iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The fun never ends: Solved, Carolina Buckthorn

Started by Dodgy Loner, June 13, 2007, 02:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

The last plant ID challenge was so much fun, I couldn't let it end there. 8)  So here's a new one for ya.  Good luck!

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

DanG

RATS!  I get first crack at something and DonT know what it is. :-\  Nothing there for size perspective, but it looks like a large shrub my Grandma had in the back yard.  Can't remember what she called it, though.  Euonymous(sp) perhaps?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dodgy Loner

The leaves are definitely similar to some euonymus species, but I'm afraid that's not it.  It's hard to tell in this picture, but the leaves are alternate.  Euonymus leaves are opposite.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

DanG

Ya mean I was even close? 8) 8)  I woulda really looked smart if I had guessed right, wooden eye? :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dodgy Loner

You already look smart!  That's the face of a intellectual if I've ever seen one ;D ;D ;D.  And handsome, too!

DanG

It's amazing what an expert like Tom can do with computer graphics, ain't it? :D :D

SPIKER

I got one of them in may yard too :D

but I only can think of my rhododendron which we know aint right drawing a brain freeze

::) smiley_huh2 smiley_headscratch

mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Dodgy Loner

The lateral veins on this one are much more prominent than Rhododendron.  It's not evergreen, either, although it does hold onto its foliage well into winter.

SwampDonkey

Can't tell much from the fruit in the photo. But, it sure looks like a relative to the figs. Ficus My question is whether the fruit are capsules or fleshy fruit.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

Fleshy fruit, drupes to be exact.  They won't ripen until this fall, at which time they will turn from bright red into a lustrous black.

Dodgy Loner

Want to give any clues, WDH?  Surely I haven't stumped you ;).

WDH

I am feeling a little stumped........... ::).  Those leaf tips are strongly acuminate.......Those black drupes are quite suggestive..........hmmmmm.........I have a theory............It feels swampy to me.  I am wondering if the pith is diaphragmed?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

I know what you're thinking, but I'm afraid that's a negatory.  This is a mesic-site dweller - usually a large, single-stemmed shrub, but occasionally reaching small tree size.  Two key features that didn't come out clearly in the photo are the finely serrated margins and the arcuate veins (ie, the lateral veins point towards the tip of the leaf at the edges of the leaf).  Oh, and the pith is solid.

SwampDonkey

Well I just realized that your user name is made of from letters in the word dendrology. I realized this after reading your avatar signature. I often times am not in the know, so you may have already announced this.  :D :D

D E N D R O L O G Y

D O D G Y   L O N E R
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

If we can't figure out what his name means, how are we supposed to figure out the plants he posts ??? ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

A-HA  smiley_idea!  Looked at subject plant again and the bell rung ;D.  Fleshy drupes, huh....Shrub...Arcuate veination...I bet the leaf color is normally a little more glossy green than shows in your pic ....... smiley_speechless.

If I am on track, the specific epithet starts with the letter c.

Dodgy Loner

I knew it wouldn't take you long, WDH!  Here's another picture:

I think some of the leaves in the back ground show off that glossy green that you're talking about.

SD:  I did mention it when I first joined the forum, but I wanted it to be something that would take a while to figure out.  You and Texas Ranger are the only ones who have noticed so far ;).

WDH

Flowers in the leaf axils, but that is not much of a hint.

Dodgy Loner

It is if you keep your tree ID guide beside your computer ;D.

WDH

I don't have a single tree ID book in this office.  They are all at home :-\.  I need two copies of each one :D.

Dodgy Loner

I don't either.  If I did, what would I read before I go to sleep at night ????

Tom

.........in a quaint sort of way, TOW copies works too.   I like it.  ;D

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

Quote from: Tom on June 14, 2007, 12:34:59 PM
.........in a quaint sort of way, TOW copies works too.   I like it.  ;D

I went back and modified it.  But, it did work :).

Dodgy Loner

Larry, looks like you're headed down the same dead-end road that WDH briefly took yesterday.  This isn't a Nyssa species, I'm afraid.

Here's another hint: its initials should remind you of a tasty cola that goes great with a moon pie.  Hmmm...I'm not sure if that will help the yankees in the forum.  How about this: it has a naked terminal bud.

Tom, I'm not familiar with TOW ???

Thank You Sponsors!