iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tipping Woodmizer Question

Started by jpgreen, January 07, 2006, 01:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgreen

Can a Woodmizer tip-over at a 30 degree incline with the cutting head in down position, and the log loading side pointed up hill?
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Bibbyman

Just don't do it.   :o  You don't want to find out.   :'(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Faron

jp, I'm not sure I'm answering the question you are really asking, and bear in mind my WM has been stationary since 1997.  If you are talking about crossing a 30 degree slope getting to a site, I think you will have to worry about the pickup turning over  before you need to think about the saw.  I don't think you are talking about loading a log and operating on this kind of slope.  If you are, I wouldn't like it much.  I'd think, just off the top of my head, that a log of any size would roll awful fast across the bed, and could turn the mill over.  If you have to operate on too much a slope, you need to block up on the downhill side, and dig in the uphill side.  Better yet, get on top or bottom of the hill where it is more level, and bring the logs there.  Have you sawed with that stolen mill yet?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

beenthere

jp
What is behind the question?  Inquiring minds wanna know   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thedeeredude

woodhick

I hope this is not a question that you have already answered with ufavorable results. :o  If it is I would stay under 29 degrees :D.  I agree with earlier post you would probably be okay to travel across this but I wouldn't want to saw in this position. I have had my mill setting level and roll on a large log from tha upper side of a bank and rally rock the mill so I would'nt try to laod anything in that position! ;)
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

VA-Sawyer

JP,

My first winter of sawing, I was at a customers place trying to get in position where I could load an oak log about 24" in diameter. I was on a slope of about 15-20 degrees with the loading arms on the uphill side. It was a tight fit trying to squeeze the mill between the logs ( rolled as far as possible toward the house) and a steep dropoff on the downhill side. I put a couple of blocks under the downhill tire to get the saw closer to level. I rolled the log into the arms and raised them to put the log on the mill. Being STUPID due to inexperience, I made no effort to control the rolling speed of the log. Well, it hit the backstops so hard it slid the mill sideways far enough to push the tire off the blocks. The mill tipped up and hung there, like it couldn't decide either to fall back or roll completely over. I was doing my best to keep it from going over by pushing on the head, because there was no place for me to run.  It finally tipped back down the right way, but I really had my concerns for a few seconds.  Lucky for me the head was only about halfway raised. I'm sure that it would have gone all the way over if it had been close to max height.

I don't cut on slopes that steep anymore.

I put a WIDE board under a tire if needed to level the mill.

I'm very aware of  rolling speed when loading larger logs.

If you are just trying to drive over the slope, then you will find the mill  pretty stable.  I sure wouldn't try sawing on that slope.

Be careful out there!

VA-Sawyer

jpgreen

I'm OK. 

The mill rolled over me, and I didn't get a scratch..  ;D :D

I should have clarified my question, instead of doing a drive by, and then taking off..  ;D

If you were to tow (slowly) your LT40 across an incline of near 30dgrs would it flip?  I don't think it would because it's pretty wide, and the weight has a pretty low center of gravity.

Am I making better sense now?

Thanks for the concerns... Tear.

VA-Sawyer

JP,
One thing I can say about that day... I now understand what people mean when they say " frog in a blender feeling". I kept thinking ' this is going to hurt ! '
VA-Sawyer

jpgreen

That's when the thought of pain, and the possible severity of the situation passes before your eyes.

Like watchin' an instant movie on how jacked up you're gonna be..  :o

ARKANSAWYER

At first I thought this was going to be like "cow tipping".  I was going to say that the one who could grab Wanda by the tire and flip her over would be one DanG MAN.  :o

I live in the hills and sawing and dragging the mill over hill and dale is part of every day life here.   I have broken off the front and rear landing legs before getting into places.   Like VA Sawyer I have had a log knock the mill off of the blocks and had to saw the log where the log and mill landed.   We had to hold the head from going down to fast and took two of us to push it back up.   Sawed a 34 inch 12 ft red oak like that.   Way to much work.
   The mill has a low center of gravity and so far has followed my truck any where it went.  As for grade I do not  know but there are times when 4x4 would not get us up some hills in dry weather.   My guess would be if you can get your truck there the mill will go as well.  Now if you can saw hanging off of the side of that hill will be another story.   If it is that steep you should be able to roll the log to the bottom. ;D
ARKANSAWYER

jpgreen

Dainty little delicate things... those Woodmizers..  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!