iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3120xp milling on Logosol F2

Started by Jagiddens65, February 08, 2022, 01:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jagiddens65

:P 8)

Hi everyone! Newbie here, very excited to have access to the resources here and, hopefully, I can return the service in the future.

I just bought a Logosol F2 setup for milling a good bit of downed trees on my Adirondack acreage (anything from 12-24", mostly pine, some cedar). I wanted a future proof saw that could handle a larger bar or tougher wood species so I opted for the Husqvarna 3120xp. A bit overkill but I'd rather have it and not need it than the other way around.

The seller offered to throw on a 3/8 by 8 sprocket because I heard the chain selection for 3/8 is much broader than that of the 404 that comes stock (if I'm wrong I can go back). I plan on running a shorter bar so I can utilize the logosol bar nose steering (max bar length of 28") and I'd like to grab a handful of ripping chains. I won't be using this for anything but milling... I have a 460 that I'll use for cutting logs to length, etc.

My question: does anyone have any advice on bar/chain combos? There's SO MUCH information about bars and chains and most of the stuff I come across isn't for my setup (mostly because noobies don't usually buy giant saws... 🙃).

I looked through quite a few posts here before posting but I apologize if this has already been addressed.

Thanks for your time, everyone!

Jagiddens65

I spoke to the seller I purchased the saw from (Dave on ebay, thechainsawguy) and he recommended that I go for a 28" bar, .063 gauge with a ripping chain 🚀

forcemac

I have been running a 3120xp on an alaskan mill this past summer..hobby use.  I used a 36" GB bar (3/8, .063) with Granberg rip chain for most of the logs i have done.  Been cutting red oak, silver maple, elm, ash and cottonwood...all 20" plus diameters...5'to 9'.   

I did strap a 72" bar (.404, .063) on it for a 40" ash i did...again no problems..not my own doing.  The sproket change is fairly easy to go back and forth (using an oregon 3/8 clutch and sprocket kit).  My main difficulty with the 72" double ended bar is tensioning the chain correctly.  Both times i have mounted, the clutch wants to turn the chain when i pull the starter...and finding the spot between too loose and tight is very small.

Overall...Ive been real happy with it... there are saws out there that rev faster and are lighter, have adjustable high jets, etc...but 3120xp been reliable and tough thus far. 

As far as bar size, go with something that matches that Logosol F2 capacity seems like a good start. (Dunno...28" seems reasonable).   From what i have learned (still a noob myself) there are more 3/8 options than .404....and somewhere around 36-42" and above that .404 is better suited due to stresses on chain at those sizes.  Best Bar is Canon...but hard to find in current environment.  

A lot of good people here with tons more experience than me, they will have more insightful inputs.  

JohnW

You've got some terrific equipment there.  I have a 395 on an alaskan mill.  3/8 pitch seems like the best choice.  The heaver gauge is a good idea.  I say the bar length doesn't matter as long as it's long enough to cut your logs.

So you're doing everything right already.  You must be a pro by now.

Jagiddens65

Quote from: forcemac on February 08, 2022, 08:36:33 PM
I have been running a 3120xp on an alaskan mill this past summer..hobby use.  I used a 36" GB bar (3/8, .063) with Granberg rip chain for most of the logs i have done.  Been cutting red oak, silver maple, elm, ash and cottonwood...all 20" plus diameters...5'to 9'.  

I did strap a 72" bar (.404, .063) on it for a 40" ash i did...again no problems..not my own doing.  The sproket change is fairly easy to go back and forth (using an oregon 3/8 clutch and sprocket kit).  My main difficulty with the 72" double ended bar is tensioning the chain correctly.  Both times i have mounted, the clutch wants to turn the chain when i pull the starter...and finding the spot between too loose and tight is very small.

Overall...Ive been real happy with it... there are saws out there that rev faster and are lighter, have adjustable high jets, etc...but 3120xp been reliable and tough thus far.

As far as bar size, go with something that matches that Logosol F2 capacity seems like a good start. (Dunno...28" seems reasonable).   From what i have learned (still a noob myself) there are more 3/8 options than .404....and somewhere around 36-42" and above that .404 is better suited due to stresses on chain at those sizes.  Best Bar is Canon...but hard to find in current environment.  

A lot of good people here with tons more experience than me, they will have more insightful inputs.  
It sounds like you and I are in the right place as noobs! 🤣👍
We're probably in the same situation, aside from the fact that you're blessed with hardwoods and I'll be working on pine species and cedar (my property was a maple farm but it was logged a couple of decades ago).
Finding a bar/chain combo to max out the logosol was challenging for me but I settled on a cannon 28" superbar and a handful of granberg ripping chains. I'm SO EXCITED to take care of my downed trees, even if they are mostly pine! Luckily, the guy we buy our land from left the trees downed like pick up sticks so 90% of them are off the ground 🚀

Jagiddens65

Quote from: JohnW on February 08, 2022, 10:10:25 PM
You've got some terrific equipment there.  I have a 395 on an alaskan mill.  3/8 pitch seems like the best choice.  The heaver gauge is a good idea.  I say the bar length doesn't matter as long as it's long enough to cut your logs.

So you're doing everything right already.  You must be a pro by now.
DEFINITELY not a pro yet but we have tons of experience in the forum to learn from so give me a few years! 🤣 I got myself a 28" bar and I think you're spot on with the 3/8 pitch chain selection, based on what I've learned so far.
My main interests are our land, learning to timber frame and woodworking so I decided to set myself up with some gear that'll last me a very long time... luckily, I also collect comics so I sold a couple of really old, nice books to pay for the equipment. VERY grateful for the opportunity to learn on this stuff! I'm definitely not taking this opportunity for granted!

Skeans1

3/8 or 404 are available in any bar length you want they're just a phone call away what will change between the two is the kerf will be wider with 404. Having a 3120 and a 395 I'd rather run my 395 up to probably a 50" bar over the 3120 for falling, milling I'd say around a 42 just because the 395 can spin up that much faster. One thing I'd do when getting bars is get a 14mm adapter so if you get an itch to go bigger it's easily done to run the large mount bars.

The one on the right will out run the 3120 but they're two completely different saws though.

Real1shepherd

The 3120 is a real beast when unleashed;having someone do the trick on the carb by installing the high speed jet and installing an unlimited coil.

I think there were a fair number of people racing the 3120 modified, but new and trying to claim warranty when they failed....or Husky just trying to keep claims down for a big cc saw. However it went down...pretty much everyone agrees the crank can take a lot more than the module governed 9850rpm.  

I run just a tad over 11,000rpm on my 2100's and absolutely no issues ever in the woods. The 3120 and the 394 replaced the 2100....it's fair to assume they weren't lesser saws in the build specs.

Kevin

Jagiddens65

Quote from: Skeans1 on February 09, 2022, 08:00:32 AM
3/8 or 404 are available in any bar length you want they're just a phone call away what will change between the two is the kerf will be wider with 404. Having a 3120 and a 395 I'd rather run my 395 up to probably a 50" bar over the 3120 for falling, milling I'd say around a 42 just because the 395 can spin up that much faster. One thing I'd do when getting bars is get a 14mm adapter so if you get an itch to go bigger it's easily done to run the large mount bars.

The one on the right will out run the 3120 but they're two completely different saws though.
Those are some monsters you have on your bench! And thank you for the insight 🚀🚀

Jagiddens65

Quote from: Real1shepherd on February 09, 2022, 10:36:32 AM
The 3120 is a real beast when unleashed;having someone do the trick on the carb by installing the high speed jet and installing an unlimited coil.

I think there were a fair number of people racing the 3120 modified, but new and trying to claim warranty when they failed....or Husky just trying to keep claims down for a big cc saw. However it went down...pretty much everyone agrees the crank can take a lot more than the module governed 9850rpm.  

I run just a tad over 11,000rpm on my 2100's and absolutely no issues ever in the woods. The 3120 and the 394 replaced the 2100....it's fair to assume they weren't lesser saws in the build specs.

Kevin
I think the one thing I have going for me is that I'll never be tackling giant, wide slabs so I imagine the 3120 will gobble up everything I will be putting it through without mods 👍 the largest I'll be milling probably won't even max out the 28" bar I have!

Thank You Sponsors!