iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to me TD-8E, Logging & Homesteading

Started by Koot Kraftsman, July 04, 2021, 01:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koot Kraftsman

Quote from: Southside on July 06, 2021, 02:10:48 PM
Quote from: Koot Kraftsman on July 06, 2021, 12:45:16 PM(yeah, I know, a gal with a guys name

Hey - so he identifies as a she, or she identifies as a he, or it identifies as a spider, as long as it pushes dirt...:D
Now that there is funny, I don't care who you are haha.

Don P

:D My wife mentioned today that we haven't named ours.
Uhh, yeah, now you know why we didn't put HyTran in it this time. Ours was pretty low when we got it so this will probably be a pretty quick dump and refill. That strainer is accessed from the floorboard side not the belly pan but I think we decided this one is an '82 so not sure if you have one. I was not emptying fluid when I opened the strainer. I'm guessing its burning about 2.5-3 gals/hr of diesel.

Took this pic at lunch... and the blade did drop with the engine off, when it stayed up it must have been in a bind somehow. Need to weld up some brush guards before I take the stack off  ::)

Oh, I was thinking, dangerous problem... George Vanderbilt's wife was Edith Dresser. Her bro did start several businesses, is there a connection? More random bs, after George died she remarried a congressman Gerry who carved up the congressional district to help secure his re-election. They said the district he created looked like a salamander, thus "gerrymander", to artificially carve up districts to influence vote tallys.

Koot Kraftsman

Ok, I tried uploading pics... got frustrated after second attempt.  Why are some forums such a PITA to post pics to and some sooooo easy.  What's the secret to adding photos on here?

Gotta get back to work on the Harvey, I'll try pics again tonight.

Plankton

Sounds like a great trade! Only international dozer I've run was a td15 great machines imo. Old but gold.

I run napa tractor hydrualic fluid yellow bucket with green top in my old ih tractors that all spec hy Tran for the hydrualic system/transmission. Quite a bit cheaper the case ih fluid and does the same thing. Meets the specs of hytran and I know a bunch of other farmers that run it in there old ih tractors too.

Tacotodd

Quote from: Plankton on July 06, 2021, 05:26:03 PM
Sounds like a great trade! Only international dozer I've run was a td15 great machines imo. Old but gold.

I run napa tractor hydrualic fluid yellow bucket with green top in my old ih tractors that all spec hy Tran for the hydrualic system/transmission. Quite a bit cheaper the case ih fluid and does the same thing. Meets the specs of hytran and I know a bunch of other farmers that run it in there old ih tractors too.

That's the same stuff that I sold pallets of to the farmers around me. They never complained about it! Universal tractor fluid is what it's called. If in doubt if it'll fit your particular apps, you just have to know what the spec is for what you need, in one particular form is JD303, it's a BEAUTIFUL replacement! NEVER had an issue or any complaints!
Trying harder everyday.

Koot Kraftsman

Got to the bottom of the trans strainer, I did not get luck enough to have the transmission with the strainer on top, it is one of the transmissions where the strainer is at the bottom :'(.  Will change out the trans fluid and clean the strainer tomorrow as it is storming its butt off right now. 

To get back to the winch, if you know of other winches that fit a TD-8E besides a gearmatic-19, please let me know.  I've only located 2 GM-19s one was only a 3 hour drive and is asking $3,500 for it, says he took it off a TD-8E and that he was told it worked but never saw it.  The other one is the one on Machinery trader that treemuncher linked to (thanks) but they want $7,000 for it and I didn't catch the location, probably in Canada. Anyone got one in good working order they wanna sell??

Another attempt at posting pics... I was told they have made it to my gallery under my profile but they don't seem to want to load to the thread... here goes another attempt...

Koot Kraftsman

HAHA, I give up on loading photos to the actual post but it looks like they are in my gallery.  Apparently it doesn't like the file format.  I even made it smaller AND exported them all individually as a PDF and it still didn't like it.  Ya win some, ya lose some.

mike_belben

@don.

Gerrymandering was after elbridge gerry.. Boston politician and vp if i remember right.  

Not sure on dresser history.  Harvesters became dressers in america then dressta's when poland bought in i think. Nice thing is they took a good machine and actually left it alone.. Just made a new one. 
Praise The Lord

Don P

Looks like my mind wandered down the wrong rabbit hole, I think they were different families. Yup that sounds right on Gerry from my memory Mike.

Koot, save the pics as jpegs next time and it will show up in the post, a pdf just makes it a downloadable file. I did see the round plate for the winch. I looked at our rear today and the plate for the ripper covers that entire back area. It looks like the main difference is our Dresser has a sexier blue racing stripe, the rest looks pretty much identical. It does have a screen behind the seat which has proven to be a good thing backing up in brush. One difference under the floor was ours has I think the short driveshaft and we decided it was built during a transition year from what we were seeing. My mind goes to mud now weeks later... I should write stuff down more.

mike_belben

I think we can all agree the race stripe is worth 3-5 horsetorques minimum. 
Praise The Lord

Koot Kraftsman

Koot Kraftsman

nativewolf

one thing @treemuncher has mentioned is the value of a separate hydraulic fluid cleaning machine, if you look in his post maybe? you can see a pic of the one he uses.  Maybe he has more to add, but I don't see why you couldn't reuse the old fluid just run it through a few filters and it should be good to go.  
Liking Walnut

Koot Kraftsman

She's not much to look at that's for sure BUT, she runs good and pushes hard... lots of power and everything works, can't ask for much more than that.  Kinda like big women, they give ya the goods best they possibly can because they don't get as many opportunities and they want to make sure you come back for more  :)

You still gotta feed 'em though... in this case, with oil 😉

Koot Kraftsman

Quote from: nativewolf on July 06, 2021, 10:24:10 PM
one thing @treemuncher has mentioned is the value of a separate hydraulic fluid cleaning machine, if you look in his post maybe? you can see a pic of the one he uses.  Maybe he has more to add, but I don't see why you couldn't reuse the old fluid just run it through a few filters and it should be good to go.  
hyd / trans fluid cleaning machine... hmmm.  Yeah treemuncher, I'd like to see one of them, how much do they cost?  Silly question, when you plan on filtering and re-using the trans fluid, what do you all use to drain into?  Will a 5 gal bucket even fit under there?

Tacotodd

"Sometimes" it chemically changes a wee bit, but over time it gets to be more and more. That's why a ~ regular maintenance schedule is called for.

Kinda sorta similar to engine oil changes: 3mo or 3k miles, whichever is first. Eng. oil can become acidic. Hydro chemically contaminated and chem changed to "hurt" some. Power steering fluid eventually wears out, same analogy, but no-one says anything except keep it filled up properly. Differentials and T-case, same thing. Automotive has jaded me, but informed.

Back off of my soapbox...
Trying harder everyday.

Don P

Cool, much easier to see than downloading files  8)
I had to chip and shovel out the belly pans, found the missing air filter bracket bolt deep in the yuck  :D. Those things are heavy. We drove it up on a pair of 8x8's to work underneath, balanced the pans on a floor jack to get in and out. You have an access plate on the big pan we don't, I'm guessing that is the strainer access? We are considerably different under the floorboard.

treemuncher

Quote from: Koot Kraftsman on July 06, 2021, 10:38:35 PM
Quote from: nativewolf on July 06, 2021, 10:24:10 PM
hyd / trans fluid cleaning machine... hmmm.  Yeah treemuncher, I'd like to see one of them, how much do they cost?  Silly question, when you plan on filtering and re-using the trans fluid, what do you all use to drain into?  Will a 5 gal bucket even fit under there?
I have a Parker Filtration Cart that I purchased used from Ebay. The cart has 1 suction hose and 1 discharge hose. Generally, I have a fitting on the bottom of a hydraulic tank or use an extension stick to get to the bottom of the tank. Personally, I use 1" JIC fittings for the inlet/outlet fittings and then I have a selection of adapters to the 1" JIC for other hose and fitting sizes. Once hooked up to the tank, I flip the switch on the filtration cart pump and put everything into CLEAN 55 gallon drum(s). Once all of the oil is in the drum(s), I can then loop through the drum over and over while I am working on a machine. Usually 30-60 minutes is sufficient to polish up any oil during maintenance. There are moisture removing filters (microglass) and extreme fine filters (2 micron paper). If you don't burn your oil, it will be good for many, many years if you can get the contamination out of it.

The cart uses 2 filters: 1 @ 40 micron rough in and 1 @ 2-10 micron for final polishing. I try to use this machine for only 1 type of oil otherwise I have to flush and clean which loses mixed oil. Typically, I run hydraulic 68 in all of my machines these days.

If I remember correctly KK, you are a retired engineer? You can also install kidney loop filtration systems that will slowly and constantly keep your oil cleansed or you could easily build your own cart from components. I run some of those kidney type filters on my engines and on my hydraulic systems of a few machines. This is a cake walk if you take your time to get educated about the systems and figure out where to install them without damaging or affecting the rest of your hydraulic systems. Do some research on oil filtration and build up the education - it is pretty interesting. Systems can last much longer with proper oil polishing.
TreeMuncher.com  Where only the chosen remain standing

Corley5

A local hydraulic supply house, Federal Fluid Power, rents filter carts.  I rented it once to filter water contaminated hydraulic oil.  Worked great.  It was a daily rental and the cost of the filter cartridges.  I forget how much it was but cheaper than replacing 70 gallons of oil :) :)  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mike_belben

If i were building one i would use a procon pump.. They will lift oil a story or two very fast.. Might take a few drops of oil in the gears to get it started but theyre exceptional and have built in relief.

after getting hot id park the machine in the shop for a day or two then use a piece of rigid plastic or whatever tubing as a vacuum wand to suck oil out of the top and drain whatever bit of oil you cant get out the bottom.  Maybe even a fresh diesel rinse too.  

The bottom is where your sediment, shmeg, water and so forth will be.  Have a plastic rockcatcher inline to protect the procon gears. The sprayer aisle at your farm store will have rock catchers.  If youre not gonna send samples out to blackstone to check the PH and detergents and antioxidants then id filter and add some new make up oil .. Like 10% or so.  

Bypass filtration can really stretch oil life.
Praise The Lord

Koot Kraftsman

Drained the Hyd fluid and pulled the strainer from the bottom... the O-ring itself might still be useable but the rest of that seal was toast, the strainer itself was kinda hammered too, bad enough for me to put a new one in since I'm right here and not in too big a rush.  While down there I also noticed the 4" hose next to the strainer cover, connecting to the line that goes to the torque converter was bubbling and felt like soft jello so best to replace that now than lose all my fluid and burn up the trans in the middle of a push... not taking that chance for a $10 part so I'll obviously change that turd out too. I think the gasket/O-ring from the strainer cover was contributing to the leaking I have down there but I think the main culprit is the big main seal between the trans and the rear end.  Not sure which is leaking out though, trans HyTrans or gear oil... will get to the bottom of this soon but only to know which fluid to monitor harder since I'm sure not going to be changing that seal anytime soon 😔.

tacks Y

Not sure of seal between trans and rear end? Rear end and torque converter? If so should both run hy-tran.

Koot Kraftsman

Ok, I need some help here... I began my search this morning for these 3 parts and while some aftermarket places seem to be able to get the o-ring/seal, the strainer nor the short 4" hose comes up in anybody's system.  So I started looking for a dealer... first, I started with Case/IH dealers and started calling them, they gave me the "Ag vs. Construction" runaround and nobody had the parts in their system much less in-stock.  After today, I got fed up with them to the point where I will never buy anything from Case ever again... period, simply because across the board their customer service is garbage (and I'm a nice guy).  Then I remembered someone on here saying Komatsu was the place to go for old IH parts so I called a few of those (even ones out of state) and got the same thing I did with Case.  I really like the machine but hell man, if I can't find parts to fix this old girl, then I better unload her while she's running good.  For those of you who own a TD-8E and have a good source for parts on both the service and repair side of things, PLEASE hook me up with some contact info.

For now, I suppose I will simply take the old hose up to my local implements guy and see if he can cut me off a 4" section of the right size hydraulic hose, repair and clean the old strainer best I can and re-use the old o-ring with some ultra black on the sealing surface.
Does everyone else have this problem with parts?  I seriously have been on the phone for hours calling dozens of places and they all act like "Hey Johnny, you ever heard of a company called International Harvester?" I mean Whisky Tango foxtrot??

I need to go buck some wood and burn off the last 5 hours of frustration. ugh

Koot Kraftsman

Quote from: tacks Y on July 08, 2021, 08:53:59 AM
Not sure of seal between trans and rear end? Rear end and torque converter? If so should both run hy-tran.
Forgive me for my naive ignorance when it comes to nomenclature of this machine.  Until 5 minutes ago (literally), I did not have a service manual. By "rear end" I'm talking about the planetary gear between the steering clutches (behind the transmission). Since the torque converter is between the engine and the trans, I'm curious how you thought I was talking about a seal "between the torque converter and rear end"??  I haven't dug into the books yet but am I right in assuming the planetary gear is between the clutches?  This is not only my first powershift trans but also my first wet steering clutch machine so the machine's guts are still foreign to me.

reride82

I'm not sure when you'll make it to Montana again, but there is a gearmatic 14 winch on the Helena Facebook classifieds. I've found the steiner parts is a great resource for older ag/construction parts. Thats where I found most of my parts for my old cat D4.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Thank You Sponsors!