iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone logging with a winch truck?

Started by Pine Ridge, May 06, 2014, 08:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayMO

I used a 1-1/2 and 2 ton winch trucks for a few years to skid with. I have a 440 Deere now but wish I had a winch truck now and then for those extra long drags. You can pull a big tree fast enough to make the bark smoke on a good skid trail/road.
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

Pine Ridge

Ozarkgem it has a Garwood winch that is pto driven, The winch is old, either a 15 or 20 ton. I figure it started out on a military truck. Raymo that is FUNNY! I can drive this one 50 mph on the road, but it's not street legal. I'd have to put a spark arrestor on it to skid that fast! I'm still about to die laughing!
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

HuZzEy

we used this for about 10 years 

ridge logger

My  winch truck has a garwood winch on it pulls good and not had any trouble out of it in 8 years of use. Is yours a 2 speed , mine has high, low and reverse. I also put some bars from the front to the top of the cab to keep branches from slapping me in the head since window aren't a option. ;D

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: HuZzEy on May 09, 2014, 01:21:30 AM
we used this for about 10 years 

Very cool. A friend of mine built one similar. :-)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

bigred1951

got any pics of the truck in the woods skidding logs and working

ely

those are cool pics, I like the last one the best, is it a power wagon?
I would drive the first truck on the road it is better than what I drive now.

we used to log with a winch truck, but on the back we would run taller mud grip tires on the outside duals, then shorter tires with a set of chains on the inside duals for when the mud grips got too deep the chains would get after it.

Pine Ridge

Heres  a  few  pictures  last  year  when  mine  still  had  doors  and  a  windshield.

bigred1951

how well does it do in the woods. I been thinking about building a truck just like that to skid logs with but im worried it wont do so well in the woods unless the ground is flat and open

luvmexfood

It's amazing to see some of the things that are homebuilt. No blueprints to go by but they work. Lot of talent. Few weeks back I was at a fastmart and some guy who looked like he stared in Deliverence was gassing up a truck he had made. Old pick-up around 30ish that had been lowered, hotrod motor etc.

Anyway, I asked him if I could take a picture. His face beemed and he said sure. I would say he had a big smile on his face but you have to have all your teeth for that. Not making fun of him but the man had skills that would probably put him with the best Nascar builders.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Pine Ridge

bigred 1951  it  does  ok  in  the  woods,  but  they  do  have  limits.  you  need  to  cut  a  skid  trail  usually,  you  can't  run  over  a  lot  of  brush  and  limbs  or  you'll  be  replacing  radiators,  brake  lines  and  battery  cables. They  will  surprise  you  where  they'll  go,  and  sometimes  where  they  won't.  they  will  go  better  carrying  an  8 footer  than  skidding  a  tree  2 or 3  cuts  long. I  have  a lot  of  cable  on  mine,  and  in  really  steep  places  I  might  do  alot  of  winching.  they  aren't  for  high  production,  but  they  will  work.  The  more  you  run  one  the  better  you'll  get  at  knowing  what  you  can  and  can't  do  with  them. A  2 ton  4x4  would  be  good  to  build  one  from.  on  the  plus  side  they  are  usually  cheap  to  work  on.  luvmexfood  I  bought  this  truck  pretty  much  complete  from  a  friend,  he  had  bought  it  from  someone  else.  it  has  metal  welded  on  it  from  everything  imaginable,  they  just  used  whatever  was  laying  around.

ely

lovemexfood, those are generally refered to as ratrods... they are cool machines. my 17 year old is gathering parts for his as we speak. you think sawmillers are crazy get around a group of the rat rodders. I know there has to be a few amoung us.

BargeMonkey

That is pretty cool looking.  8)

Anyone who thinks that Appalachian Americans arent skilled needs their heads checked. Our long time dozer operator could not read or write, but could pull off grade and dirt work that I couldnt hope for.
This country has unfortunately gotten away from skilled blue collar trades, promoting obscure phony diploma's for people who end up flipping burgers. My brother has 6 years as an "historic art history" major and teacher. He runs a bar/restaurant now. I have some college and a decent job.

mike_belben

Bump for a new round of woods trucks i hope.  

I think ive found a much more roadworthy dually chassis to put the dump bed on for firewood delivery which frees up the tan F250.  Its welded front and rear and hates tar but loves woods.  

Im contemplating putting this twinline challenger telescoping boom on it, without the wheel lift.  I has 10k hydraulic winches with freespool and will go up nearly 20 feet.  I think itd work good for twitching shortwood to the trail where bobcat can load on the trailer.

Truck was my daily driver for a bit and could road itself as needed.  Initially i thought i was gonna articulate a nissan frontier crawler ive had but the 351 will outpull it and is turn key already.  Has great heat and can fit chains on all 4. 

I see this guy pretty often. Not sure what he uses it for.

Praise The Lord

barbender

I've heard of guys back in the day using the cable jammer loader trucks to cut short skid jobs with. Some of them could be spooled up with a decent amount of cable, they would drag cable out and winch everything back in to the truck. Buck it upn at the end of the day, load the truck with wood and head it home👍
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

Looking forward to see that beast setup Mike 👍

Thank You Sponsors!