iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fisher & Davis Pics

Started by tfoley, September 22, 2006, 11:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfoley

First I would like to thank everyone for their reply,  especially Unclebuck for his help.  I
believe this forum has a lot of knowledge that you just can't find anywhere. 
   I've included some pictures of this mill I would like to refurbish.  If all I wanted to do was
saw lumber, a wise man would tell me to foreget this project and buy a band saw.  But I
really have three reasons;
        1. Memories
        2. It's a beautiful piece of equipment
        3. I would like to hear it sing again.

Again, if anyone hears of a Fisher & Davis Sawmill, please leave me note.   

Thanks Tom Foley

Fla._Deadheader

First Mill I owned was a Mongrel. Had a Corley husk and a Fisher-Davis Carriage. The heavy balls were straight out from the dog spikes. A heavy off center log would pull the dog spikes out from the headblocks. Didn't like that one bit. Filed grooves in them and it helped a little. That Carriage had cast-in measurements and would take a log bigger than 42". That's as high as the figures went. HEAVY rascal, it was.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

UNCLEBUCK

Mill sizes like #1,2,3,4 etc are just that . #1 being the smallest and then it jumps in size of timbers it is built with around the husk etc.. Bigger and heavier husks and belts and carriage etc on a #4 than a #1 . 

Looks like all these old mills manufactured during when there was alot of demand and competition kind of used this 1,2,3,4 as a standard like we use 1/2 ton,3/4 ton,1 ton trucks etc ...

My scanner is needing connection so I used Buzz's trick and just took a picture  ;D

I can try and zero in better if ya need . No trouble at all . Sandblast,paint, a few knick knacks and some wood and youre ready !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

UNCLEBUCK

I put a few more pics in my gallery for you ok.  Just a guess but most of the mills sized as #1 used mostly timbers of 3-1/2"x9-1/2" size for material so if ya cant get it I wouldnt be afraid to use store bought boards and glue packs of them together and run em through a planer and suck em in good because you will be having carriage bolts stuck through a hundred places in your wood by the time its done . Looks like pine is used everywhere . Have fun and actually I think youre in really good shape there once you get it up out of the grass ! Thats as far as I can help so Harold and Buzz and many others will be of more advice . U.B.  :P
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Ron Wenrich

The first mill we run was a Fahrquahr mill that was rewooded.  They used straight grained Doug fir for the new wood.  That worked pretty good.  I imagine you might be able to get away with a good southern yellow pine.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Fla._Deadheader

I used Creosoted SYP in Arkansas. Used 4" X 6" rails. Corley rails are 4" X 6" , I THINK. Hey Greg.  ??? ???

I set up concrete piers on 12" thick footers, and bolted 2" X 8" boards down on them. Used Angle Iron to bolt the rails to the 2 X 8's. Mill never moved enough to notice. Sawed some of the straightest lumber for miles around. I have older photos in Florida, that have turned reddish from age. I'm going back there in 3 weeks, if ya wanna see what I did.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

tfoley

Really appreciated the pictures, it's nice to see what this mill will eventually look like.  I
know my pictures didn't turn out very well.  By the time I shrunk them, to fit within the
forum's limits, the quality went south.
     Tried looking at some of the details in those pictures, but when I zoomed in it became
very distorted.  If you have time, e-mail the pictures full size.  Thanks in advance.
      Again, thanks for the information.  Iv'e learned more in the last week than Iv'e learned in
the last couple of years.

Corley5

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on September 23, 2006, 08:47:57 AM

I used Creosoted SYP in Arkansas. Used 4" X 6" rails. Corley rails are 4" X 6" , I THINK. Hey Greg.  ??? ???

I set up concrete piers on 12" thick footers, and bolted 2" X 8" boards down on them. Used Angle Iron to bolt the rails to the 2 X 8's. Mill never moved enough to notice. Sawed some of the straightest lumber for miles around. I have older photos in Florida, that have turned reddish from age. I'm going back there in 3 weeks, if ya wanna see what I did.

I'm pretty sure the #5 has 4x6 wood in it.  I'd bet on it but will have to check to make sure ;) ;D  I've got one dog on my Corley that is almost exactly like the ones these pics.  Get her up outta the grass and buy a five gallon jug of Rust Reaper 8)  It'll saw again :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!