iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Debarking wood for log furniture

Started by Ax- man, July 08, 2012, 09:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ax- man

This sounds like a good idea . I can picture it because I have made a peeling station that is some what similar only on a slightly smaller scale. I made it to be portable so I can move it around my little shop. It works but the clamping system I thought would work good can be a pain. I might be able to alter the one I have.  If not it is no big deal to make another one based on this design . Your log peeling station sounds like it would be easier to make and more versitile. I can also envision it being useful for other tasks for making log furniture.

WDH

You could hang all kind of stuff on it  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ax- man

Hello again, it has awhile but I just thought I would pass this little tip on.

I didn't reread the whole thread but if someone mentioned using an air hammer/ air chisel to debark a log I would like to say thank-you. I finally gave it a try  and it does work pretty good on some of the logs I have tried. It doesn't make a nice clean cut like a draw knife but it does speed up the process and does the bulk of the work that can be finished with a draw knife .  The chisels with a slight curve in them work a little better than a straight chisel.

I tried the air chisel to debark some small short turning pieces for my new to me lathe to save time during the roughing phase and make it a little safer . I worked good for that so I tried it on some longer logs and worked OK for that also. There are many variables involved in different species of wood and how tightly the bark is adhered to the wood. If you can control the air chisel with both hands you can peel the bark off in long strips, lifting the bark away from knots as you go.

m wood

very interesting axman.  I just aquired an air chisel for some automotive work.  I must give that a try some day.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB