iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shrink charge

Started by clay3, June 21, 2021, 01:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alligator

Quote from: clay3 on June 21, 2021, 01:24:21 PM
Today I went to a lumber supplier to purchase a bundle of 4/4 x 8'' cypress, after getting the runaround on the price. I asked about some 8/4 pine they have it was all 2''x6'' rough and 2''x8'' rough, I asked if it was sold as that or random width, it was random and would have a 7% shrink charge. Then he told me that the 1''x8'' would also have a shrink charge. How do you put a shrink charge on dimensional lumber. If its cut at 1''x8'' and sold at 1''x8'' where's the shrink.    
Ask them about an over cut discount. When logs are bought by scale or weight there is always about a 20% or more over cut, if they are sawed right.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

hacknchop

Quote from: Rhodemont on June 23, 2021, 01:52:15 PM
This is confusing.   Years ago, before having my own mill I would go to a local sawmill and buy rough saw ewp at something like .40 bf. 1 x 12 x 1ft was 1bf, did not think of it being a little thin or narrow due to shrink.  That's what I do with 1x6 rough fence boards now.  1x6x1ft is .5 bf whether is is right off the mill or air dried for a while with some shrink.  No one has ever questioned it.  But then again I am dealing mostly with people who do not know what a bf is.
bf is that like bff  ???  :)
Often wrong never indoubt

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

barbender

I'd tell them to just add it to the price, before they give me the price. If they tell me $X per BF, and then after it is tallied up add on 7%, I lose patience quickly. Figure your costs and what you need to get for your product before hand. What else are they going to tack on?  Fuel surcharge and employee health insurance surcharge? No thanks.
Too many irons in the fire

Hilltop366

Shrink charge

I thought you were complaining about your psychiatrist bill so I was going to ask you "how does that made you feel".

Back to regular programming.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Quote from: barbender on July 04, 2021, 04:51:50 PM
I'd tell them to just add it to the price, before they give me the price. If they tell me $X per BF, and then after it is tallied up add on 7%, I lose patience quickly. Figure your costs and what you need to get for your product before hand. What else are they going to tack on?  Fuel surcharge and employee health insurance surcharge? No thanks.
Bingo, figure out your costs and set a price. This practice makes the seller look like a hoodlum. As a buyer I don't need to know how you cover your end I just need a price on a net quantity. 
From the other end, the weights and measures lady rejected a scale at the market that was off by the weight of about one blueberry.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Hilltop366 on July 04, 2021, 09:05:29 PM
Shrink charge

I thought you were complaining about your psychiatrist bill so I was going to ask you "how does that made you feel".

Back to regular programming.
Maybe just try submitting the bill to insurance. Worth a try.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Satamax

Guys, may i say? 

Go metric! 

Wood is sold by the cubic meter. If the guy is accounting for the kerf, for example, or shrinkage.  You can complain to the DGCCRF (a bureau for checking for commercial fraud)  And fill a case with the justice. Usually, it doesn't happen. Guys aren't playing much. 

;D ;D ;D

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Thank You Sponsors!