iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Multitek 2040xp

Started by Log-it-up, May 21, 2023, 08:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Log-it-up

So I bought a multitek 2040xp it's a older bar saw model that run the 3/4 chain,I've run other wood processor that run 3/8 chain and seems like when you open up the bar olier it will really throw the oil off the end, mine will not dose the 3/4 chain not need as much oil 
  I took apart the oil pump that's on it it appears to be some sort of single stage pump that squirts what holds inside it when the bar is rotated (I wish I would have taken pictures ) it doesn't seem like enough should there be a mist of oil coming off the bar

Mapleman

I also have a 2040 XP - great machine.  Yes. there should be a mist of oil coming off the bar.  There are two check valves built into the circuit that keep the oil going where it should during the pump and recharge cycles.  Mine wasn't working when I got the machine and I found they were plugged up with debris.  Cleaned them out and they worked for a while and then plugged again.  Turned out there was a lot of gunk in the bottom of the oil reservoir and stuff was getting sucked into the check valves and keeping them open.  There wasn't a drain at the very bottom of the tank so I cut a hole in it and flushed out the tank, then sealed up the hole again and haven't had any problems since.  I may not have described this well, but feel free to ask any questions if anything isn't clear and I'll be glad to help.  

As something to go by, I use somewhere around a gallon of B/C oil per 10 cords of wood.

Good luck!
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

Log-it-up

MapleMan 
Dose your pump look like this, I checked all the lines and they where free flowing right now I've got the oil line just gravity fed into the bar and the chain seems to have plenty of oil to it I would like to use the " pump " it came with,it still not throwing  oil off the end of the bar 

Mapleman

Yes that's the same pump.  The check valves are essential for the pump to work correctly.  One opens up to the bar when the pump plunger is pushed in while at the same time the other one closed so the oil being pushed out by the plunger doesn't go back to the tank.  When the bar comes up and the plunger comes back out the check valves reverse - one opening to allow the oil to be pulled from the tank and into the space in the pump housing left by the plunger coming back out and the other closing so air isn't sucked in from the bar end.  

Does this make sense?  

The check valves are part of the oil lines and are likely plugged with gunk keeping them open.  The check valve closest to the tank is the one I'd check out first.  

Dave

Mapleman

Oh - and the oil just gravity feeding to the bar without the pump probably doesn't flow enough oil.  And if the oil does flow to the bar just from gravity, it's even more likely the check valves are stuck open. They have a small spring in them to keep the ball against the seat, the suction from the plunger is enough to unseat them but just gravity from the tank might not be enough.

Log-it-up

Ok this is making more sense, I don't believe I have those check valves there just rubber lines
 I did check all the lines by pulling them off and each connection and and they seem to flow freely 
 I agree the gravity doesn't work the best but it's getting way more oil than before as long as I keep the oil level high in the reservoir 

Log-it-up

I did bypass the pump with the gravity feed 

Mapleman

I took a closer look a mine today when I went over to process up some wood.  The check valves are small and brass, one is just after the shutoff valve at the oil tank and the rubber hose that feeds the pump attaches to it, the other one is screwed into the top of the pump body just before the hose that goes to the bar.  You might still have them in your system but they're aren't working properly.  Or someone took them out all together.  

In any case, your oiler would work a lot better if you had them, I think I got mine directly from Multitek and they weren't too expensive.  

I got my machine about 12 years ago and had problems with the oiler right from the start.  But once I figured out that the trouble came from junk in the oil tank plugging up the valves and I cleaned the tank out, I haven't had any trouble with the pump in the years since.  Judging from the stuff in the tank, the previous owners ran it for some time with the filler cap off.  The feed for the oiler comes out of the tank an inch or two off the bottom, mine was filled with junk right up to that level.  I drilled a hole in the bottom of the tank the tap size for 1/2" pipe thread, tapped the hole, and flushed it out with lots of diesel.  I also cut a long branch that would reach to the bottom of the tank, and hammered up the end of the stick to make a sort of brush and that helped a lot to get all the stuff out the bottom.  Then I put a 1/2" pipe plug in the hole to seal it up.  Been working fine since.

Log-it-up

I've ordered new check valves and ran a few cords of wood through with the gravity it dose use some oil but at least it's getting it I was able too use it until...... Went reload the deck and noticed oil pouring out of the clutch housing  smiley_cry took the pump assembly off and it appears the end seal maybe bearing are gone, off to the hydraulic shop on Tuesday 

Mapleman

Sorry to hear of your new troubles with the hydraulic pump leaking.  I'd be interested to know if your hydraulic shop can get parts for your pumps, I may need to rebuild mine some time.  I notice that when I'm processing large diameter wood and the conveyor is pretty full of big pieces the blower slows way down like all the oil is going to the conveyor.  A guy I talked to at Multitek said that might mean one of the pumps is getting worn and bypassing oil internally.  He also said they don't carry parts for those pumps any more, they're using a different style pump now and that a hydraulic shop might be able to help.  Trouble is, there aren't any shops around here that I know of.

Anyway, good luck with your repairs!

Dave

Log-it-up

I'll keep you updated on what I find out the guys I use are pretty good and usually can just look at it and tell me if it can be rebuilt or cheaper to throw a new one on

Log-it-up

Brought the pump to local shop it's going to to be awhile 3-4 weeks unfortunately but they said they could get parts and was repairable beats the alternative I did call the dealer  and they said it was $8500 to replace and 26 weeks out so I'll wait for the local shop

Mapleman

Thanks for the update on your hydraulic pump, good news that yours is rebuildable.  I have what looks like a series of three pumps of decreasing size bolted to the back of the clutch housing, is that what you have too?  I think one is for the saw, the other runs the splitter cylinder and the other runs the conveyor and blower.  Sure hope I don't have to buy a new setup - $8500 would seriously cut into the firewood profits!

Log-it-up

Sound like it might be similar setup I'm not sure which pumps do what
  I'll keep you updated with cost and how long it takes the shop said they are facing same problems as everyone with staffing issues so it's going to be a bit longer

Log-it-up

Finally after a long wait pump is back and bolted on was able to do about 4 cords with it today seems legit didn't really notice and power chang 

Thank You Sponsors!