iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Score Of The Day Thread

Started by mike_belben, December 15, 2021, 09:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Quote from: Resonator on April 14, 2022, 07:37:25 AM
That stove alone is worth it. Wire brush it, give it a quick coat of high temp paint, and it'll sell for rustic cabin decor.
Brings back memories, the old house I grew up in had an old cast iron stove similar to that (though much bigger) in the kitchen. The circles on top are removeable plates, and you need a a special tool with a bent handle and a hook on the end to lift them out.
It is a wood-stove lid-lifter tool, and search will discover several available (if one didn't come with that small wood stove).
As a kid, and reading about the posts in the water heater thread mentioning "on demand" hot water, for warm water bath had to first go down to that two-lid wood-stove in the basement and start a fire. The cold water pipes went through that wood stove and then on through the house for warm water. About 1951, we moved up to a propane-fired hot water heater. Still had stoker-fired coal furnace for heat and shoveled coal into the iron-fireman stoker.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Resonator

You can use a big old pair of pliers too in a pinch. Also learned growing up that those plates can lift a little to give more room to really pack firewood in. (Don't try this at home). ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

rusticretreater

Well the stove is going in my new workshop coming May-June this year.  The door has the word liberty on it and a 1776 scheme, so that made it a grab it item.  And I can wire brush it with new unused wire brushes that were included in my purchase!  ;D

Yeah my wife didn't care much about the stuff as much as the bins.  SMH.  She did say I wouldn't need to buy any more hardware ever.

I took my Dakota pickup and my 17' car hauler/logging trailer and I was loaded down.  I took the long way home around the mountain and I still had to play a tune on the gears to get over the hills. I swear I could see the gas gauge moving while I was driving. :)
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

firefighter ontheside

I'm pretty sure I could see my fuel guage moving while coming home from Indianapolis this past weekend.  I was pulling the 5th wheel into a strong headwind and getting 7mpg.  That was a costly trip home.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

I called a friend of mine about a table saw last week that he had purchased for parts quite some time back.  He told me that I could have it.  He told me that it had a 3ph motor but once I got it home, I realized that it has a 1ph, 3hp Delta motor.  It has a mobile base and a nice table too.  I have not checked to see if the motor runs.  He also gave me a dust collector and a barrel.  It is also a 230v Delta.

It also has a nice Biesemeyer fence.  Hopefully, I can arrange my shop to work this one in.  
Caveman

rusticretreater

Nice.  It shouldn't take much to get it going, even if you have to spring for a motor.
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

WDH

Kyle, that is a nice saw.  That dust collector motor will come in handy too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dangerous_Dan

My buddie had a street sweeper on a regular truck chassis.
Sold it to a guy who only wanted the truck.
Danny you want this?
Looks good for a sawmill or crusher project.
Engine has a nice timing cover with a pto drive for a hydraulic pump.
And belt drive with some serious bearings to handle side loads.
There is another pile coming that has a dump hoist and more hydraulic stuff.
I have been collecting parts for a while now to build a large bandsaw.
All I need now is some decent bandwheels in the 30-40 inch range.
I have some 30 inch pulleys but I think it would be best to find the right thing if I'm going to put any effort into the project.
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

firefighter ontheside

I picked up some items that I got from an auction that I bid on the other night.  Most notable was a bosch little router table with bosch combo router kit.  New the table is about $220 and the router set $230.  I got all of it for $45 and it appears almost new.  I got a few other items, but they weren't very exciting.  Some things I just bid on make it more worth my while to drive to get them.  I got a little cooler for $6 and may sell it for $20 to help pay for my gas.  The other score of the day though was buying gas on the way home.  I got gas for $2.97.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

I like Bosch tools.  I have a 2.5 hp router that is nice and a nice jigsaw.  Also a couple of their 18V drills. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

This is my second Bosch tool.  I have heard a lot of good things about this router.  My other tool is the big 6" ROS.  It works great for sanding slabs.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

bigblockyeti

I got a double score a few days ago.  The guy I bought my JET edge sander from had a Porter Cable router for sale, well I got it and it's a new 7518, the tie wrap had never been taken off the cord and the collet wrenches were still zip tied to the base.  The box was opened then closed for I'm guessing over 10 years so he let it go for $100.  This is a double score as my birthday is coming up so I gave it to my wife and told her to wrap it up, had I not, she would have bought me something more expensive that was really more for her.  Two years ago I got a new trash can for the kitchen for my b-day and later found out she paid over $130 for it.

Walnut Beast

rusticretreater

Trash can for the kitchen on your birthday?  ??? ??? ???

I have the same Bosch router and table that I bought new so I know what a score that is.  I used the router as the cutter on my homemade cnc machine and burned out the bearings.  It was easy enough to fix though once I found the bearings.  The variable speed is quite handy.

Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

bigblockyeti

Quote from: rusticretreater on September 14, 2022, 04:16:26 PM
Trash can for the kitchen on your birthday?  ??? ??? ???
We (she) needed one and I offered no other ideas.  It's a pretty nice trash can but yeah, a birthday trash can.  I guess it was a good deal as it's now even more expensive than when it was gifted to me.

caveman

Quote from: caveman on April 14, 2022, 09:41:08 PMI called a friend of mine about a table saw last week that he had purchased for parts quite some time back.  He told me that I could have it.  He told me that it had a 3ph motor but once I got it home, I realized that it has a 1ph, 3hp Delta motor.  It has a mobile base and a nice table too.  I have not checked to see if the motor runs.  He also gave me a dust collector and a barrel.  It is also a 230v Delta.

We wired up the saw directly to check the motor.  It works and my friend who gave me the saw said he found a switch for it.  It seems to run pretty smoothly.  We used the dust collector for the first time last weekend while jointing and planing a pallet of live oak.  It works great and handled the chips from two 8" jointers at once without a problem. 

But wait, there's more.  Another friend of mine gave me a 6' box blade that his wife wanted to make a planter out of.  I picked it up yesterday afternoon and put it to work leveling out dirt and moving pine bark around the mill as well as moving dirt behind my folks' house.
Caveman

newoodguy78

You'll like that boxblade. I've got a 7' that pretty much lives on the bucket tractor so handy for so many things. 

firefighter ontheside

Nice scores.  I have a 5' box blade that work fine, but i'm always on the lookout for a 6'.  I always keep the box blade on.  lt is great counterweight and I have a receiver hitch bolted to it for moving trailers around.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

rusticretreater

My wife bought me a trash can as a gift one time.  But it had a Redskins logo and paint scheme so was a bit more on target.  Been sitting next to my desk every day since I got it.

I certainly can use a box blade but I spent all my $$$ on other toys.
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

Log-it-up

picked this weapon up today got a good deal or I think probably take the bar off and put it on my bigger saw and put a 18" bar on this one to ride around on the skidder with me 

Nebraska

Nifty saw. This is kind of long winded but it's how  my day ended.  This came in the morning dropped off at work..

Little Cabela's 35 hp tractor. Found it in North Dakota. Built for Cabelas before the buyout by TYM.   109 hrs on it. Was owned by a body shop for snow removal. Hardly any paint worn off the bucket. I have a dealer that will service  close by as he was certified as a warranty repair center for Cabelas  when they were marketing them.  Paid a little over half of the new TYM price with freight.  No pollution stuff on it...It's smaller and lighter than my other tractors so easier for me to haul to the cabin or to my dad's farm when I need to get some stuff done.   Quick attach so all my attachments will  work. Just have to respect it's limitations.

The rest of the story....Last night I finished pouring some footings for  a foundation repair on my old cattle shed and I wanted to see how the quick attach worked  on the new toy and pick up a round bale (mine are small as  my baler is 449 JD makes a 600 pound bale). So I was pulling up to where the bale fork was  setting trying to line up to pick it up and hook it. It's different because this tractor is my first hydro drive unit. Pedals are different and it doesn't coast and roll like a clutch  so mildly struggle busing.  My wife is mowing down the driveway edges. (Evening started by me mildly being in trouble for parking the mower in with one of the tractors) darn it she wanted to MOW and soon!!
All of a sudden over the tractor I hear my wife yelling "PAT  🔥  FIRE!!"  I looked over towards her and out by the road on the round bales I had lined up out there.  Three of them  in the middle of the row have flames coming off of the top. A neighbor was parked at the end of the driveway with his tractor and disc he was on his phone calling it in.  He had got my wife's attention on the mower she hadn't seen it yet.
I try to  hook up the fork a couple more times not quite getting lined up and gave up. Ran up to the shop where the bigger tractor with the cab and the grapple attachment was and got the not burning bales away from the fire.  About that time I could see trucks coming so I separated the burning ones  so the fire department could get around them with hoses.. I ran back down and dropped the grapple bucket and put the bale fork on quick. Anytime I have been around a round bale fire they almost never go out  so  I stabbed the first burning bale the fire truck the arrived first had hoses on it  two other trucks had hoses on the other bales  I took the first hot bale after it was mostly out and tossed it into the pond couldn't cause  much trouble there. By the time  I got back up the hill the other four bales that were burning  were  pretty well out.   My wife had mowed up there earlier and the fire dept figured it had thrown a spark because this was carry over hay from last year and the fire was on the outside of the wraps.. Fire department was really fast on the response,...it was meeting night and department pictures were scheduled so everyone was at the fire hall anyway.

I slipped 50.00$ to the last truck  out they went to the pond to check the on  floater bale before they left to make sure it was dead. Told them to stop at the minimart and buy suitable refreshments for the meeting.  I was glad they came could've been a much bigger mess if the neighbors hadn't driven by. Lots of unharvested dry crops around.
Sorry I didn't take any pictures.

Old Greenhorn

Never seen a Cabela's tractor, looks very clean.

Glad you didn't lose the whole load of hay. When I was in the FD we could almost count on getting a call when we had a larger planned meeting or event going on. Seemed like I was always leaving meetings and Christmas parties to run jobs.
 One time we had a family day for friends and family of the department with bonce houses and lots of stuff for the kids, held in the field behind the fire house. There was a serious accident 1/4 mile from the station and while one crew handled the call, the other crew had to clear all the tents and bounce houses so we could land the medi-vac.

Glad you came out of that incident pretty cleanly. Good luck with the new score.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

I have seen truckloads of burning hay where they lost the hay and the truck. I think a cigarette butt flipped out the window of the cab was usually the problem. A lit butt in that much tinder with that much O2 was a perfect storm for a burning load of hay.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

Nice looking little tractor.  I always liked the look of the Cabelas edition of Ford trucks.  I didn't know they had a Cabelas edition tractor too.  I'm glad you didn't burn that or any other tractors in fire.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nebraska

I was fortunate and thankful for my neighbors  on the fire department....@firefighter ontheside , @Old Greenhorn   If you were a small town local volunteer fireman what sort of treats would you want to show up at the next meeting? 

:)

Thank You Sponsors!