iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peg removal for a beginner

Started by Jayjay, May 12, 2021, 06:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayjay

Hi guys
Completely new to timber frame. Carpenter for 30 years so I know a little. 
Any other ideas on removing pegs from 150 year old house. Tried everything. Bent my 4' bar trying. 
Any ideas begfore I give up and drill it out. ?
Thanks

Jim_Rogers

Many years ago, I was taught how to pull a peg. 
I've just searched my online photos gallery for some pictures of how to do this and can't find them already uploaded. I know I have them just not here in this laptop computer.

First of all if it not a through peg hole then you'll need to bore a small hole into the center of the peg. Insert a threaded bolt or timberlok screw into the hole in the peg. Leave the head away from the peg enough so you can put a crow bar/pinch bar fork under the head. Block up the bar so that you can get some good leverage on pulling it out. 
Now, one of the most common things that happens when you try this is that the peg will split. Especially if it is sticking out of the timber some. So to prevent the peg from splitting and allowing the screw/bolt from pulling out you put a standard hose clamp around the peg so that it can't split out.
As you pull it out some, increase the size of the blocks so that you maintain leverage and pull the peg straight out. Try not to bend it as it could be brittle and break off.

If the peg is in a through hole, get a "peg pusher" and push the peg out from the other side. A wooden dowel works for a peg pusher. Or a metal pin. The peg pusher has to be a little bit smaller then the peg so that it can contact the tip of the peg and push it out. If the peg pusher is too small it may go beside the peg and get jammed in.
For a 1" peg you could use a 7/8" dowel/peg pusher. For a 3/4" peg I use a 5/8" peg pusher.

Good luck and again try and pull them out straight.

Jim Rogers 
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Tom King

For times with a pusher doesn't have access, I use eyebolts, of all sizes, and a slide hammer for dent pulling on autobody work.  Works from 1/2" pegs to 2", so far.

Picture on the Woodwork page of my website, with me sitting on the floor pulling a peg out of some 1828 wainscotting that needed some parts to be replaced.

kantuckid

We watch TV episodes of the DIY show Barnwood Builders. 
 I've seen them use the palm held style of air nailer to pop out through drilled wood pegs. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!