iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut Twig Beatle (WTB)

Started by metalspinner, September 30, 2010, 08:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

With our local government finaly acknowledging that the Walnut Twig Beatle (WTB) is here and recent discussion about it on the forum, I began to question some of the logs I've picked up around town.  Walnuts are dying everywhere around our community and I wanted an idea of wether or not the log I was bringing home died from the beatle or some other source.

Often times, the branches and twigs of a log are long gone before I ever show up on sight, so is there a way to tell by examining the log if the tree secumed to the WTB?  Here is a nice link with pictures of WTB damage..

http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/subimages.cfm?sub=15382

I will study it deeper soon and thought you guys might want some reading material, too.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Autocar

I don't know much about it but I have heard it called walnut canker, is this the same thing ? Right now no walnut is suppose to come north of the Ohio river we have enough problems with the ash borer.
Bill

Ironwood

Just wanted to follow along,.....Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

metalspinner

Aotocar,
As far as I understand it, the beetle carries a fungus into the wood of the tree and the fungus causes the canker.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

That is a common beetle attack by-product for many species of tree.  The beetle is the vector, and the fungus that is riding along on the beetle is the killer.  Many times the tree can overcome the effect of the beetle boring in, but the tree is toast to the fungus that is along for the ride.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Autocar

Pretty complex creation we live in  ;)
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!