iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Castrol Super Snowmobile oil

Started by lledwod, June 22, 2021, 11:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Stephen I wrote that completely tongue in cheek. Some of the really old 2 strokes used straight motor oil I think, just because that's all there was. Before my time- ask Al Smith😊 Worked well for fogging the immediate area for flies and mosquitoes, I told😬 I would've lost it on the daughter's boyfriend, too! 
Too many irons in the fire

Real1shepherd

Like Bob said.....I can vouch that in a pro environment you're going to suss out bad practices/fluids in short order. Anything short of that and you could get away with bad stuff/practices for yrs.....hardly an endorsement.

Kevin

Spike60

Oil Humor:

Dude comes in with a Ryobi backpack blower. We don't take that stuff in ever, but here's how the conversation goes........Like a lot of folks, he says, "Probably just needs a plug." To which my standard answer is, "I can sell you a plug, and you don't have to leave it." But he wanted me to look at it, and he explains that the reason he's sure the plug is fouled is that they put a lot more oil in the fuel to compensate for them loaning it out to a friend who didn't put any oil in it.

That's what's out there guys.  :D
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

sawguy21

:D That should cure a toasted p&c alright.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Spike60 on June 23, 2021, 04:36:32 PM
Oil Humor:

Dude comes in with a Ryobi backpack blower. We don't take that stuff in ever, but here's how the conversation goes........Like a lot of folks, he says, "Probably just needs a plug." To which my standard answer is, "I can sell you a plug, and you don't have to leave it." But he wanted me to look at it, and he explains that the reason he's sure the plug is fouled is that they put a lot more oil in the fuel to compensate for them loaning it out to a friend who didn't put any oil in it.

Oh good Lord, they are truly among us. Was it siezed? Not that it matters, his brain was/is.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Al_Smith

In a pinch I have used motor oil for mix oil  .Didn't seem to hurt anything that I know of .
Having said that back on the farm we used the same stuff dad put through his twin Evinrudes on his boat .Didn't hurt the boat motors nor the old saws just smoked a little bit .Times have changed I would not run boat motor mix for a chainsaw nor will I run that miracle 100 to 1 ratio  magic mix oil .I've heard all the stories ,heard the arguments from the never ending oil debate . I'm still old school 32 to 1 type .I won't change . ;) 

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Spike60 on June 23, 2021, 04:36:32 PM
Oil Humor:

That's one reason I'm not interested in doing small engine repair....the idiots. I tend to tell people straight up what they've done.....so I don't get sucked down their rabbit hole. I probably would have to have a big entrance sign that said something like.....

"IF YOU ARE A CLUELESS INDIVIDUAL, EXPECT PROBLEMS WITH THE OWNER!"

Kevin

barbender

Al, I run the miracle 100:1 oil, but at 32:1...I should be triple protected, right?😁 
Too many irons in the fire

Al_Smith

About like myself actually .I run on 100 octane coffee and 80 proof whiskey .The only reason I ever used the Stihl Ultra was because  the dealer tossed in two little bottles and supposedly the warrantee was extended if I used the stuff on the new weed wacker I bought .They didn't say I had to mix it 50 to 1 so it was at 32 to 1 . After 7 years I still have 4 bottles from the original 6 pack .Actually it was less expensive than Husqvarna labeled stuff .

Spike60

That sign would be a good fit for us too Kevin. But the one we've been toying with is:

"Don't antagonize the owners; they can retire at any time."
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

thecfarm

Spike60, customers never coming in asking for a part for a mower, chainsaw, trimmer, snow blower and so on, and than have no idea what the model number is. They say when it's Poulan something.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Spike60

Well @thecfarm, if you're going to invite me to vent on my favorite pet peave, feel free to send me a bill for the needed therepy.

Very few people make any effort at all to have the info necessary to get them the parts they need. The younger they are the worse it is. Old timers come in with their books and notes just like everyone used to. Most people are lazy and expect technology to solve their lack of effort. What length bar, What model, What size deck? What brand engine?, What brand tractor?. Sometimes even What color is it? are met with a blank look and "I don't know." A shredded belt with no numbers on it; can ya match it up? We only keep tract of serialized transactions for wholegoods in the computer. We have no need to know who bought every part we sell over the counter. But it's not unusual for someone to come in with zero info and say they need the same belt they bought 5 years ago, can we check our records. Nope. :)

My business partner and I have a rule that we don't make eye contact with each other while one of these exchanges is taking place cause we'll start laughing like kids in school and we don't want to offend the customer. (most times).

Retirement really isn't that far away. LOL
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Southside

Those same customers leave your store and call me.  Conversation usually goes "Hi I called you four or five months ago about some wood, want to know if you still have it available...." 

My mind begins to fight with my mouth and wants it to ask "Who put the straw in strawberry?"  about that time.....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Real1shepherd

I'd LOVE to do a book on customer stories! The stories I have would be legion. But the real 'funny' stuff was when I used to do custom rototilling with my old Horse TroyBilt. I eventually had a list memorized of questions to ask first, before I brought the machine over to a job site. Had to, or I'd be tilling rocks, roots or worse.

'Clueless' customers doesn't even begin to describe the situations I found myself in with my tiller. I put new bearings and races in the tiller shaft this spring and thought about contracting out again. Talked myself out of it........:D

Kevin

sawguy21

I worked in retail for years, don't get me started. :D One of the funniest was the guy wanting points for his Briggs and Stratton, no model numbers (of course) so I gave him the most popular ones. He came back mad the next day and angrily slammed them down on the counter along with the originals. Oh, you have a Tecumseh and I brought out the correct part. He snapped it is a Briggs and Stratton, says so right on it! The old ones had the brand in raised letters, I guess he couldn't read English. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

Fact is you have to deal with people no matter what you do .Fifty plus years as a journeyman electrician and some wizz kid of 25 years old wants to argue with me .Some so called factory trained genus tries to tell me I'm doing it all wrong on a Briggs and Stratton engine I have running like a top .I just consider the source any more rather than blow a fuse so to speak .

Thank You Sponsors!