iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are Stihl saws always hard to start?

Started by welderskelter, June 09, 2021, 03:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

Mine takes 5 pulls to fire on choke, and 5 pulls on high speed then it seems to always start. Its an 066 but my 038s seem to match. Just wondering if anybody has found an easier way. I do know from watching my neighbor that he usually gets his going faster but he is younger and stouter. I was trying to figure out how to put a primer bulb on it. Ha.

Tacotodd

Try choke on and fully pull the starter out SLOWLY about 5 times. Then regular pull to start. Sounds like they need some carb tuning.
Trying harder everyday.

Twowithone

Hilltop366

My 361 is the same way since new, I thought it was because I use it infrequently but after a year and a half of sitting I pulled my 25 year old Dolmar 115 out of the shed and it started on the forth pull so I guess not.

Spike60

Oh yes, always. That is definitely a problem with most if not all Stihl products. Many Stihl owners spend a lot of time going to PT sessions from trying to start their saws.  Husky's on the other hand never have an issue starting. Not even the auto-tune models in the 92° temps we've had this week. I can't recall a customer ever complaining about a starting issue in the 30 years I've been in business.  Huskys always start on the first pull, and just wait until the new "voice command" start models arrive next year.  :D

Been a rough week, hope you boys are laughing.  8)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

lxskllr

Spike...  :^D

My Stihls all start easily, but not as good as my echoes. I have a sick 026, a 362cm, and a 661cm. I formerly had a 362 non cm. My echoes are cs400, and cs2511t. My PoulanPro isn't even too bad, but it stalls more frequently when cutting conditions suddenly change. Might just need a bit of tuning.

sprucebunny

I have no complaints about my small Stihls. Don't own anything else.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

btulloh

Mine aren't hard to start as long as I don't leave fuel too long and I follow the recommended procedure. I did have a problem with my old 026 for a while, but I found if the trigger was held wot during the choking phase it would prime a lot faster. I think the choke mechanism was designed to do that, but over time it got out of adjustment and failed to hold the throttle. Probably could have fixed that, but I just keep a little velcro strap there to hold the trigger. The 066 might need the same little helper. 
HM126

Gary Davis

try a new spark plug I have several stihs and they all start easy  the 038 was having trouble but the plug had not been changed for 20 years 

welderskelter

I am not saying my stihls are not dependable. If they had been I wouldnt have them. Its just that I would like to start easier because an 066 about makes me wonder how much longer I can run that thing. I would hate to have to go to a smaller saw because they just cant keep up. I enjoy cutting with that saw. I will just have to eat more wheaties before I go to the woods.

btulloh

Quote from: Gary Davis on June 09, 2021, 08:30:37 PM
try a new spark plug I have several stihs and they all start easy  the 038 was having trouble but the plug had not been changed for 20 years
Have you had the plugs out lately?  At least take a look. I tend to run my plugs too long and I'm always amazed when I finally put a new one in a saw. 
HM126

thecfarm

Quote from: Tacotodd on June 09, 2021, 04:16:02 PM
Try choke on and fully pull the starter out SLOWLY about 5 times. Then regular pull to start. Sounds like they need some carb tuning.
Listen to him!!!
I have a 372 husky. Have to pull 4-5-6 times on that thing. Than I did what Tacotodd posted. That saw will almost start on the 2nd pull now. I think I slowly pull my 3 times. But whatever works.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

aigheadish

My first real exposure to a chainsaw was a small 16" (MS260? I don't remember) Stihl, borrowed from my FIL. It made me completely crazy with the amount of pulling I had to do to get it running. I eventually replaced the spark plug and carb on it and that made it a little better but after seeing my neighbor fire up his Husqvarna 455, very easily, I went that route when I bought my own. I don't use it too frequently but it always starts easily. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Fishnuts2

I always thought my Stihl blower, trimmers, and saws started pretty good until I started using and collecting other brands.  There is a difference for sure.

PoginyHill

I'll have to try Tacotodd's method. Mine start reliably, but it can take 5+ pulls. My newer 261CM starts easier - maybe 3-4pulls most of the time. Ones with traditional carbs, I was told to pull with full choke until you here ANY firing - even a blip. Then partial choke. Otherwise you'll flood it. That seems to work for me.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

JJinAK

It will be tough to out-do @Spike60 for the answer of the day!  I guess I should have switched a long time ago.  I have a 362, and a 461, and I really don't have issues with either.  I tried some voice command on them earlier, but no avail.  Waiting for the upgrade.

JaJ
MS461
MS362

Hilltop366

Quote from: JJinAK on June 10, 2021, 06:10:34 PMI tried some voice command on them earlier, but no avail.  Waiting for the upgrade.

Had a car salesperson tell me about a customer trading in his car and wanted to know if the new one had voice activated cruse control like his old one, the sales man said "I've never heard of that" the old guy says " sure it does every time I go over 100 kph I hear a woman's voice saying SLOW THE %$# DOWN! 

barbender

My Stihl doesn't start any harder than my Husky or Jred saws. In fact, my Jred 2171 is a bit of a son of a gun to start if it has sat for a while. It takes a lot of pulls to get gas through it.
Too many irons in the fire

421Altered

What PoginyHill said above, but, critical that you hear it "pop".  When you hear it pop, put choke control lever one notch up from full choke, and pull till it starts.  After it starts, let it idle for 3-5 minutes before using.
  Another way i sometimes use is to pour a very small amount of mix onto the air cleaner, then crank it, seems to me to be about 1 or 2 less pulls this way.
  These methods are for a cold saw.  A warm saw, don't choke it at all, just pull the rope and if it's in tune, it should crank first or second pull.
  I volunteer with a church chainsaw team.  They don't use a chainsaw till we go to a disaster.  They almost always flood the saw.  They can't hear the pop, and just keep pulling with it on full choke.  So, now I tell them, on a cold saw, put it on full choke, pull sharply three times, move lever up one notch, pull till it cranks, don't touch the saw, let it idle 3-5 minutes while putting on the ppe, then saw is ready to take the throttle and work.
  I only use Stihls, 024,032, 038M, 064, 084. Church group uses ms250, ms361, ms261cm, these methods work on all of them.

421Altered

I should have said the ms261cm is the sole exception to this starting method.  For a cold start move lever all the way down and crank it.  Let it idle 3-5 minutes and it's ready to work.  For a warm start, don't do anything but pull the rope!

21incher

My Stihl ms 290 saw, fs 85r wacker , and backpack blower were all hard starting.  That's  why I switched  to all Echo products and would never go back to Stihl after experiencing the difference. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

welderskelter

I never let mine idle unless I set it down to throw a limb out of the way. I like to let it warm up about 10 seconds then it wants to start sawing.

Ianab

There does seem to be an "Art" to starting them. 

From cold it's setting full choke, then pull them over a few times until it "pops". You aren't trying to start them at that point, so you don't have to be very energetic, and a slower pull will do the job. I figure this "primes" the carb, and it now has fuel in it. Then flick the lever to the actual "starting" position, and it should start  with 2 or 3 more pulls. Some other saws do start easier, but at least my Stihl is consistent. 

Warm should be no problem, don't use the full choke, push the lever to full choke, but bring it back to the start position before you pull. Might take one pull, or 3, but it should fire up fine. 

Where I sometimes mess up is if the saw has sat for 10 minutes or so. Now is it "warm", or has it cooled off  ???  If you guess wrong then, you can flood it.  So I usually try the warm start. If that doesn't work, then ONE pull of full choke, and back to the warm start usually gets it going. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

firefighter ontheside

I have never had any problem starting any Stihl that I have had or the FD has had.  They have all started exactly the same if you follow the start up procedure in the manual.  The only thing I ever had trouble with was my Stihl string trimmer.  I got rid of it because it would not start.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

ladylake

Out on saw jobs I see a lot of Stihls hard to start even after being run earlier, some start good.  Steve 
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!