iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

heart pine

Started by Rob in NC, May 17, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob in NC

Ive got some pine logs stacked up for milling and there are both longleaf and yellow pine in the pile - some of this has pretty decent heart in it and is from older areas along the coast. Is this stuff going to be old enough to make good heart for flooring? What is it about the 200+ year old pine that is so much different from the 80 +/- year old stuff we can find around here? Im assuming the growth rings are tighter in the older wood and the heart is larger so you get wider cuts but does this mean this pine wont be suitable for flooring or that it will look a lot different?

2012 Lt 35 manual

Lawg Dawg

Looks pretty good to me. ..not quite as tight as the old growth. ..I'd do whatever I wanted to with it!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

Quote from: Rob in NC on May 17, 2016, 11:39:37 AM
Ive got some pine logs stacked up for milling and there are both longleaf and yellow pine in the pile. 
Actually, Longleaf is also a yellow pine.  The hearts are relatively small in those logs but some of the lumber will show the traditional Longleaf characteristics.  Saw, use, and enjoy it. Scroll down to the 9th, 10th, & 11th pictures. LINK

As you mentioned, the principal difference between 80 and 200 year old trees would be the size/amount of heartwood and the tight growth rings.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Heart pine can be in ewp too can't it or am I wrong?  I sawed some old pine a week or so ago and I think it could be called heart pine it was red (not red rot) and real heavy and had a cool look flat saw  I have a picture somewhere I'll put it here sometime
Boy, back in my day..

Seavee

As MM has said before Longleaf is some Purdy stuff. I agree.
Quote from: Magicman on May 17, 2016, 07:56:07 PM
Quote from: Rob in NC on May 17, 2016, 11:39:37 AM
Ive got some pine logs stacked up for milling and there are both longleaf and yellow pine in the pile. 
Actually, Longleaf is also a yellow pine.  The hearts are relatively small in those logs but some of the lumber will show the traditional Longleaf characteristics.  Saw, use, and enjoy it. Scroll down to the 9th, 10th, & 11th pictures. LINK

As you mentioned, the principal difference between 80 and 200 year old trees would be the size/amount of heartwood and the tight growth rings.   
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

Magicman

Well actually the heartwood in any Pine log is heart pine.  The name in SYP territory anyway is associated with the resin rich heartwood that seemingly never rots and makes good fire starting wood and has accumulated many slang names such as fat lightered.

Many building timbers and sills were heart pine, I guess because it would not rot and certainly termites would not be attracted to it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Right, that's what I'm talking about.  I talked with a couple old timers who said they've seen old stumps in the woods round here that are real old and haven't rotted and they figure it's that old heart pine.
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

I found this older thread to be an interesting as well as an educational read:  LINK

Rob in NC

thanks for the links MM

Sorry my terminology is off im sure - if its not longleaf pine then its white or southern yellow around here (correct or incorrect). Im sure there is a million sub-species of pine (I saw a list on here a few weeks ago with a couple hundred on it anyway).

in reference to the heart that's kinda what I thought - heart is heart the older just has tighter rings and can be cut wider because its bigger. Im gonna scrounge up the best/oldest I can find and that's what im gonna use for my flooring - if its not the rich color im after I will cheat it with some staining.

2012 Lt 35 manual

fishfighter

I have some 100+ year old pine flooring that came out of New Orleans. It is all quarter sawed. The grains are super tight. Very heavy and very hard.

I now have over 600 sf of this stuff, all 3 1/4" x 3/4". It is all going in the camp I'm building. ;D

Magicman

SYP may be a bit confusing but here is a good definition:  SYP  Notice that 4 Pines are classified as SYP;  Longleaf, Loblolly, Slash, & Shortleaf.

Thank You Sponsors!