iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Case halfs

Started by donbj, June 26, 2021, 11:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donbj

Can someone with more knowledge than me tell me if it's ok to mix case halfs when building saws? I see them for sale online as individual halfs but are they all matched machining wise. Common sense tells me each set at the factory would go through a machining process to match crank bore and jug mount surface for square and fit.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

mike_belben

Boy thats a tough call.  

The concentricity of the crank bores to the crank journals axis, and the flatness of the deck mating surface are the big ticket items in my mind and ive definitely seen mismatch parting lines on the deck before.   

Im sure the by the book crowd will say mismatch cant be done.  And im sure i could compensate for issues and make it work.  I guess you have to decide if you can afford the risk. 
Praise The Lord

weimedog

For the most part u can match them up and the saw will run. Mixed red and orange 372/2171 cases once. Saw still runs. Might not be a good idea with some model changes like pre 2010 and post 2010 oe vs. xt cases on the 372's. No idea with Stihl's or other brands. A little "misalignment" will add a little heat to the bearings. A lot will kill them over time. Fact is there will always be a little even with new saws. Manufacturing tolerances and all. Might mention bearing cages....but don't want to start a oil type discussion :) ( some handle heat better than others )
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Al_Smith

You could could probably get away with it .However most times if you get the bones of a donor saw or three one should certainly have a good case .I have seen more than one case they must have used a 3/4" socket wrench on, broken ,junk . Proving once again some people could destroy an anvil with a feather .

donbj

Thanks for the replies. Good info! My gut says they would be matched with machining
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

thedoublejranch

Quote from: donbj on June 26, 2021, 11:51:56 PM
Can someone with more knowledge than me tell me if it's ok to mix case halfs when building saws? I see them for sale online as individual halfs but are they all matched machining wise. Common sense tells me each set at the factory would go through a machining process to match crank bore and jug mount surface for square and fit.
No, as you stated, they are put together, torqued, then line bored. But they are all so precise ie castings, machine work, I have seen it done with no issues many times.
I would say avoid doing it that way, but it you have exhausted all options or the parts are made from unobtanium, then give it a go.
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

Tacotodd

Like the man said; if all avenues are exhausted, do whatcha gotta do!
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!