iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making it through another year, '23-'24

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2023, 09:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aigheadish

The shelf looks great Tom!

Bummer Bill didn't win, it sure seems like he needs more to do!

I wore and discussed your Woodsman shirt yesterday at work. I currently have a morning meeting and a couple of the guys were asking about it. Unfortunately, you are unlikely to get any new work from these discussions, but at least people are looking.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

Well, just a short(?) update. Added coats continued as time allowed on the shelf unit and I thought I had done the final coat on the top Friday, but Saturday morning it had not dried with a consistent sheen across the top so I did another light hand sanding cleaned it again, and laid on another coat with a slightly thicker layer of poly in the afternoon. I just came in from kicking up the stove for the day and it looks good. Pending a full inspection for unseen drips or marks, I am calling it 'done' and will let the client know later today and arrange for pickup.
 While the finishes were taking their time drying on the shelf, I started a batch of those device stands from some live edge scraps and/or board ends. Doing the batch in fragments between other stuff. Sanding all those blocks was the most tedious and I broke it up over several sessions because my hands were numb from the ROS. They are all sanded now and waiting for a wipe down and finishing. I'll set up a temp table over in the corner where they are out of the way and I can add a coat when drying allows. It will probably take a week to get those finished as a secondary 'thing'. Before I do that I have to use the same corner of the shop to take some photos of that shelf unit before it leaves. No idea how many stands I made and some are pretty funky and might get burned, but there is at least 20+ so I don't have to do any for a while except specials. I have had several requests for LP album stands (for display?) in the same design, but have been hesitating until I know what these guys really want exactly.
 While waiting for finishes to cure and my hands to get their feeling back I started another project, mostly just for fun, but as with most stuff it is a learning experience. About a year ago, my cousin in VT sent me home with a ice cream parlor stool that had no seat thinking I could maybe 'do something with it'. So I've had a year to think on it and since I can't turn wood I decided on an octagon seat pieced together from Cherry and ERC in a patchwork pattern. Started it a few days ago and last night did a bunch more work, still have a few pieces to cut as I work through it. I am finding challenges as expected, but the basic concept is coming along. Photos and more on this later.

So my friends Mike and Ruth and their band did a rare local gig on Friday night and before I could call them and ask if they'd 'put me on the list', a neighbor called, told me they were going and would I like to go along as their guest? Sure. Mike and Ruth are doing a short tour of gigs in the northeast sharing the bill with Sara Lee Guthrie (Arlo's daughter). Actually more like sharing the stage for most of it. I do so love Sara Lee's writing and singing, it's always a joy. Since she's moved to Austin, we don't see her around here as much, but she came up for a tour with her friends.  Mostly she does her own stuff, but she does throw in one or two of her Dad's songs (she did City of New Orleans Friday night). It was a great gig and a real blast as I don't get out much anymore. When touring folks like these play local they feel very much 'at home' and relaxed so the show is looser, less formal, and you can hear some treats or good stories. They had played south of here the night before and were going to Egremont, MA on Saturday night, then Boston, MA tonight before Sara Lee flies home tomorrow.
 My neighbors had a great time too and got involved in a very long business discussion with the club owner and we wound up closing the place around 2am. I am not used to that and just kind of 'hung out' waiting for the discussions to end. I still had to tend the shop stove before bed.

Needless to say I was pretty useless Saturday morning and I had two craft fairs I wanted to check out for next year. We got going late but we got 'er done, one was OK, the other, not so much. Then I got home and got some work done. I worked on those stands and the chair seat but was lacking in energy.
 Today we have another show to check out this morning, then I have to get to the mill and see about getting back on that shed order. Bill started pestering me yesterday about it. I guess he has a carpenter he wants to keep busy this week. The weather isn't the best but maybe he can lend me a hand today.
 It's just another day.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

Well, yesterday morning I did a final inspection on the shelf unit and my heart sunk when I found a few dried drips that were so fine that I missed them on the first 4 passes. So I sand it and cleaned it and got it ready for a light touch up coat. Then the wife and I took a ride to check out another show for next year. It was pretty cool out, but sunny, so a nice day and the vendors seemed in high spirits. Great location but terrible advertising. I'll call that one a 'maybe'.
 Then we came home, had lunch and I put a quick coat on on the shelf. I loaded up my tools and headed to the mill. The drive is exactly 2 miles, the first mile on blacktop town road, then the second mile on dirt private roads. Well, wouldn't you know it, but even on a Sunday I got stuck in construction traffic a half mile from the mill. >:(

Now that's Bill in the middle of the road filling potholes with a shovel. But I couldn't make out who the operator was in the Toolcat.

It was little Inga! No, she's not sitting there going 'vroom, vroom!' she is operating the machine and following Dad down the road and following his direction. 6 years old and cute as a button. Now she's an operator. Made me wonder when she is gonna start running the sawmill. :D

So after I got around the construction zone I drove up to the shop and dropped off his campaign signs I had collected off the roadsides to use for next year. Then I headed to the mill and found the newest 'acquisition':

Anybody need a tank? :D Then plan is to cut these old tanks into fire rings, apparently the bowl ends bring big bucks in that format. Who knew?

SO I got to the mill did some inventory work, and cleaning a bit, then Bill showed up with the Toolcat and I milled up some logs and he went off for other stuff, then returned and helped me cut slabs and close up.

I came back home and started doing some more work on this idea I had for a stool seat. I wanted to get some more time messing with that biscuit joiner and I also wanted to make this stool up and get it back to my cousin in VT. SO here is the basic layout of the pieces:

And here is where the biscuits will go:

I messed around with that for the rest of the afternoon and part of the evening, then again today. This piece will wind up being a full hexagon. Today I did all the gluing and trimmed it into the hex shape, forgot to get a photo, but you know what a hex looks like. The joints were not perfect and I knew I would have trouble with that, getting perfect 45's is a real problem I have not figured out yet. I knew I would blow it to some degree and today I had to do some epoxy fills where I screwed up. This isn't for sale, it's just a gift and I still think I can pull it off.

I did do a final inspection on the shelf unit and it is done. ;D

I'm pretty happy with the way my Cherry turned out.

Tomorrow I will either continue on that seat or be at the mill, or split more wood, or parts of all three. ;D
 Got cold here last night (22) and the shop dropped to 54 or so overnight. I still have not started the house stove, but it's all ready to go. Couldn't find it here on the forum what date I started last year, but I am right around the average start up date right about now. Just waiting until the consistent overnight lows are the case. Tonight the forecast is for a low of 34° which isn't bad. My shop firewood has a lot of crap because I burn anything there and it goes fast without a lot of BTU's. I think I will come up short there but I still have more crappy logs to process.
 Took the wife in for her follow-up visit on her knee problem today. Turns out she has pretty bad tendonitis which is the real cause of her pain, beyond that of the missing cartilage. So now she has to set up for PT, use topicals, and do some exercises for it. The good news is I get to keep working in the kitchen and helping her with whatever she wants. ;D

Tomorrow is another day.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Nebraska

Tendinitis is better than torn, hope she has a speedy recovery and that shelf project looks good.

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, I'm glad that shelf is done. I finally heard from the client today, she says she doesn't have a day off between now and the first of the year to come pick it up.  :-\ ??? Hmmmm. Guess I could have put that one off to get a different one done. I hope I don't get stiffed. But moving on...

Today was a mixed bag. Bill called last night to say they were building that shed today and although I had most of the basics done from the bottom up (as they build it), there was still some stuff missing off the order. So I headed down this morning and finished the header beam and the purlins, everything else had already been picked up. Bill showed up around 11:30 and found some stuff I had cut and forgot about that would finish off the siding, so we were done. He loaded it in his truck and ran it off to the crew. I milled out one more junk log to get rid of it and just made 1x6's and some OWB fodder. I started cleaning up and was nearly done. It was a beautiful day and hit over 60° with bright sun and no wind. Bill comes back, madder than a wet hen. Apparently the client talked to the guys building the shed and convinced them is was a 6x8' shed, not 6x10' and they went and cut 2' off of each on the hemlock floor runners just before Bill showed up. He was pretty ticked off because a) they took the clients word for it, and 2) they never gave him a call to check or let him know. I can tell you I was none too happy either.
 So we were in a hurry and we Grabbed a nice 20' hemlock log and bucked it into 2 10' logs, then made 3 more 6x6 runners and some more flooring for the next shed in a hurry, loaded them up and off he went. I cleaned the mill all over again.
 Life has gotten easier since we added the blower and we have been messing with 'next steps. The end goal is to get this stuff into bags he can sell. Containment has been the challenge. At first I just ran the hose out and let it go so I could get some wood made up. Last week we tried hanging the hose in a garbage can and that worked but once the level was halfway up, it would just blow out over the top. Then Bill remembered I gave him one of my Woodstock dust collector covers mad to fit a very specific steel garbage can (which he doesn't have yet). But this morning when I got in the Toolcat I saw two garbage cans and that top, so I set it up and the dang thing worked. 

Now we have to figger a way to have it fill the bags we want to use. I just piddle with it a little at a time and eventually we will have a system that works. Then we will change it. ;D
One log pretty much filled a garbage can.

Another small improvement that helps a lot are these stone pallets we are using for the new slab sizes. These have been standard around here for almost 100 years.

They are used to take slabs of bluestone and after a load is one, the two side racks are strapped together. The sides are on attached, they just drop in the pockets and will pull right out then there is no load on them. They stack easy that way. These are perfect for our 36" slabs. Shorter slabs mean more pieces and one log fill the forks, so I fill these after the forks are full. Just stuff to make things easier.

Anyway, came home, quick lunch and back in the shop. I sanded the stool seat I am working on, then ran it over the round router bit for the edges, top and bottom.  I layed out and drilled the screw holes, then put on the fist coat of poly on the bottom.

I don't know how, but I messed up the pattern and got things out of order. What the heck, I can't undo it now. It was just an experiment. I don't have the wood or time to do it twice and it's a freebie anyway.

I also put another coat of finish on these device stands. Just fill in stuff for shows and some of it is really junky wood, but all from scraps. Sometimes I give these away to nice folks.

I've got about 40 of them in this batch. Hopefully I don't need to make any for a while. I never really thought these would sell much at all, but I was wrong.

Tomorrow is another day and I'll be starting on the next commission job.

Old Greenhorn

Well I have not done much of anything important lately, but I am working full days, every day. We did take a few hours off for Thanksgiving and went up to my daughter's place for a nice dinner. I promised myself I wouldn't eat too much, and I don't think I did, but I was still uncomfortable that night.
 I posted some of the stuff I've finished in the last few weeks over on the 'watcha makin" thread. In between all that stuff I have been trying to get together enough wood for the next commission job, a stereo cabinet (no doors). I have some maple and ash I am doing some epoxy pours on the cracks and knots, and some red oak for the top. Doing epoxy means 20 minutes work, then 24 hours of waiting. I might be doing my first 'faux live edge' by joining on a live edge trim around the top, but we'll see. It's a new idea for me.
 So I had time to pull all the wood out of my lumber rack upstairs, add 2 shelves, and put it all back a bit neater so I can see what I have. It's better but I didn't make as much room as I had hoped.
 I reached the painful realization that I just don't nearly have enough wood to do anything of consequence. I have been culling out the junk and making trinkets where I can. I have pulled stuff off my drying racks into the shop and reclaimed some of it, some isn't worth it. A hard lesson in caring for my wood, or not. >:( The last couple of jobs I have been sucking wind for wood. So I need to fix that. I do have some decent stock for making rustic benches and such, but they take a lot of storage room when done.
 So I have been doing a lot of soul searching and know I need to make wood and get it dried. This isn't the greatest time of year for me to do that. I don't even have any EWP wood in stock the make anything with.
 I think I have to borrow a machine and long trailer from Bill, load up my logs and get the down to the mill and make lumber, then fix my drying racks and get the wood going. Perhaps save some money for kiln drying at the end of the winter. $1.50/BF adds up quick.
----------------------
I still have some lousy wood to split and burn. This last load I got is terrible to the point that I don't even want to stack it. So I am splitting it and leaving it right on the trailer parked outside the shop side door and it goes right into the stove. I can't get much BTU's out of it, it needs a lot more air to get going and then it burns fast. I just want to get rid of it before the cold weather sets in. I count it as a buffer, saving my better stuff for winter, but its a lot more work and won't really hold an overnight fire well, if at all. We are already into the weather where working at the splitter doesn't appeal to me. Today didn't make 40° and was damp and overcast all day. Snotty. But I have to get wood split and I have to get logs milled, so I'd better figure it out, right?
------------------------
I have one more show to go, on the 10th, and I don't have high hopes for that. I should have taken in one of those shows in the last 2 weeks. Bad choice. Once I finish this show my income is pretty much done until Mushroom logs start in March. I am still watching for an enclosed trailer to store and transport my inventory in, but that will wait until I have the cash saved up. Right now I need the money for January taxes and insurance bills I know are coming in and I am still a bit short on that. I've got to find a better way to sell stuff out side of the show's and during the winter.

Ah well, tomorrow is another day and maybe I'll figure it all out then. :D

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

I was thinking of you and your mushroom logs earlier this week. I leave a climbing stand in the woods all year and when I went to use it this week it was in a maple from last year. As I inched up it I noticed mushrooms in the tree and thought you would be happy with it then it dawned on me - Do mushrooms grown in live trees? Then about 20' up I found the tree had broken nearly clean through but the top had not fallen yet. I very carefully and very quickly racheted myself back down to Terra firma and moved my set up to a good solid white oak. Evidently my tree died since last season and you do not want to use a dead tree for a climbing stand!

How is the upstairs "kiln" working? Is it still drying lumber as you posted earlier?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

There are (in my simple mind) 2 basic types of mushrooms, those that are parasitic (which are many fewer) and those that are decomposers, which the majority of the mushroom kingdom is. Finding mushrooms on growing (live) trees usually means they have 'an issue' and won't last long. There are also symbiotic mushrooms that will grow on live trees and do no damage.
 Generally anytime you see mushrooms on a live tree should give you pause. ;D

Yeah the 'attic kiln' is still running (as if I could stop it) and I have some junk up there, but in the cold months I don't expect much to happen. High temp up there today was 40 when the sun was on the roof this morning. In the good months, I could do some 'hobby quantity' of wood. but I can't put 1,000 pounds of RO up there. Right now I have mostly interesting pieces of various live surfaced small stuff like little burls and some hollow RO chunks I am trying to find uses for.

I have not gone up and checked the MC on the stuff up there lately knowing there won't be much progress.

Peter Drouin

Ann and I went to a lot of fairs and shows, some inside too. We went to one where a man was selling beautiful small stuff like end tables with dovetail drawers in them I don't think he sold much. And yes there were big $$. What I did see was a man who made bird feeders out of canning jars. He hallowed out the wood on the bottom to fit the screw-in lid into. cut slots for the food to come out. I think he cut the glass. Drilled 4 holes in the wood to put a 1/8" dowel in for the bird to land on. The dowels were inside the feeder. Some assembly is required. :D :D If I remember right he had a fixed wire on top with a hook, maybe he drilled a hole in it not sure.
Anyhow, everybody had one in their hand walking around at the show. Everybody loves bird feeders, especially the ladies, and that's where the $$ are. ;)

Selling for $20,00 each. The point I'm making is most people will buy things that are easy to grab and go with it.
Ann wanted one, I said why, we have 100 feeders already.  ::)
Thinking small things move well.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ianab

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 26, 2023, 10:30:08 PMSelling for $20,00 each. The point I'm making is most people will buy things that are easy to grab and go with it. Ann wanted one, I said why, we have 100 feeders already.  Thinking small things move well.

If you are selling at fairs or local markets, that's what people will buy. They don't go to those events to spend $1000 on furniture. The $10 - $50 range is more like it. Cutting boards, drink coasters, paper towel holders, and at this time of year, Christmas decorations.  

Now if you also make higher end stuff, then maybe have a sample or 2, some nice photos and business cards to give out. You might get a lead on a bigger sale. But your plan for the day is selling your 50 bird feeders @$20. If you do that, then it's a good day.  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WV Sawmiller

When I go to a Flea Market/Fair it is mostly advertising. I may sell enough bird houses and tomato stakes to pay the lot rent and I might sell a more expensive bench or two but mostly I talk to people and give out business cards and pick up a future sawing job or two. It is hard to gauge the effectiveness because often those future jobs are 6 months to a year down the road. But, since I like to meet people and talk I still have a good time. I also meet people with skills to compliment what I do so some may be future suppliers. I also refer my customers to them if they are in the market for what they sell and those vendors sent me some business so it all works out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

I just typed a detailed reply and fat fingered it away. >:( Suffice to say that the 'smalls' are nice extra money but they don't feed the bulldog (or taxman). They do get people in the booth and reaching in their pockets, but man would I have to sell a LOT to make any decent money. I do have over an SGU worth of device stands in the show stock now because they are moving. I am also working on the album stands I keep getting requests for. But all this stuff takes storage space I don't have, so I have to be selective.
 I do shows where the expectations are higher, not flea markets, I pick carefully because any show is a lot of work, it has to pay for itself. I avoid the very high end and we have a lot around here, that charge over $250 for a booth, then charge the buying public admission up to $15. or more. Those are just greedy money makers for the sponsors.
 I did a show in August where I sold a few device stands, but two major pieces and got a commission for a third (which I just finished), plus some other items I was hoping to stop carrying around like 2 cookie tables and a stool. I'd call those mid range items $40 - 60 or so. So I did pretty good at that one for my $40. investment plus time. The next show I did should have been better, but the weather was bad and the public made a poor showing. Still, even that wasn't a loser.
 This last show I have coming up is a crap shoot. Only 15 other vendors and juried. It is a royal pain to carry all my stuff inside and setup for just 4 hours, then carry it all out again. They also jacked the price up after I applied (said it was a typo), but I have an association with these folks and they made accommodations for my booth size (I have the only 10x10, the rest are 6' tables). I'll do it once as an experiment and see what happens. I am not real happy with their publicity so far. Still, I do a lot of 'networking' at these, just like Howard, and sometimes I make out better from that then direct sales.
 If I can find a trailer (and pay for it) then things should get easier and it will open the number and types of shows I can do.

WV Sawmiller

I just typed a detailed reply and fat fingered it away.

Next time hit Cntrl/Z immediately and see if you can't retrieve it.
Howard Green

aigheadish

I'll be interested to see your live edge addition. I'm considering a giant chopping block for my counter top that I think would like nice with a live edge on the front side, but all the boards of the block will be perpendicular to the edge...
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, well that live edge, if it happens, will be a Hail Mary that could fail in a spectacular way. :D I think I am gonna try it because I've seen some of the stuff Tule Peak pulls off and have been deluded into thinking that maybe I can do that too. :D :D
------------------
Today was pretty good. I didn't get anything completed, I didn't hit any goals, but it was a pretty good day I feel good about.
 As mentioned in earlier posts, my logistics issue has been on my mind a lot. I want that trailer, but it's not gonna happen anytime soon. My stuff is all stacked by the bay door since the last show waiting for the next, and last, one. After that show I dreaded carrying everything back upstairs for winter storage. Well it dawned on me a few weeks ago, that if I HAD the trailer, the stuff would be sitting out there in the trailer and cold all winter, and I am pretty good with that. I think the conditions will be tolerable as long as it's dry and no mice (they like moving blankets, which I use a LOT). It also came into my mind that I have my shed out back which is nice and dry and fairly mouse proof, but it's a mess. I have been meaning to clean it up for 3 years now but I'm always too busy that day. Plus, I haven't been able to close the doors because I have a 'temporary' air line running through the door (for 2 years now).
 So today I made a slightly less temporary airline hookup today and popped a new hole in the wall so I could run it overhead to the shop (which solved another problem of mowing and plowing with the line laying on the ground).

The air line now runs overhead along with the power line to the tower on back of the shop and is all re-hooked up.

Now I can close the doors, or open them. :) Then I started cleaning up the shed and it wasn't too hard to do either. I have been stepping over stuff in there for 3 years now and it took me 20 minutes to clean it all up. I even swept it out clean.

First time that left door was opened in 3 years I think, there was junk stacked up on it. A simple thing I should have taken time to do a long time ago. Dummy.
 Now I have plenty of floor space for winter storage and if pressed, a little showroom for visiting clients.

So now, after the next/last show, I can back my truck right up and unload. That is a small load off my mind.

I also did some more sanding and further epoxy pours salvaging wood for the next build. It's taking a long time and getting tedious to get it right before I start cutting fitting and gluing, and the client wants it by Christmas. He also added on orders for a handful of LP stands today. Gotta find more wood. ;D

Lastly, I ordered a new TV for the shop because I was having trouble reading the menus on the current one, it's too small. I found a good Black Friday deal (I think) on a google TV (whatever the heck that is). Also, I don't have a smart TV in the den by my desk. We want to drop cable TV, it's a waste, but I want a smart TV in the den to watch. So I'll take the current shop TV and move it to my den, then replace the shop TV and move forward on shutting off cable. But in the meantime, knowing the new TV was a big larger and not being happy with the location I chose for it anyway, I made up a new mount for the swinging bracket and located it in a better place (I think). Tomorrow I'll move the TV over to that bracket and be ready for the new TV. It's a small thing, I use the TV for company and white noise and I actually hardly watch it at all, just listen as I work. But it is 'company'. Sometimes I do put up videos from famous folks I know to learn me up on sawing techniques and such. I'm retired (even if in name only) so small things I can do to improve my comfort are things worth doing for me. I might try to take that little 17" tv in my den and figure out a way to power it up for shows and run a slideshow of my work. These TV's use such little power these days. I remember back in the 80's setting up a full sized color TV into our booth wall to run our demo videos on with a VCR. That was about 200  pounds of hardware on a shelf 6' off the floor. What a pain! Now, it's a 5 pound TV and a flash drive. I just need to figure out power. Don't know why those 12v TV's cost so dang much.

Anyway, tomorrow is another day, so it's time to start thinking about how I can make the most of it.

Larry

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 26, 2023, 09:19:11 PMI might be doing my first 'faux live edge' by joining on a live edge trim around the top, but we'll see. It's a new idea for me.
I do them frequently.  It's a way for me to get rid of narrow, hard to sell live edge slabs and a way for the customer to save a lot of cash.

Out of the clamps this morning and out the door a little while ago.  A countertop that goes behind a bar.  I split a narrow live edge slab and glued half on the countertop and the other half on a shelf that goes above the countertop.  The slab was 10' long and the rest of it went to edge some matching small end tables.  The boards behind the live edge slab on the pictured countertop were all #2 common so all low grade.  Customer will finish and I suspect it will end up looking high end expensive.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ianab

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 27, 2023, 10:36:43 AM

Usual reason for that is a long reply lets someone else post first. Then the Forum takes you to a page that say's "Someone else has posted...", but that might not be visible unless you scroll down. Then you see the new posts, and have the option to edit your post, or just confirm your post.  
So when you make a large post, scroll down right after you post, and make sure it went though. 
The other option is to select and copy all to clipboard just before you post. But 99% of the time it's that someone else has posted message. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

Quote from: aigheadish on November 27, 2023, 03:03:18 PM
I'll be interested to see your live edge addition. I'm considering a giant chopping block for my counter top that I think would like nice with a live edge on the front side, but all the boards of the block will be perpendicular to the edge...
Let the end grain butcher block "float" in the frame that's holding it. Then you can put any trim you want around that frame. Gluing the cross grain is asking for trouble, but if they aren't physically connected, no big deal. 

Ianab

Quote from: Larry on November 27, 2023, 10:21:02 PMdo them frequently.  It's a way for me to get rid of narrow, hard to sell live edge slabs and a way for the customer to save a lot of cash.

Yeah, a glue up like that is legit. A bit of epoxy to stabilise those knots, and it's a "solid hardwood bench top", without the huge dollar price. 

I've been putzing around with some salvage cypress and redwood logs, and making some 3 ft wide live edge slabs. But without machinery on site I'm limited to that we can handle. So they end up 4-5 ft long, I'll leave most of them for the log owner to use, but I'm thinking about selling "Table kitsets". Live edge slab, some 3x3 for the legs, and some 6x1 for the apron. Basically all the wood you need to make a small live edge table. 

aigheadish

Thanks for the tips guys. To float does that mean I need to cut a really wide mortise and tenon in the block and live edge respectively? 

Larry, when I made the cutting board for my sister I cam away with a couple 4' or so long live edge strips of Cherry that I couldn't throw away, so yeah, same idea. I'm pretty sure yours looks nicer than mine will. 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 27, 2023, 10:36:43 AM

No Howard and Ian, there was no way to save that post. Chrome has a magic hot key combination somewhere that instantly dumps the entire application. I hit it by accident when typing and everything was gone. I was only about 1/2 way through the post. You can't fix 'dumb'. ;D

doc henderson

Maybe control D...   :o   :)   :snowball:   sorry Tom! ::)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

My most common problem is I will accidentally paint a large portion of, sometimes all, my text and the next key I hit replaces it all. Sometimes the Cntrl/Z will bring that back.
Howard Green

firefighter ontheside

Usually when I fat finger my post away I don't take the time to type it again.  I just give up.
I too would like to have an enclosed trailer.  The money they want for even old used ones is ridiculous.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Well, another pretty good day here. Got a late start because I am reading a new book and just got it started. Clocked in at 10am and the first order of business was to change out the 4" dust collector line coming off the bottom of the table saw. I had some flexible aluminum dryer hose and galvanized pipe and I changed it to a clear flex line. I sensed it was really sucking like it used to. This is what I found in the flex line and pipe:

That might explain my airflow issues. ;D  
 Then I started back to work on the current commission job. I did some sanding on yesterday's epoxy pours, but frankly am getting a little sick of it. I figured it was time I started 'doing stuff' besides wood prep. SO I started on the top. Much as I wanted to avoid the faux live edge, I cam to realize I had little choice, and since Austin wanted to see how it works (or not) I had at it. I apparently got into it pretty deep because I didn't have but a short lunch at 3pm and then my wife had to call me on the phone for dinner. Lost all track of time and I didn't think to take any photos until the final glue joint. Normally I pre the live edge to get all the junk removed before and cutting and gluing. But this time I left it as is until it all together. I figured that would hide any clamp marks and make the blending easier. We shall see. ???

Using biscuits for alignment, but this piece has a little twist in it so I have to get creative . I glued the side pieces on first then carefully fitted the front edge.

It was a little tricky cutting all these and getting the corners of the live edges to come close so I don't have a lot of blending to do, and that came out better than hoped but I messed up on the overall length, which is still in spec, but I wanted a little more over hang than I got. After dinner I went out and glued and clamped that final piece on. Tomorrow more sanding again. I'll also start putting the sides together, more biscuits and gluing. The top is going to get a flood coat of epoxy per client request and I hope I can do this one faster than that bar. ;D Christmas is coming up fast. This wood has issues I am trying to resolve.

I feel an early bedtime tonight, I'm pooped. Tomorrow is another one.

Thank You Sponsors!