iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Equipment Safety

Started by sawguy21, July 09, 2022, 12:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

A British Columbia farmer has been heavily fined for not having a seat belt on a tractor among other violations, it is a commercial operation so falls under WorkSafeBC jurisdiction. The unit has a ROPS which normally includes the belt. There has been a rather heated discussion on social media, what do others think? 
I had a SCUT with the ROPS system and wore the belt to keep from being chucked off plus shut up the DanG buzzer. It also saved my kidneys a pounding. I have also operated equipment with no protection systems and know I could never have time to jump clear on the high side in the event of a roll over.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Quotewhat do others think?

Removed the seatbelt on my CUT tractor. 

That is what I think.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Crusarius

I get on and off to much for a seat belt. but if I was in the seat for hours on end I may decide to wear one. Mine shuts the tractor off if I get out of the seat so it is disabled. I think thats kinda silly since its not like its a lawnmower it is a Kubota L2800 with a loader for goodness sake.

Southside

The reality of it is ROPS and other systems don't work as intended without seat belts, doors closed, etc. Do I always use them? No, but I also know I am taking a risk and try to minimize said risk. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

The back slope on the pond levee at the Cabin is steep.  No, it's not steep enough to roll me over and I have been bushhogging it since it was built in 1996.  That is the one job that I do and always buckle the lap belt.

Just suppose that an armadillo has dug an unseen hole on the lower side or now there is a fire ant mound on the upper side.  Things can change and I try not to be careless.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I've been driving forklifts, at a job that I get paid for, for about 40 years. Seatbelt gets put on just about every time I get on it. Brake get set, just about every time when I get off the lift too. That is part of my job.
Now at home I am not getting paid to do the above.
Yes, I do believe the way I do it at work is for a good reason.
Just like LOTO at my other job. Never done it at my house. But did it just about every time when I worked on a machine/robot.
You never know when things can go wrong.
Be it at work or at home.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crusarius

I just wish they didn't make the seat belt shut the tractor off if your but leaves the seat. I would be ok if it just killed the PTO or something but the engine shutting down everytime my butt leaves the seat is a lot rediculous.

brianJ

Quote from: Crusarius on July 09, 2022, 08:50:43 PM
I get on and off to much for a seat belt. but if I was in the seat for hours on end I may decide to wear one. Mine shuts the tractor off if I get out of the seat so it is disabled. I think thats kinda silly since its not like its a lawnmower it is a Kubota L2800 with a loader for goodness sake.
My 75XT has that Dang seat safety switch too.   That is disabled but the arm bar is not.   When I need to drive it in a straight line for a minute or less I put the arm bar down and drive standing in the bucket.    Anything more than that it is plop in the seat and rev up the throttle pedal.

Here in NY if a farm gets inspected the big thing is PTO safety shields.   Told the boss make sure Im not around coz I will give them arrogant *%^R&* hell.   The choice is the PTO shaft can be greased or it can have the safety shield in place.

barbender

Brian, running a skid steer like that is one of the worst ideas of I've ever heard, but to each their own. 
Too many irons in the fire

240b

ill never understand disabling safety switches an removing pto shields. 
in recent years there has been two horrific pto shaft incidents locally. 
Both not only dismembered the victims before them dying. But the local fire dept guys 
got a totally unnecessary life altering experience.   So remember your poor choices will effect others also. 

Southside

Agree, PTO shafts, chain and belt covers all stay in place, way too horrific injuries can happen, and it's fast, way faster than you can react. 

Very pretty young lady got her hair caught up in a PTO shaft two years ago, she lived, but is not recognizable. 

Years ago I had to respond to an incident where a rosser head debarker operator walked out onto the rolls and kicked a stub loose, well it was still on and sucked him down into the rolls, words can not describe what I saw there, he was still alive and conscious when we removed the roll tension, he lasted about 5 seconds after that. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

My gosh. That's one thing that would keep a lot of us fools from doing some of the stupid things we do- who is going to find you and be scarred for life? Wife or kids, and first responders? 
Too many irons in the fire

Ed_K

It's not that hard to disconnect a pto shaft to grease it. also it doesn't take that much time to shut off the pto before going near the problem with the equipt. Sorry, I have stupid bil's that were to stupid to do the right thing.
Ed K

thecfarm

I find out that we are all trying to save seconds, but most times that we cost us hours.  :(    :o
My little world is my tractor. 
I have no idea why, been this way for years, when I over reach for something it will cause a pain in my side that will almost bring me to my knees. 
Then I have to walk around and move and stretch out a certain way to relieve the pain.
So when I want something on the other side of the tractor, it is just as easy and quicker, to walk around to the other side and get it.
Kinda same way with a safety thing. 
Take the time to shut it off and then do what you want.
The seconds you save could cost you hours.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DeerMeadowFarm

I don't wear my seatbelt in my tractor except when I'm on the road with it or if I'm brush hogging something steep.

samandothers

I don't wear the seat belts all the time on tractor nor zero turn.  If mowing hill sides, I do put them on.  I have gotten better about safety measures as I have aged.  Work and personal experiences as well as those of friends have helped me to develop better habits.

Thank You Sponsors!