iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What up Benches?

Started by doc henderson, February 06, 2019, 10:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

Lot of nice benches on these pages. My question is about benches for the outdoors. My church has a project where they want outdoor benches for trails in a forest and I won't be making them but will be using my mill to produce the lumber. The logs available are downed red and white oak which aren't air-dried and 2.5" thick sweetgum lumber which is air dried. Are these viable candidates for such benches? How dry should lumber be for outdoor use and what preservatives do you recommend? What should the moisture content be before applying preservative? Since the sweetgum is already dry is there a recommended preservative for it or should it be forgotten all together? I have made many indoor benches but never outdoor - hence these basic questions. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

gspren

My guess would be to use the white oak and if possible mount the legs to some "plastic" wood to prevent ground contact.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

beenthere

Thinking that the ilk of people hiking trails would prefer to not sit on a "bench" treated with a preservative. But maybe such a preservative will be mentioned here that will be more people friendly. 

The Aldo Leopold benches seem to be popular along trails. 
Build a Leopold bench - DNR News Releases

How to Make a Simple Garden Chair | Leopold Bench Design - YouTube
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Sawmiller

I agree with the recommendation for the white oak. If you can get hold of any locust, even small ones for legs, I would use that for the the ground contact. If you can put the feet on bricks, stones or concrete that should help too. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

I agree with Howard...  white oak, or black locust, or hedge (Osage orange).  You can impregnate with epoxy, and or roll a bit of copper napthalate on the contact surface, but it will be green.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kelLOGg

Ok. Has anyone used eco wood?
I sawed red oak for a neighbor who finished it with eco wood. He's pleased and it looks good. 
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

beenthere

Quote from: kelLOGg on July 08, 2023, 09:24:46 AM
Ok. Has anyone used eco wood?
I sawed red oak for a neighbor who finished it with eco wood. He's pleased and it looks good.
Do you have a link to eco wood?  And an msds that says what is in it?

Found this, but not sure it is what you refer to being applied to the red oak.
Eco wood treatment ruined my fence
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

In general, oil finishes soak in and give a planer finish but are easy to reapply.  poly and other surface finishes give a smooth surface and look good for a while, but after a winter, may peel and need sanded to refinish.  On some wood, my spar varnish lasts for a long time preserving the color some and not peeling, like on ERC.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kelLOGg

I've never used it but a neighbor did on red oak I cut for his deck. He liked it and the deck looks good. I read it is a powder that is dissolved in water and applied with a brush. 

doc henderson

Just went back through this thread, and Boys we have made some stuff! :coolsmiley: :thumbsup: :)

TimW

Awesome thread Y'all.  Keep it up, I may fall for buying more tools and trying my hand at stool making. ffwave
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

tule peak timber

Quote from: doc henderson on February 07, 2024, 11:20:14 PMJust went back through this thread, and Boys we have made some stuff! :coolsmiley: :thumbsup: :)
Doc , on your engraving/carving, what software do you use? I have one of your coasters on our kitchen table, thanks!
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

doc henderson

It is called engrave lab.  many use Corell draw and develop the art in a gray scale and then send to the engraver that is essentially a printer.  I can get you more info if you would like.  My engraver is an epilog helix 18 x 24 inch bed.

21incher

I use lightburn that is compatible with  most Co2, diode, and fiber lasers that don't require on proprietary software.  Like doc says, they are just printers. Some good online tools also exist for prepping photos for best results.  
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

doc henderson

21 what online tools are you alluding to?

21incher

Imag-r.com is one I have played  with. Lightburn can do the same thing but it doesn't have a great preview and can be hard for beginners.  There are several others also that I haven't tried. Some are supposed to be easy to remove backgrounds.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

doc henderson

that would be handy.  we have removed backgrounds the hard way.  trouble is always dark hair against a dark background, and the head looks straight on one side.

Thank You Sponsors!