log often catches on roots and other obstructions.  I have used my fork lift attachment on the three point for hauling and moving but am limited to length and weight of the log. Also any slight grade uphill doubles the load and effort.

Are there any alternatives?  This my hobby only to support my band mill. 

Thanks for your replies.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

roger 4400

Hi and welcome. For the size of your tractor a log arch would be fine and your logs would be clean. Go on the search button and if you write log arch you should see some photos. Good luck. Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

beenthere

Welcome
Beside a log arch, pull logs with the leading edge lifted off the ground.

I use a 32 hp tractor and have in the past, used smaller such as Ford 8N.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MHineman

beenthere has a good idea for an inexpensive way to skid logs.  He is using a quickhitch in the picture.  I didn't have one, but instead used a hitch bar that goes between the lift arms.  His quickhitch gives a little more lift than my hitch bar did since he's pulling from the toplink.
  I used tongs too.  I like them better since a cable doesn't hold the log as close to the tractor and therefore is lower to the ground when being pulled.
  I used 3 feet of chain with a hook on one end on the hitch bar.  Then wrapped the chain around the hitch and a hitch pin through the chain.  The tongs have a hook to grab the chain. 
  I used that for a while and then decided I didn't want to cut a tractor path to every tree and got a skidding winch.
  You probably don't want to spend the $3,400 my skidding winch cost, so using a $200 quick hitch or $30 hitch bar is good choice.
  Another option instead of tongs is a choke chain.  It has a hook on one end the chain can slide through and a pin on the other to fish the chain under the log.  You just need a way to hook the chain close to the tractor then.  Three Rivers Forestry has the choke chains for sale.
  Be sure to have a FEL or other front weight especially when going uphill.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Bogue Chitto

Old hay lift and logging tongs.

Bogue Chitto

g_man

You can go to a place like Tractor Supply and for around $50 or less get a cross draw bar and a tractor hook. Put the tractor hook(s) on the draw bar, put the draw bar between your lift arms and you can hook up to two chains or chokers into each tractor hook. This will let you lift the butts up off the ground and make the going much better for you.

gg

MHineman

That hook is much better than what I used.  The choke chain is exactly what I have.  I use the choke chain with my skidding winch too.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

opticsguy

Thanks to everone for the ideas and suggestions.

The logging tongs on the 3 point hitch looks like a much easier item to use and build versus a log arch.   I see the cross bar with chains set up in the previous post but fail to understand how this will work as I dont think the 3-point hitch would have enough lift height.

I do have two mobile home axles with wheels and tires (4) so a log arch is certainly a possibility.

What size tongs to buy?  Logs 10" up to about 28" and a good source?

MHineman

The tongs I use were sold as "25 inch tongs".  I'll measure them tomorrow, but that sounds about right for the widest opening.  I've used them on logs up to about 34 inches, but over 30 get to be a pain to get then set just right.  You only have to get the points dug in good, not exactly opposite sides of the log.
  I think I got mine for a forestry shop nearby.  I'm not sure where they got them.  The shop is in Greensburg, Indiana.  The name is Herbert Sawshop.
  I expect Bailey's online probably have them too.
  I also have a set of 32 inch tongs.  The points are not set right and pull out.  I got those from the same place as my 25 inch tongs.
  Unfortunately, I've had them long enough I'll have to "adjust" them myself instead of returning them.
  I now know to look more closely at the angle of the points at the widest jaw opening.  It seems to need to be hooked about 5 degrees off a right angle toward the pull.  The harder the pull, the more the points dig in.
  A log arch costs a lot more, but the log will be cleaner and you won't tear up the field, yard, etc. dragging a log around.

Bogue Chitto

thecfarm

You should be able to pick up a good size log with that 29hp tractor. I doubt you will pick up too many 40 feet long,but 16 should do it. Those 28 inch ones will test it,but cut into 8 feet ,maybe? You really need to get the front of the log up in the air. But remember if the front wheel goes over sharp, small hill,the back of the tractor will go down and the log may catch up on something. A 3pth winch is pricey,but had mine for almost 20 years. Not many ATVs or snowmachines would still be around with the things I have done with my winch.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company has several types and sizes of skidding tongs. Sharpen them for less frustration.

opticsguy

Thanks again for everyones help. I try to buy my tools made in USA if possible, and currently looking on craigslist for tongs.  I do prefer not to purchase low quality tools made across the ocean.........

No hurry on purchasing tongs just yet, i got a few weeks before i drop my first really big tree.    The wheel arch looks like an excellent alternative but a big project for me, i would rather be cutting wood  :-)  An easier project is the cross bar hitch for my 3 point.

An off topic here but this afternoon, going out to look at a 1925 Ford TT truck that is up for sale.

g_man

In general I agree with you on buying tools. If you buy imported tools you need to know what you are buying and what the demands of the job at hand are. There is definately a lot of junk out there. It can come from any country including the USA. Unfortunately. It is very frustrating trying to use a tool that is to small or to low in quality to do the job.

That being said, I do think that a hobby logger, skidding logs which can be handled by a 28 hp tractor, will find the less expensive tongs more than suitable for the job he needs to do and a reasonable choice when  looking at the price trade-off.

Thank You Sponsors!