iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Music New Artists Lounge

Started by Mooseherder, January 14, 2022, 12:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

In Concert with the retro thread hemlockKing started I thought it would be nice to also have a thread we could share newer music and artists that have yet to be discovered or under played in the music industry.  One of my newer favorite artists is "The War on Drugs".  Ironically I think the name turns off some people. :D

The War on Drugs - Pain [Official Video] - YouTube

Roxie

I like them a lot but I thought War on Drugs was the name of the song. Man, I'm old.  Went on and listened to more of their tunes and I think I will be a regular visitor to your thread. 
Say when

newoodguy78

This has the potential to be a great thread. 
Cody Jinks-Cast no stones

newoodguy78

Mooseherder

mudfarmer

Old Greenhorn

Rhiannon is certainly a treasure. She has a beautiful soul, an immaculate voice, and can pull more out of just about any song as anyone I know. She is also just a beautiful woman. I first came to know here when she played with the Carolina Chocolate Drops and that was a super band I am sorry is no longer. Dom Flemmins was also a significant part of that band and I spent and afternoon with him at a festival once. Great guy. Both of them base their music deeply in the history and bring so muck to the stage and performance.
---
This is a neat thread idea. Most of us who follow music have regional or local bands with a lot of talent to share that never reach a wider audience. I'll share this one. These guys tour all over the world as some top end festivals and other events. They are not regional but have a strong following around the northeast for sure. I would be surprised if any of you have ever heard them. This is a one-off video of a house party and for the heck of it, they shot a video (or vice versa, I don't remember). Those folks in the background range from friends and neighbors and their kids to world class touring performers (read the credits at the end). These guys are neighbors (and also clients) and good friends. They have a kick-butt high energy band and their shows are always a joy for me. The couple who fronts the band, Mike and Ruthy are wonderful people, great parents to their kids, and a joy to spend time with. Ruthy is the daughter of Jay Unger (seen in the video in a cameo) who you may have heard of. :D
"On My Way Home" The Mammals (feat. Mike + Ruthy) - YouTube

Edit to add: That's a 5 string banjo Mike plays in the clawhammer style. He was my teacher for a time and got me doing it pretty good until I couldn't. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mudfarmer

Hey that was great and I like the regional idea.

Here's one for ya, this is from a new album maybe? Worth taking a listen to some more

The Blind Owl Band - "Hit Em High" - YouTube

Old Greenhorn

That's interesting Music Mudfarmer. I'd bet a nickel that Mando player takes a lot of inspiration from David Grissman. ;D He even looks a little like him. WHy do the biggest guys always play the smallest instruments? :D That banjo player reminds me a lot of Richie Stearns (Ithaca, NY). Richie will sometimes go off on his fuzz pedal too. It's a neat effect  but sometimes goes a little out of my realm. I searched for an example of his stuff, but couldn't fin it on you tube. I saw him at the NY Banjo Summit in 2011 with a bunch of banjo greats and he had one tune that was really out there. Something else, but nobody posted a video that I could find. That was quite the tour.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Southside

Luke Kaufman, he manages to mix cowboy country with hip hop, never really made it to the mainstream but not for lack of talent.  

https://youtu.be/mt1VfDqemYY
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

I believe that boy may be onto something SS. Good sound, hits more than a few checkboxes. It's amazing that guy a guy like that did not get picked up by somebody and moved on up. 
 But I have met and seen so very many talented performers with great 'presence' that have moved or excited me and I can only wonder why they aren't on the big stages. It's a very tough business they are in and it takes 20 years to make an overnight success. I admire these folks greatly, but I do not envy them because they have worked much harder than I ever could to get where they are. They deserve anything they can get because they sure earned it.

Mapleman

Sitting inside on a cold snowy day trying to work up the gumption to tackle my year end accounting and listening to The Devil Makes Three and while I don't post much here, I thought they might be a good entry to this thread:

The Devil Makes Three -- Live at Amoeba (Full Performance) - YouTube
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Hilltop366

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 14, 2022, 06:22:50 PMMost of us who follow music have regional or local bands with a lot of talent to share that never reach a wider audience.

This is as local as it gets for me, I recorded it half way down my driveway at my brothers house (he was a long haul truck so his house was quiet during the week) the song was written and sung by a friend who would write as a hobby and we decided to try and record a bunch of demos for a fun project, the instruments were played by my oldest brother (mostly done in one take) and I did the recording mixing etc. This is one I used as a track on a Youtube video of my DIY mill years ago. My daughter talking in the background is part of the video not the song.:)

More Home made Sawmill - YouTube

HemlockKing

Merle and wille song from 2015, just before merles passing. I'd highly recommend this one of the last songs from this great outlaw

Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard - Unfair Weather Friend (Audio) - YouTube
A1

woodroe

This one is kind of new to me thanks to JJ on the FF here.
Its about the drowning of a town that I've paddled over.

Below by Slaid Cleaves - YouTube
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Old Greenhorn

I saw this performance on Friday night. I was backstage and watched this from the rear so I could see Bela working the changes on the tuners. Very nicely done. This will be an extremely challenging tune for players to try and learn in the decades to come. Perhaps he has written the new 'Nola' for 5 string players.

Bela Fleck My Bluegrass Heart Strider 7 15 22 Greyfox - YouTube

Resonator

Top notch stuff! smiley_thumbsup

Bela Fleck is a legend among banjo players, many decades he has been playing for now. Someone asked about "New Grass" music in another thread... just listen to Bela Fleck play. That hit a fret harmonic and then tune it up and down is cool! (And not easy to do that good).

I also see the fiddler playing in the band is Michael Cleveland. He overcame being blind, and almost deaf in one ear, to become the gifted and talented musician he is.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, it was a great set and he only full one I caught all weekend. Near the end of the set he brought on Sam Bush, Sierra Hull, and Jerry Douglas who did all the dobro work on the recorded album. They just tore it up and a few more of those tunes are on youtube from that night. The next band up was Sam's and I caught most of that one.
 I think it's fair to say this new album, My Bluegrass Heart, is all 'new grass'. It's the first Bluegrass that Bela has recorded since Tony Rice passed and he held off because he didn't know if he could do it without Tony.

Bela Fleck My Bluegrass Heart On My Way Back To The Old Home 7 15 22 Greyfox - YouTube

Machinebuilder

Greenhorn I would have loved to be at that festival, so many of my favorite musicians, Bela, Sam, Jerry, Sierra.

I have learned about a couple groups that are worth checking out.

Cory Wong and the Wongnotes, sort of like the flecktones but with a horn section. several video's with  different guest musicians mentioned here.

Snarky Puppy, they didn't really catch my ear, another jam band. Interesting thing, I follow Bela Fleck on Facebook and in his birthday pictures he is wearing a Snarky Puppy Tshirt.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

WV Sawmiller

Dolly Parton Praises Country Trio Chapel Hart After Viral AGT Audition | PEOPLE.com

This is a new group from Mississippi trying to break into Nashville and the County Music scene. Great pipes, high energy, great song and definitely a new look. (I may get sent back to remedial sensitivity training again but I think they would benefit from some time with a good fashion consultant but that will come with time I think.) I hope they are not another one hit wonder.

Meanwhile I struggle to sleep with that French love song scrambled and running around my head at night. I can remember the title "Ferme la Porte" and one of the lines is something about "laisez faire avec poulet" but I can't remember the rest. I am sure it will be a big hit if I can wake up and write it all down before I forget it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bradm

I came across this family group a few years ago and they have really grown on me.

Cover of Coldplay's "The Scientist".  The only Coldplay song I can listen to without reaching for the biggest hammer I can find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwqFUY4HcS8

And a fun original song written by the oldest sister.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKAQAxiEvy0

Bradm

Had this come across the feed today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQufZEijRmc

Not sure why the Youtube algos suggested it, but in the end it was worth the 13 minutes.

Bradm

2 guys jammin on stage with a back up band.  I think the bass player is having more fun the the 2 on lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H--ShJ4Djk8

woodroe

Old Greenhorn

Good One! That boy can pick some. (I liked the story too.)

Resonator

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

woodroe

Had to watch it twice, that means something.
The slide thing was really special. Ain't dead yet ! lol

Bradm

Oldish song (released in 1987).  New artists.

Who had more fun?  The kids or the band director?
They done did good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TDGsqyfm6E

Nice recovery by the singer near the end.

Old Greenhorn

Nice find Brad. These kids have it all going on! That young lady doing the vocals had a lot more maturity and control in her voice than her age would noramlly allow which gave her what she needed to make that recovery. Somewhat exceptional, I would say. 
 I live in an that is lousy that is lousy with rocks stars, I kid you not. ;D :D (Both current and former.) We have a 'School of Rock' here that kids go to and put in a lot of effort coached by true touring musicians and long time touring pros. I have been to more than a few of their public performances. These kids range in age from about 10 to 18 years old, they mostly are already multi-instrumentalists and swap for each song taking turns at different 'positions'. It's interesting to see some of these kids over several performances and not knowing who they are, picking out the ones that impress me. There was one young long haired fella, about 17 years, who I saw in two separate shows who impressed me and an outstanding drummer, pretty good guitar player and slightly above average singer, but I thought his general stage presence was well above average. I commented on this a a friend and said I wonder what his name is, he is somebody to watch in coming years. Turned out he is Levon Helm's Grandson. Guess I know where he got the drum licks from now. :D :D

newoodguy78

That's a talented group of kids. If there wasn't video to go with it I'd have a hard time believing they were so young,especially the singer. That young lady has a voice beyond her years.

Old Greenhorn

Doggone it, as usual, a good post in this thread sends me down a 1 hour plus rabbit hole. I was just looking at some videos from our local Rock Academy and I found this one wherein Jon Anderson of YES! (rememeber them, I do, I was a huge fan back in the 70's and still am) spent some time working with the kids and did a concert with them. This is pretty neat stuff for these kids to learn from.

Roundabout - Jon Anderson with the Paul Green Rock Academy - Ridgefield CT - 8/5/2021 - YouTube

Normally the kids do their own shows, but once in a while they get a chance to bring one of these folks on stage with them. I can't help but wonder what they felt like for that experience. Pretty good thing to put on a resume when your aren't even 18 years old yet.

Bradm

Not School of Rock, but similar.

This was the first cover of a Guns'n'Roses song that didn't send me running to turn it off.  Most  of the people I've heard try to match Axl's voice and fall far short (in my almost purist opinion).  This guy didn't force it and his partner nailed the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT8upWEDirM

JonathanPace

Maverick Sabre - Don't Forget to Look Up (Abbey Road 90th Anniversary Sessions)  8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2TcbGarLRM

(Maybe not new, but seriously underrated artist)

Hilltop366

Local group. I know the guy (Marc) playing the resonator, he plays all types of music and instruments in a bunch of different bands including local as well as he use to play bass in a metal band in Montreal for a while and sings in a metal band in Greece at times, gives lessons and does a band camp. 

All Mother - White Flag (Come Back Home) - Official Video - YouTube

Bradm

Had 2 songs come across my feed today.

German busking leads to a guitar/harmonica duet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgvhOHF3Pa0

I don't normally listen to much new music, but I was away from the computer when this one came on and I'm glad it did.  She has one of the strongest voices I think I've heard in quite a while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz_Kl9qadqc

Bradm

Thank You Sponsors!