iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Atv log grapple trailer

Started by Northerpike, November 10, 2022, 07:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northerpike

Anyone have any input on these? They look super slick but they are all made in China. 

samandothers

I have not used one.  

LOGRITE, a forum sponsor, has very nice log arches.  Check them out, link on left side of screen.
<-----

Old Greenhorn

Without a photo it's hard to know what you are looking at. Go to the logrite page and watch the video comparing the China built vs. logrite arch. They are NOT all made in China. Not the good ones anyway.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

There are good quality ATV grapple/trailer combos that come out of Europe.
Too many irons in the fire

PoginyHill

Metavic has several models of grapple trailers for ATV's and are made in Quebec.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

barbender

Anderson, Hakmet, and AM are several other brands.

bigblockyeti

Quote from: Northerpike on November 10, 2022, 07:56:16 AM
Anyone have any input on these? They look super slick but they are all made in China.
Is this a grapple under a skidding arch or a self loading trailer that will fully suspend multiple logs off the ground while being transported?

barbender

When he said grapple, I assumed it to be a hydraulic grapple log loader. If he is looking for an arch with tongs, you can't go wrong with a Logrite.

Northerpike

Yeah the self loading I have 80 acers and would like to be able to get firewood and saw logs. Also clear some food plots. I looked at the hakmet but done really think a 20k trailer will pay for itself in saving on wood.

upnut

I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

bigblockyeti

I'm assuming most of these smaller self loading log trailers have 5 primary hydraulic circuits (waist, boom, stick, grapple spin, grapple) and likely two so each stabilizer has it's own.  Is there a standard pattern for which spool controls which function or is it up to each manufacturer as to how their's will be set up?

Joe Hillmann

What are the lifting capacities of the ones you are looking at?

One issue I would expect with small grapple trailers for ATV's or small tractors is they just won't be heavy enough to lift and self load a log of any size. 

Another issue on trailers with 4x4 is the drive system.  I would imagine the friction drive on the wheels will slip a lot in wet and mud.  And if it applies enough pressure not to slip it will probably be very hard on the tires.

PoginyHill

Here's a guy that has several videos of his ATV and log trailer. It does have hydraulic drive for the trailer wheels that might be required for an ATV, as Joe mentions. There is one video he has where ice build-up impacted the drive system; but otherwise the drive meshes with the tire tread rather well.

(7) ATV Logging -Another Load of Hardwood -E2 - YouTube
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

g_man

A couple years ago there was I guy from Norway I think that had one and actually operated the thing on camera and posted a couple videos on here that were pretty good. Maybe someone remembers enough to do a search ??

gg

teakwood

For me these machines seems to be playing around hobby stuff, but it's a real cool video and nice toys

Kranman kör vindfäller Processor P25 och T1750 med Polaris 570 SP - YouTube
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

teakwood

Quote from: g_man on November 11, 2022, 12:27:33 PM
A couple years ago there was I guy from Norway I think that had one and actually operated the thing on camera and posted a couple videos on here that were pretty good. Maybe someone remembers enough to do a search ??

gg
I remember, he is a member here. Also has a small 4 sider, like a woodmizer or something, and does woodworking 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

g_man

Here's a video from 10 years ago. Says 350 kg lift
(750 lb). Surprising - must be with no extension ??

atv log loader trailers in Forestry and Logging

gg

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bigblockyeti

Quote from: teakwood on November 11, 2022, 04:34:23 PM
For me these machines seems to be playing around hobby stuff, but it's a real cool video and nice toys

Kranman kör vindfäller Processor P25 och T1750 med Polaris 570 SP - YouTube
Does seem like powered toy stuff, reminds me alot of the toy Bruder trucks & equipment my kids have only with actual power and slightly larger.  I wonder was the excuse will be to the dealer when the Polaris transmission give up while towing 4-5 times what the Sportsman is rated for?  Bet it's fun to get stopped going down a steep hill too  electricuted-smiley

Walnut Beast

Might seem like tinker toy stuff but guys are doing amazing things with smaller equipment and getting it done very effectively. Very low impact and getting into places that bigger equipment wouldn't be able to without tearing everything up

bigblockyeti

The low impact I get and the bigger stuff just can't compare to where this equipment can go.  Make no mistake, I want one, but with a proper tow vehicle and ideally trailer brakes as well.

John Mc

I have a Metavic M95 grapple on their 13RF trailer. This is one size up from the trailer they sell intended for use with an ATV. I find it a perfect match for my NH TC33D tractor (which has been modified for work in the woods) or behind a smaller pickup (I tow it behind my 2009 Tacoma at times).

Their model line-up has been changed a bit since I bought mine. What I have is basically the same as their current M105 (same lift capacity and trailer load capacity), except mine is a 9.5' boom, rather than the M105's 10.5' boom. I've attached a PDF brochure that was current at the time my model was made. Here is a link to their current line-up: https://metavic.com/en/log-loaders/

My model will pick up 600# at full extension, or 1500# close in. On larger logs, I remove some or all of the log bolsters, then pick up and load one end of the log at a time.

I had been interested in a forwarding trailer for years, but just could not justify the cost. When this one showed up for sale used and in almost new condition a couple hours away from me for a good price, I jumped on it. The previous owner used it behind a similar sized compact tractor and behind his pickup. He had added the optional hydraulic winch (which more than makes up for the short reach of the boom) and Hydraulic power pack (so I'm not dependent on the tractor hydraulics to operate the loader). He also had a custom modification: normally this does not come with brakes. He added electric brakes which run off his truck's brake controller. He wired a cheap electric controller to his tractor which was helpful when coming down hills. (The brakes were activated by the manual lever on the controller, since the tractor lacks the brake switch to activate it automatically.) He also had them replace the smooth implement tires with something that would get better grip when using the brakes.

I would not own one of these forwarding trailers without the hydraulic winch option. It's much slower than my 3 Pt Hitch logging winch, but it is a huge time saver: I don't have to back the trailer right up to every single log I want to pick u

It's not something I would want to try to make a living with. It's too small for volume production, but it suits my needs fine. If I had a larger tractor (in the 40-50 HP range), I probably would have been looking for their next size up - the 1150 series. For use behind an ATV, their M95 loader on the smaller 12RF trailer.

My trailer with a couple of 20" Red oak logs. The ATV version of this trailer is slightly shorter and lighter. Hydraulic drive (which also serves as hydraulic braking) is an option on their ATV model. It's rather slow, but will get you out of a jam if you are stuck, or help control things coming down hill.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

On the smaller end of the scale, there are non-powered trailers rated at a couple thousand pounds. They operate with a hand-cranked winch or an electric winch.

Forum sponsor Woodland Mills used to sell something like this, but it appears to have been discontinued.

Dr Power sells something similar: DR Versa Trailer. Other distributors have similar offerings.

These are much lighter duty than the hydraulic powered units out there, but are also lighter weight. If you can live with the more limited payload and lift capacity, it might be a match for some ATVs
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

upnut

Another option, which would be lighter and less expensive, would be to adapt an atv/utv winch to a pickup truck size crane. The one we use is more for handling chunks, not sure how that would translate to small logs. Your budget and physical requirements would dictate details.

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

John Mc

Scott's post just reminded me...

If you are not up for footing the cost of a forwarding trailer, check out some of the threads on the DanG Deadheader Log Lifter:

DanG-DeadHeader Log Lifter

Dang Deadheader Log Lifter action photos

Or search for some threads on parbuckling logs into a trailer.

Thank You Sponsors!