iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

B.A.S.S tournament marshal

Started by doctorb, March 31, 2015, 03:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doctorb

BBQ on Wednesday night.  Fish Fry on Thursday. 

I fished with Dennis Tietje ( pronounced T.J.) on Thursday.

Kenneth "Boo" Woods on Friday

Bobby Lane Jr. on Saturday

I am writing an article on my experience and submitting it to Bassmasters.  So you guys will probably never get a chance to read it.  :D :D   So Den, all of what I saw will be in that article.  Once I get it finished, I can email it to you.  There's nothing secret or proprietary about my experience.  In addition to the fishing, the people were great.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Den Socling

That's all great! Congratulations!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good report Doc, you take the bait.  :) Now if you don't share with us, it didn't happen.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Doc,

Sounds like you swallowed the experience hook, line, and sinker (old saying). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gspren

Doc, if you want to do some flounder fishing with an amateur over in the Ocean City area this year let me know. I just picked up a new boat that hasn't gone fishing yet.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

pappy19

I see where the NFL has hired a woman umpire and I suggest that BASS hire a woman Marshall to be PC with the rest of the sporting world. When the guys have to pee, just ask her to turn her head. Not sure how the bucket would work. Don't laugh, it will probably happen.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

doctorb

Pappy - your a visionary!

Actually, we had two female marshals in this tournament, so the issue has already come up. 

One of my fishermen said he had a female marshal in a past tournament who he actually knew, and he played a joke on her.  As long as you are not traveling with the pro, it is possible to be paired with someone with whom you have an acquaintance.  Anyway, he told her he had to go, and went to the stern of the boat.  She just sat low in the seat facing forward and put her head on her knees.  After he finished his business, he reached down into "clean" water and sprinkled a little onto her.  As expected, she screamed.  I'm surprised he didn't get very wet. :D :D

I don't know if that story is true, but I found it hilarious.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

pappy19

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

doctorb

Dennis Tietje with an 8 pound, 0 ounce largemouth

Magicman

I could not help but to compare the pictures of you and Dennis.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on April 16, 2015, 09:29:10 AM
I could not help but to compare the pictures of you and Dennis.   ;)

I thought it was Doc too. :)

submarinesailor

Nice fish.  The largest bucket mouth I ever caught was 5-3.

Bruce

doctorb

Magicman

Nah, you are a keeper.  We would turn him back.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

Well, Bassmaster.com decided to put my account of my experience online.  If any of you are interested, here's the link:

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/three-days-bassmater-marshal

Den Socling

Very good but I see that you are very into bass fishing!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: doctorb on April 30, 2015, 09:56:56 AM
Well, Bassmaster.com decided to put my account of my experience online.  If any of you are interested, here's the link:

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/three-days-bassmater-marshal

See reply #5.......I was close.  :) Proud of you Doc!

WmFritz

I enjoyed that read, Doc. Thanks for sharing the experience.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

JJ

Hi Doc,
How do you apply for being pro fisherman.
It sounds like a dream job.

JJ

doctorb

JJ -

I'm not a pro fisherman, but I know that they have to win a certain number of points in a number of B.A.S.S sponsored local and regional contests.  It's complicated and requires a tremendous time commitment for the angler.  Furthermore, the monetary commitment is fairly prohibitive.  The entry fees are high, once you make the pro circuit, and you need sponsors to help support you throughout the process.

The instructions for application to be a Marshal in a B.A.S.S Elite tournament are on the Bassmaster web site.  Just search "Marshal" and you'll see a link.  You need to be a member of B.A.S.S to apply, but that's a lot different than being a pro angler.

thecfarm

A very nice write up. Tom would be proud of you.
Question,"Paul Elias erroneously placed a sixth fish in his livewell".
Why only 5 can be put in? Not enough room?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

I think there are several reasons why the pros can only carry 5 fish in their livewells. 

1.  Rules about having fish in your possession vary from state to state and from different types of licences that are available.  This rule give the pro tour a uniform number for fish being kept for all tournaments that keeps anglers and the tour from running afoul of the regulations in different jurisdictions.

2.  The pros are penalized if they bring in a fish that is not alive.  The tour has worked very, very hard to ensure the survivability of the bass brought to the weigh in.  I think their live release rate is about 99%.  If a pro has a dead fish in his livewell, it costs him a penalty in ounces.  He cannot "cull" that dead fish for a live one.  Theoretically, if a fish was alive in the livewell, but acting "stressed", an angler would be tempted to keep a sixth fish and then release the still living "stressed" one later, if that fish's health continued to decline.  The five fish limit prevents this.  As long as it is alive when he releases it, there is no penalty.  Whether a fish is alive or not is a determination of the marshal.  So the five fish limit forces the angler to release a fish that he's worried about, sometimes even before he has caught his five fish limit.   Obviously, if the "stressed" fish is very large, he would keep it and hope for the best, accepting the penalty.  You do not see a lot of dead fish at the weigh in.  This is probably a bigger problem in the heat of the summer than in spring or fall tournaments.

3.  The five fish limit does prevent crowding in the livewell, promoting successful catch and release.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!