iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OH Boy, My Mill Is Ready!

Started by Jay B, June 10, 2021, 09:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay B

I called for an update yesterday evening and everything was ready! Now I am waiting to hear from the shipping company..already checked email a few times this morning! :D

I made my order on 12\01 and I will tell anybody ordering now..that waiting deal is not easy but helps to teach patience( I guess). 

I took advise from here and ordered some 4° blades but they have not shown up yet. The 747 blades I ordered have arrived so I am hoping they will work ok for me since I am getting the 25hp. With so much to learn I wasn't sure when I ordered those about differences in blades and what to expect from them so I ordered the 747 in both 1.25 and 1.5 x .45 and I think I ordered some 9° with the mill. 

I am going to try to learn how to post pictures on here in the meantime.I see the tab on here but have to figure out how to get them to the computer. That will be a job for my wife who is computer savvy.
 Now come on Holland Freight!! 8)

Jay B

trimguy

Jay B

Test run here for posting pictures. If this works it is a picture of one of my log piles and a little of the field cultivator I use around the farm..I also use it for  a counter weight when handling logs so far. I need to find a better option for a counter weight probably. 

Jay B

maple flats

An older weight box is what I use, the ones from 30+ yrs ago hold lots more weight than the newer ones. Mine holds over 1800#, and empty it weighs almost 300#. It is heavy duty, the ones available today are much lighter built and have less cubic feet capacity.
I bought mine from a farmer who was loading it to go to auction about 8-9 yrs ago for $50. The box is made of 3/16 steel, the frame is 1/4" and the mounts are 3/8 steel, 2 plates so it uses heavy pins thru 2. I have no idea who made it.
I don't, but if you use a quick hitch to lift the weight box, that sets the weight a few inches farther behind the rear tires which makes the weight box even more effective.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Jay B

Finally, today was the day...my mill came in at 18:45 this evening! For reference I ordered my mill on 12\01. Hope to get the wife to help me load some pictures up in a little while.

We also moved what has been our carport for almost 20 years...it will be the sawmill shed for now. I think she has some pictures of that too. 

Tomorrow will be assembly day I guess. Not feeling like I will get very much sleep tonight ;D. 

Jay B

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jay B

This is the delivery truck backing down the drive. Wife said when she took this picture one of my kids told her she just became my "side chick".

Unloading...

There were two pallets, the one was the mill and one was basically the resaw attachment and a little hardware.

Good day around here, hopefully tomorrow goes OK. Will we make sawdust tomorrow??

Jay B

sawguy21

Patience grasshopper :D You will plenty on your plate just assembling and setting it up. What did you get?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jay B

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 24, 2021, 12:21:45 AM
Patience grasshopper :D You will plenty on your plate just assembling and setting it up. What did you get?
LT15, power feed and resaw attachment. I figure all day today for assembly, about to get started now.

DixieReb31

Where in SC are you? I'm in SC. Also.
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

Jay B

Quote from: DixieReb31 on June 24, 2021, 03:30:45 PM
Where in SC are you? I'm in SC. Also.
Batesburg-Leesville. Where are you? So far I have learned that one member here is pretty close over in the CSRA area of Georgia but not sure about others here in SC- Glad to hear from you @DixieReb31 !
Yesterday was a long day. We got mostly done, but still have to install the feed rope and I have to figure out if the little 2x block on the top of the blade housing is supposed to be there or not. The videos for assembly were helpful but some details were left out I think. Probably going to reference the book this morning.
If everything goes well we hope to saw some small logs today to make blocks with- some for extra bracing under the mill bed, and some for my shed. If I don't jack up the mill shed(old carport) I will lose several feet of travel. 
Will ask the wife if she has any more pictures to add later this evening.
Jay B

Jay B

Got the mill going today, just had a blast! 

Was me, my Dad and my Paw-In-Law... We cut a couple hundred feet of 2x8 pine and some blocking to stack boards on and some supports for the mill. 

Not much to say but...Happy, Happy, Happy!

I will have to get the ol lady to help with the pictures.

Jay B

thecfarm

Your tires loaded? I even have loaded tires on the wife's tractor,30 hp, no loader. All she does is mow with it, winter time snow blower is on it.
Got a Logrite cantdog or peavey?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jay B

Quote from: thecfarm on June 25, 2021, 09:37:02 PM
Your tires loaded? I even have loaded tires on the wife's tractor,30 hp, no loader. All she does is mow with it, winter time snow blower is on it.
Got a Logrite cantdog or peavey?
Tires are loaded on all my tractors. The New Holland in the pictures has two sets of weights on the rear as well...I still need ballast with heavy logs.
When I ordered the mill I also ordered a 5 ft cant hook and a 4 ft( I think). Luckily the 5ft one came in with everything else. The shorter one and a box of 4° blades is all that hasn't arrived. So far that one hook is doing ok, I think the biggest cant we had so far was around 14 inches. Game plan is to use the front end loader if its a really big heavy log...going to sit it down on some skids to turn it then place back on the mill. That will be slow but that's ok too, we don't have very many logs over 18-20 right now. I will plan on some extra time to saw the bigger ones we have. A few of the oak are around 25 in and 15ft long...we are going to learn a little more with the smaller pine before we jump into the bigger logs or the resaw.
For todays experiment I think I am going to put on one of the 747 blades and see how that goes. Really the 9° seems to be doing alright.
Jay B

DixieReb31

Batesburg?  I'm close to Amicks off 178 going towards Saluda. We're practically neighbors
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

Lostinmn

Quote from: Jay B on June 24, 2021, 08:03:22 AM
LT15, power feed and resaw attachment. I figure all day today for assembly, about to get started now.
Nothing better then unwrapping a new toy, enjoy!! 8)

Jay B

Quote from: DixieReb31 on June 26, 2021, 08:06:51 AM
Batesburg?  I'm close to Amicks off 178 going towards Saluda. We're practically neighbors
Thats crazy! I will try to PM you tomorrow. We are too close not to catch up. I am just about 2 mile from Amicks off 178. 

Jay B

Quote from: Lostinmn on June 26, 2021, 11:10:33 AM
Quote from: Jay B on June 24, 2021, 08:03:22 AM
Nothing better then unwrapping a new toy, enjoy!! 8)
Thank You! So far really having a ball with it!

drlewis

got a e mail from woodland mills that our mill is going to shipper now be here in end july not aug. now need too make room.

Thank You Sponsors!