Sponsors:

Did You know - outdoor edition

Started by WV Sawmiller, December 21, 2020, 11:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Roxie

Run for your lives.  :D

Speaking of color variants, took this picture of a brown sheep. He is on the far left, the one that Thanksgiving dinner is running toward. It's face is the same shade of caramel brown. Never saw one like that.

Say when

WV Sawmiller

Did you know that whitetail deer, especially the does with young around the area, make a loud, wheezing, sneezy call when alarmed? They will repeat this warning several to many times in most cases.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

HemlockKing

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 05, 2021, 10:51:16 PM
  Did you know that whitetail deer, especially the does with young around the area, make a loud, wheezing, sneezy call when alarmed? They will repeat this warning several to many times in most cases.
It's a fast exhale through nostrils, I hear this from them often.
A1

WDH

They are just clearing their nose because something stinks. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

HemlockKing

Quote from: WDH on June 06, 2021, 06:25:32 AM
They are just clearing their nose because something stinks.
Makes sense, I'm typically burning grass when they do it  :D
A1

WV Sawmiller

Did you know when an old whitetail doe "busts" you she will walk slowly toward you stomping her front foot? I guess when she does this to a predator it makes him nervous and causes him to charge prematurely and she has a much better chance of escaping. Foot stomping is often accompanied by or immediately followed with snorting/sneezing/air intaking because she smelled Danny, etc.

What surprised me was watching a cow waterbuck in Kenya in 12" tall grass doing the same exact technique when she smelled a leopard in the area. I think the leopard had already left or was just not interested in her as it never charged.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

On the black squirrels, when we were building a couple of houses just south of Lake Superior almost all the squirrels in the nearby town were jet black, something the locals took pride in pointing out. I just looked it up, interesting reasoning on cold tolerance, it sure got cold up there!
Black squirrel - Wikipedia

We were working near an old relatively short portage that would connect from the lakes, through a flowage system, to the Mississippi.

Tacotodd

I know that almost all of the ones on campus at UALR are black. I was told at one time that it was a different kind of albino-ism, but I don't think that it's true. Does anyone knows one way or the other?
Trying harder everyday.

WV Sawmiller

Todd,

I think you are saying the same thing Don P is saying above. It is a genetic condition that causes the black phase just like an albino. It makes sense if that trait helps the animal survive by keeping it warmer in cold climates, helping it hide better in the snow, becoming a protected animal due to social issues or superstitions (It was bad juju to kill a white buffalo or grizzly bear as I remember) it will will pass along those genes and if it mates with a like animal they will breed true to this trait. They will normally breed with other animals of their species but the young will most likely be normal colors. 

I think I read somewhere in Africa villagers were plagued with baboons destroying the crops, poultry, etc. so they caught a baboon and painted him white and turned him loose. Being very social animals it kept trying to return to his troop but the other baboons were scared of him so they kept scattering and running away and eventually left the area. I won't swear this is true but it is a good tale.

Did you know a black panther is such a melanistic phase of an African or Asian leopard or a South American jaguar. 
Howard Green

doc henderson

an albino lacks all pigment and will have pink eyes with blue sclera (instead of white).  the are also white squirrels (not albino) with white fur.  The black squirrels have two of the black fur genes (jet black) or 1 gene and have black mixed in the brown.  area that have a lot would be due to some natural advantage or good camo in a darker colored habitat.  If they survive better than other colors, even though this would be mathematically a smaller proportion, if more of them live then the mutant gene becomes more prev.  so kind of the opposite of an albino, and a genetic characteristic.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

so 2 black furred squirrels would have all back offspring. 1 back furred parent with a normal (no gene for black fur) parent would have none.  a black furred parent with a brown/black parent would have 50% black furred offspring.  and a pair of brown/black parents (with only 1 black gene each)  would have a 25% of a black furred offspring.  now we remember why we did not go into genetics.   :P ::) ??? :o :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

Now I will have nightmares remembering my genetics class. All my fruit flies died and the teacher gave me fabricated data to use to determine they had curly wing trait. It was a very rough period in my life and I was perfectly happy to never remember it again. Thanks a lot! You're a real pal. >:(  "May you discover pinholes in all your right hand rubber gloves. ;D
Howard Green

doc henderson

WV Sawmiller

Did you know the African waterbuck  has a thick shaggy coat of loose hair that sometimes emit a musky, greasy, foul smelling substance that makes it very unattractive to predators? Most predators will not attack one because it is very difficult to get through the loose hair to eat the meat anyway. I guess it would be kind of like us having to eat a skunk or such. It could be done but is not a particularly attractive option if there is any other game around.
Howard Green

Old saw fixer

Howard, I've known dogs with a coat like that!
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

WV Sawmiller

Did you know this is the time of year most whitetail fawns are born in WV? Unfortunately it is also the peak of haying season and a significant number are killed during the haying process. Does deliver and park newborn and very young fawns in the tall grass and when very young the fawns will not move until literally stepped on. When the mowers cut the hay the fawns remain in place and are injured or killed by the mowers. I had one neighbor that tried making a "tickler" out of PVC pipe and dangling chains he'd drive in front of the tractor. When the chains touched the fawn it would jump up and run. It had limited success and was costly to operate as it meant another operator and transporting another piece of equipment to and from the fields which were often located far from the farmers home. Many local farmers may cut hay in 10-15 different fields scattered over the county. For the years when weather conditions force hay cutting to be delayed the fawns have a much better chance of survival as older fawns will break and run quicker and survive the haying operation better. My feed dealer told me this week he had 14 fawns killed in one field a year or so back. You will always see vultures and crows circling and landing in the hay fields here eating dead fawns and snakes and such killed during the process.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Did you know that free ranging hogs were marked by cutting specific notches in their ears? These marks were registered with the county and were legal proof of ownership in court. When selling fresh pork my father said the seller had to have the head present to show it was his hog. A stolen hog with such notches was supposedly the start of the Hatfield and McCoy feud a little west and north of here.

Hog traps that looked like Lincoln log structures were built in strategic locations and hogs were fed around them. In the Spring and Fall they would be baited and the hogs caught. In the Spring the new pigs were caught, boar pigs were castrated and all had their ears notched showing ownership. In the Fall adult hogs were trapped, penned and fattened and butchered for the winter meat or sold as appropriate.

My mom has had a couple of instances of skin cancer on her ears over the last several years with surgery and plastic surgery required to remove the cancer and affected skin. I told her she needed to go to the county office and re-register her mark. I am not sure she appreciated the comment.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Did you know Trichinosis is a type of infection where a species of roundworm infects the muscles of the meat eating host? This is why you are always warned not to eat undercooked pork. Bears are also a carrier of Trichinosis so be equally carefully if you are cooking a bear steak or sausage. To be safe be sure to cook bear or pork to temperatures of 165 degrees or more.

In some cases beef or other animals can become infected with Trichinosis by mixing under cooked pork in their feed. 
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Did you know lights are used as a fish attracter? Throughout the south (and maybe up in the glatiated northern climes) people living along lake shores often attach long fluorescent lights to their docks just a couple of feet above the water level. When they want to fish they turn the lights on at dusk and the lights attract insects which fall in the water attracting small baitfish which in turn attracts crappie, bass, and other such predator fish. There have been heated disputes including shots being fired, between land/dock owners using such lights to attract fish and fishermen in boats who see the lights and come fish there too.

My derelict buddy in Cordele Ga along Lake Blackshear had lights on his docks and it was common to see bass up to 10 lbs just under the surface feeding and resting. He did not worry about other fishermen getting his fish because he had installed a "lure catcher" - a roll of old used field fence nailed under his dock. When a city slicker in a $20K bass boat pitched his $10 gonna catch em all bass lure under there it was not coming out. In January they typically lowered the level of the water to work on the hydro power equipment at the dam and Jack would go out and pick all the lures free from his trap. He'd get hundreds of dollars worth of lures each season.

I remember fishing there with Jack and his wife Patty and got my beetle spin hooked in Jack's jaw and telling him to be very careful getting it free as it was my best lure. I can't repeat here his opinion of my favorite lure but suffice it to say he did not share my opinion of it. It did not help that for the next couple of hours every time Patty would look back she would laugh when she'd see the pink spot in his white beard.
Howard Green

KEC

Back to the problem of mowing machines chopping up critters, yes it's a real shame. Many birds and critters get killed that way every year. And, yes, a rainy spell often delays mowing so that the young can grow up and evade the mower. You can't hate the farmer who wants early cut hay that is tender and nutritious. The mower is truly a double-edged sword in that mowing maintains grassland habitat instead of reverting back to shrubs and trees. But it also is rough on creatures whose babies are in the path of the mower. Landowners who want to mow a field just to keep succession from turning it back to shrubs and trees can hold off mowing until late summer when the fawns, rabbits, birds, etc. are grown.

WV Sawmiller

KEC,

I certainly don't blame my farmer neighbors. They do everything they can to prevent it - like the one with the "tickler" on the ATV. They love and respect the wildlife too. They will often start cutting in/from the center and make their cuts to the outside to push the critters out of the fields rather than trapping them in a smaller and smaller patch in the middle. Besides, the critters damage their equipment and cost them time and money on repairs. 
Howard Green

HemlockKing

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 12, 2021, 12:31:12 PM
KEC,

I certainly don't blame my farmer neighbors. They do everything they can to prevent it - like the one with the "tickler" on the ATV. They love and respect the wildlife too. They will often start cutting in/from the center and make their cuts to the outside to push the critters out of the fields rather than trapping them in a smaller and smaller patch in the middle. Besides, the critters damage their equipment and cost them time and money on repairs.
Can't help but wonder maybe a sheep dog or something could be trained to "scan" the area and bark/chase deer out. 
A1

KEC

WV, I didn't think in any way that you begrudge farmers. Some people might though. I grew up on a dairy farm and we felt bad for the critters.

WV Sawmiller

Hemlock,

That sounds like a great idea but a newborn or very young fawn has very little scent and they will not move from where they are parked until you literally step on one of them. A barking dog in the area would have no effect on a parked fawn. That is part of nature's defense for it. I don't think a sheep dog would ever smell one - if he did a coyote or fox or bobcat would have already smelled and eaten them. Remember these are large fields and many are not near homes where housedogs or such would smell them. I had a fawn that raised just on the other side of my yard fence 2 years ago and within 35 yards of my house. My Rat Terrier, Sampson, was in the back yard the whole time.

KEC,

I never thought you felt I was being critical. If others want to criticize the farmers they should come up with a system to protect the animals. The farmers would thank them for it if it was anywhere near reasonable and cost effective. I want the farmers to keep doing what they do for us. I have several habits I can't break - like eating and drinking milk and I like my ice cream from time to time. The deer park their fawns in the hayfields because they think it is safer than leaving them in the woodline adjacent to it and most of the time they probably are. I don't know what % of the fawns get hurt or killed in this process but it is likely fairly small overall . 
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!