iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The new type "SAFETY" gas can.

Started by Happysawer, October 08, 2020, 03:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happysawer

I was in need of a 1 gallon gas can and this is what i am stuck with today, it's about worthless not simple to get hose nozzle in it some type of mesh filter you can't remove, and getting any gas to flow out of it is a real task have to grab and pull something and then very little flows out.

Years ago you could find really good gas cans with great nozzles, think there was a spill and fire and after the law suit, the Company went out of business.

Then these new "safety" gas cans started showing up, i still have a few of the older 2&5 gallon cans but not a 1 gallon.

Sure are Government is looking out for me......NOT!!!!!

lxskllr

I like NO-SPILL™ gas cans...

Amazon.com

I'd buy them by choice, even if the old crappy gas cans were still around. They pour fast, and don't spill. Metal cans have a certain nostalgia factor, but they really were junk. Get rusty, and stuff gets a little bent, so you can't thread the dribble spouts on as well, and the dribble turns into a light stream.

realzed

https://www.amazon.ca/Husqvarna-Combi-Can-Chainsaw-Equipment/dp/B00T031DAE/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I bought one of these Husky deals and it worked for a while - then started dripping as I mentioned in my posted review on the Amazon site..
Back to regular 10 litre Jerry can and spout for me now - no advantage and $50 poorer from expecting a Husqvarna quality piece and not finding any improvement over the old way of doing things..

doc henderson

lxskllr, I like those a well.  not so much the 5 gallon, but the 2.5 gallon is right with the stihl oil mix.  you can shut it off without having to tip the jug up. perfect for chainsaws.  the scepter looks like the nozzle holds more fuel than the can.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

lxskllr

I got the 5G solely for filling my lawnmower. The gas tank's hard to get to, so you have to eyeball the pour to get it in the hole, and that works about as well as you'd expect. The can will probably pay for itself in a couple years of spills. I use a 1.25G can for my saws and stuff. I've never used that much fuel in a day, so it works out well for me. I fill it from a 5G can.

thecfarm

Quote from: lxskllr on October 08, 2020, 03:53:06 PM
I like NO-SPILL™ gas cans...

Amazon.com
We sell that kind at work. Took us a few cans to figure out what was good and what was not. 
Should be a you  tube on the cans too. Even works on a shot glass.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

I have that can that lxskir uses in a 1.25 gallon I use for my chainsaw and as Doc said, I like it for fueling the saw, only overfill/spill when my brain goes numb as it does sometimes. ;D

The size is just about right for me as the mixed gas in generally not in there long enough to develop 'issues'. Seems like every time I pick it up it is getting ready to refill.
 But I did get one of these old ones a month two ago I would like to try out. It is the old school version of the one Husky is selling now. 

I am still searching for nozzles to fit it so I can give it a good run. Right now I carry the gas can above and a gallon jug of bar oil around. Would just like to try having them in the same jug with one handle. If anybody has nozzles laying around, this one has threads that measure about 1.80" major diameter (OD) and somewhere between 1.60 and 1.65 Minor Diameter (ID). It's hard to measure for sure, but I think it leans toward 1.65. Love to try this jug out, it's a nice heavy plastic with low miles, not like the thin stuff they make now.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

trapper

I like the no spill to.  I also have a few of the old style with vent .  I buy 12-15 gallons of ethonal free premium at a time. Lasts 1-2 weeks. I keep my chainsaw scrench attached to the one mixed with oil for all the twocycle engines.  2 gallons at a time for saws, weedeater  and blower in the 2.5 gallon no spill.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

barbender

I bought one of the Husky combo cans the thing leaked horribly on the bar oil side until I realized I had the spout cross threaded😁 Works great now😊 I have several of the No-Spill cans, I think they're awesome. Even better than the old style spout and vent cans 
Too many irons in the fire

Real1shepherd

The OP's pic of the gas can is what happens when you have a thrupple with a bean counter, an engineer and a safety expert.

I'm a sucker for the old school double plastic cans;bar oil on one side, gas mix on the other. Their downfall was when the aforementioned thrupple happened. The last set I bought from Bailey's had a really bizarre spout system. You had to turn a collar and then push down on the spout. Hated that from the start. My local farm store has a couple of aftermarket spout assemblies that are pretty good at fixing up old cans.

I still have some metal cans....one is quite elaborate. They forgot to punch out the spout at the factory, so the guy I bought it from had never poured gas through it. Yeah, they rust and what not......but since gasoline is about the most volatile substance you can handle, there was always some comfort in stout metal cans. Other than that, I can make no arguments for......

Kevin

mike_belben

You can also stuff a scrench and file into the creases on the double can.  Its handy. 
Praise The Lord

Nebraska

I just suck it up and go spend 9.00$ at the local hardware store for the aftermarket flexible spouts to make new cans useable. The springloaded safety spout gets recycled......

Real1shepherd

Quote from: mike_belben on October 09, 2020, 09:00:42 AM
You can also stuff a scrench and file into the creases on the double can.  Its handy.
Any well-made wedge pouch is gonna have a place for a scrench, file, screwdriver and Spencer tape.

Kevin

doc henderson

some of the after market spouts come with 2 thread pitches to fit any can.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

hedgerow

My 2.5 gallon no spill gas can is my go to gas can for my saws. Have had that can for 10 or 15 years still works great.  Have a five gallon no spill and two five gallon old Sears plastic gas cans that are my mower, splitter and old tractor gas cans. 

Happysawer

Quote from: Happysawer on October 08, 2020, 03:40:34 PM
I was in need of a 1 gallon gas can and this is what i am stuck with today, it's about worthless not simple to get hose nozzle in it some type of mesh filter you can't remove, and getting any gas to flow out of it is a real task have to grab and pull something and then very little flows out.

Years ago you could find really good gas cans with great nozzles, think there was a spill and fire and after the law suit, the Company went out of business.

Then these new "safety" gas cans started showing up, i still have a few of the older 2&5 gallon cans but not a 1 gallon.

Sure are Government is looking out for me......NOT!!!!!

Happysawer

This is my old 2.5 Gal. Steel Eagle gas can i just put it back in service.

Al_Smith

I've got two of the older style plastic "blitz" cans for the mix gas .2 and 2.5 gallon .The larger are either government "GI " cans or 5 gallon metal .I'm not very  fond of so called safety cans .If you can't hit the hole use a funnel .How simple is that.
I usually keep about 20 gallons on hand, tractor, Jeep .lawnmower etc .The closest gas station is about three miles but that doesn't help you much when a storm puts the lights out .That's when you get a flashlight and hook up the generator but that takes gasoline you know .Mine, a 5 kw runs about 8 hours on 5 gallons of gasoline under a normal load condition .

Real1shepherd

Here is what I was talking about. This is a good product...has made all my assortment of plastic cans work again. The one picture you see has an extension on the spout to get two ft.....doesn't leak either. There is also an adapter you can buy to put on a 5gal Jerry can and use this spout....pretty slick.

In the package shown, they give you two different threaded pour caps....the company is really trying to get you back in the field.

The double can is from Bailey's...although the can itself says Briggs & Stratton...wretched spouts....one came completely apart with the spring and everything but I managed to snap it all back together again. Caps were lost the first week I owned it.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 08, 2020, 06:15:21 PM
I have that can that lxskir uses in a 1.25 gallon I use for my chainsaw and as Doc said, I like it for fueling the saw, only overfill/spill when my brain goes numb as it does sometimes. ;D

The size is just about right for me as the mixed gas in generally not in there long enough to develop 'issues'. Seems like every time I pick it up it is getting ready to refill.
But I did get one of these old ones a month two ago I would like to try out. It is the old school version of the one Husky is selling now.

I am still searching for nozzles to fit it so I can give it a good run. Right now I carry the gas can above and a gallon jug of bar oil around. Would just like to try having them in the same jug with one handle. If anybody has nozzles laying around, this one has threads that measure about 1.80" major diameter (OD) and somewhere between 1.60 and 1.65 Minor Diameter (ID). It's hard to measure for sure, but I think it leans toward 1.65. Love to try this jug out, it's a nice heavy plastic with low miles, not like the thin stuff they make now.
You might have a problem with those doubles. Find out who made them and Goggle it to death. Or look for some used one like yours on eBay that are complete.
The replacement set I picture above would probably not fit on your double set up....they don't work on my present Bailey's double.

Your set looks like one I had once....again, bought from Bailey's. I gave up on new spouts, but companies are trying to accommodate old cans now.

Kevin

lxskllr

You can get vents for new style cans also. I did that for my older 5G cans. I had one good old style spout that fit all the cans, so when I emptied a can, I'd swap the spout over. Without a vent, they'd glug. Drill a hole a hair under ½" and stick it in. That's to make sure it's tight. I think I used 15/32"

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Real1shepherd on October 09, 2020, 11:45:15 PMYou might have a problem with those doubles. Find out who made them and Goggle it to death. Or look for some used one like yours on eBay that are complete.
The replacement set I picture above would probably not fit on your double set up....they don't work on my present Bailey's double.

Your set looks like one I had once....again, bought from Bailey's. I gave up on new spouts, but companies are trying to accommodate old cans now.

Kevin
Kevin, the can I have is made by Wedco Industries in Canada. It looks very similar to the one in your last photo except for the vent arrangement. I wonder what the OD of the threads on your can measure?
 I don't think I could use a vented cap on the oil side it would make me nuts and I would have a lot of spilled oil. I need to see what I am pouring. I am getting used to it on the gas side because I can hear the change in sound with the gas and now when I am near topping off. Not so with the oil.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Al_Smith

I've got one of those double plastic jugs I found in the woods I've never used .Evidently who ever owned it wasn't  too fond of it else they wouldn't have left it .

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 10, 2020, 06:45:08 AM
Quote from: Real1shepherd on October 09, 2020, 11:45:15 PMYou might have a problem with those doubles. Find out who made them and Goggle it to death. Or look for some used one like yours on eBay that are complete.

Kevin
Kevin, the can I have is made by Wedco Industries in Canada. It looks very similar to the one in your last photo except for the vent arrangement. I wonder what the OD of the threads on your can measure?
I don't think I could use a vented cap on the oil side it would make me nuts and I would have a lot of spilled oil. I need to see what I am pouring. I am getting used to it on the gas side because I can hear the change in sound with the gas and now when I am near topping off. Not so with the oil.
The present Bailey's set I pictured has a vent built into both the spouts; oil and gas mix. They pour OK, but you have to hold down the 'plunger' spout on both of them while filling. I've never gone back to Bailey's to see if they offer replacement spouts because I hate these.

If it helps you any, I can measure the OD of the spout threads in either US or metric.

Kevin

Real1shepherd

Quote from: lxskllr on October 10, 2020, 05:01:50 AM
You can get vents for new style cans also. I did that for my older 5G cans. I had one good old style spout that fit all the cans, so when I emptied a can, I'd swap the spout over. Without a vent, they'd glug. Drill a hole a hair under ½" and stick it in. That's to make sure it's tight. I think I used 15/32"
I was going to mic that vent body and see what drill to use to make it tight....thanks for that. The 5gal can pictured has no vent. Hard to say what it had originally....probably a vent arrangement in the spout.

My son just gave me the can...I have no idea where he got it. Plastic gas cans are a dime a dozen to me, but I decided to re-spout all mine if at all possible. The ones that have no caps, I just plug with rubber stoppers. In the sun, sometimes they blow the stoppers out and are nearly impossible to find.

I have an old Eagle metal can, that one that became synonymous for 'Eagle'. They reproduce the original funky spout and sell on eBay. I've had a few, but the plastic is terrible; too stiff, especially in cold weather and they don't last....they also leak because the plastic is too stiff to seal properly.

Also, the insert cap(like the original) can swell and become impossible to take out without a tool.

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!