iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1989 2520 Timbco Timberjack feller buncher saw issue

Started by Ranchwelder, December 02, 2022, 08:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranchwelder

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2520 Timberjack tracked feller buncher with a Risley Rotosaw intermittent head.  It is an engine down machine.  I have never ran a feller buncher before, so could use a few tips as to its operation.  I am sure to bring the head tight to the tree and grab it firmly before cutting.  The Rotosaw will sometimes not cut the tree off in one shot.  I have to back the disc off and try a couple times before it cuts it off.  I am wondering if this is common with an older intermittent saw head or is my hydraulic pump tired?  Any and all comments are welcome.  The machine has had the engine rebuilt.  The hour meter is showing 3800 hrs.

I haven't got into the machine yet as far as pressure testing the lines etc.  

Thanks to all in advance.

Corley5

I had Risely Slingshot Head once upon a time. It would do the same thing you describe. There was a relief valve cartridge on the back side that needed o-rings replaced on occasion.  I did it a couple times and don't remember much about it now except that it fixed the issue. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ranchwelder

Thanks a lot. I will check that out.  I appreciate the response.

Southside

What condition are the teeth in? I know on my hotsaw dull teeth will destroy cutting performance quickly.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Mountaynman

I would get a new box of teeth for sure i remember the guys replacing them almost weekly those small cupped round teeth didnt like a steady diet of frozen hardwood and also go thru those relief valves
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

Ranchwelder

Thanks for the advice.  I have received the box of teeth I had ordered.  Kinda hard to find.  I cut mostly poplar with the odd oak.   Teeth that are on the saw right now seem sharp.  I did find one missing though.  I should order another box to have on hand being that hard to find.

Thank You Sponsors!