iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another tree ID

Started by Slab Slicer, October 02, 2012, 09:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I suspect that it is either water oak, willow oak, laurel oak, or nuttall oak. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Feller

I guess I'm odd because I like the smell of Oak...Red Oak, White Oak, doesn't matter. It's a pungent, acrid smell but also pleasant to me.

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

It is interesting how different the smell of white is from red oak.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Danny
Must be those tyloses bottle up the smell and the red oak just passes that gas.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

learner

Sadly, that tree is 30 miles away and the woman wanting to sell it just doesn't understand the time and costs involved moving it to a mill.
Judging by the pics she sent, it would only net around $200 Max(by looking at the pics i guestimate 5 tons max).  It could cost her that much just to get it moved.  I'd love to see what it gives up but what she would get paid for it's weight would maybe just cover the moving costs.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

WDH

BT,

:D :D :D

I bet that you are right!

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: learner on January 24, 2013, 09:47:02 PM
Sadly, that tree is 30 miles away and the woman wanting to sell it just doesn't understand the time and costs involved moving it to a mill.
Judging by the pics she sent, it would only net around $200 Max(by looking at the pics i guestimate 5 tons max).  It could cost her that much just to get it moved.  I'd love to see what it gives up but what she would get paid for it's weight would maybe just cover the moving costs.

This looks like a get rid of it for free tree, not an I want money deal.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

CCC4

If you think you could $200 out of that log, you should go get it. Personally, I wouldn't drive to the end of the road for it unless I was going to cut it for firewood. I also bet it has hardware in it. It has been down too long, prolly sap stained to beat Hell, and shakey. It would make decent firewood though...but not 30 miles away.

Thank You Sponsors!