iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My timber frame build

Started by Ljohnsaw, April 22, 2013, 01:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

looks like it may be handy for removing dust on the boards without bending over as well.  getting older.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ljohnsaw

Yep.  Like I said, the head is heavy so it removes dust over a long length with very little down pressure and no bending over!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Andries

"micro bark chips".
Love it!
I see the 545D with a bucket full of chunked up slabs in it. How's it working out for you?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

doc henderson

Lowes had nothing like it but I had other stuff to get and got it.  I got a shingle spud about 7 inch wide that may help with bark.  still want an upright, sawdust scraper.  if you have a brand and part number, may get it on amazon.   ;) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ljohnsaw

Andries,
The bark breaks down into 1/8-1/4" bits and don't seem to get smaller as I continue to keep driving over them.  They are very comfortable to walk on and, most of all, NO DUST!  My soil is horrible moon dust.  Once dry, you can try to water it and it just runs off.

I'm getting the hang of the 545D.  I moved a lot of dirt from widening my lower driveway (more space to turn the SkyTrak) to the areas on the east and north side of the cabin.  There were some "turtle" rocks that were really annoying to drive over and didn't want to hit my front wheel drive line on the tractor (with the cover installed).  A couple were pretty high/pointy.  I found using low range and 2nd gear to scoop/dig and then switch to the high range, effectively making it 6th gear, to transport works really well.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

Quote from: doc henderson on July 18, 2022, 07:47:59 PMLowes had nothing like it but I had other stuff to get and got it.

Try your Ace Hardware.  Here is one of mine that recently got a new handle.  Both see regular use.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

I've scraped acres of subfloor with one of those following the sheetrock guys.

doc henderson

here is what I got at Lowes for bark peeling and clean up.

this is what I am looking for.  more for scraping sawdust of slabs and boards, with less bending over.

Magicman

I use a sheetrock taping knife for that:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

me too.  and i just gave one to Doc Hagley @Cardiodoc and got a new one for myself. a long handle would be nice for slabs on the ground.  the sheetrock knife is great on the mill.  i can still bend over but why should I?  My knife is 14 inches for what it is worth!   :o :o :o :)  but who is counting?  right? :D

garjess

I love those big trees!  I live in the northeast and everything here as been logged several times over.  I see logging trucks everyday and rarely see a log bigger than 20" diameter.  

Ljohnsaw

Update 7/22/22:

I spent Tuesday - Friday working on the beams.  I took a picture of the end of the South-East beam section (8x12).

What I wanted to highlight is the divot in the ring patter that can be seen horizontal just below the top edge and then two more running diagonally down to the right in the lower half.  When I stripped the bark off (should have taken a picture), there were grooves in the surface that ran from 1" up to 4-5" in length at various places that these represent.  Just thought they were interesting.

So I finished the two south halves (31'8" each) that match with the two north halves (25'2") with scarf joints.  I put all four sections up on the cross beams.

I have to winch a pair to the far side (west) and then rig up some lifts to pick up both the north and south section and place them with their braces in a slow and  controlled manner.  Not a job for the SkyTrak, not to mention it can't reach the west side due to the drop in elevation on that side.  I plan to use two boat-type winches (that Jeff has some personal, close-up relations with...) for each beam half.  All the braces have been already cut.

To be continued next week.
John Sawicky

Ianab

Quote from: ljohnsaw on July 24, 2022, 01:18:59 AMWhat I wanted to highlight is the divot in the ring patter that can be seen horizontal just below the top edge and then two more running diagonally down to the right in the lower half.  When I stripped the bark off (should have taken a picture), there were grooves in the surface that ran from 1" up to 4-5" in length at various places that these represent.  Just thought they were interesting.

My guess it's the result of an old branch stub that has grown over. It's now all nice clear wood in your beam, but the divot it left in the young tree has remained over the years. The tree lays down a pretty even layer of new growth each year, so the impression is still present after the 50-60 years more that it took to grow the additional clear wood. 

It is interesting. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ljohnsaw

I have seen that, Ianab, but I don't think that is the case here.  It starts out normal rings then starts a gradual divot the gets more pronounced as the years go by.  The grooves just under the bark are quite numerous around the circumference of the entire log.  In some places it had a good hold on the bark.

Where I cut the scarf joint and went through these layers at an angle it is a really great look.  Too bad it won't ever be seen again!  In my mind's eye, the wood just under the bark is this smooth, even surface.  Removing the bark revealed this crazy surface I would never have expected.  I've still got the 4th log (lots of branches) and I'll see, and get pictures, of the sub-bark divots if they were up that high in the tree.  Maybe some sort of stress thing from growing on the side of the hill?
John Sawicky

Don P

Back when we got more dougfir ply than syp it was fun to look at the figure, it does some wild things for a simple softwood.

Chilterns

The tallest tree in our woodlot is a 150 ft Douglas Fir and this demonstrates a smooth bark flute (depression or valley) running up the trunk that years ago I thought might have been caused by a lightning strike damaging the fibres underlying the bark but I am not now quite so convinced by this surmise. I will take a photo when next passing same and welcome further thoughts on this observation.

DWyatt

@doc henderson  Search "Marshalltown  14-in Steel Scraper with 60-in Handle" on the Lowes Website. It's exactly what you're looking for.

doc henderson

thanks, DW.  I looked at Lowes and did not find it.  but online it says they have 3 so I will take a copy of the link.  and have them look up the location.  they told me wither flooring or roofing or in garden.  well, there you go. I no longer think anyone really knows what is going on.  Even the ones I have known for 15 years there.  She was a manager, and now just works there although in pro-sales.
I tried to call the pro-desk, and no one answered.  the way of the world right now.

doc henderson

got Julie at the Pro-Desk, and she looked and said, "it says we have three in flooring" so I will drop by later.  thanks again.

Ljohnsaw

I'll look again but I didn't see a name on mine.  I just did a Google search with "Marshalltown  14-in Steel Scraper with 60-in Handle" and it gave me "results" for HD, Lowes, Whitecap, Grainger, etc. (HD said "nothing found")  None of those match what I have.  All of those are a thin, replaceable, straight spring steel type of blade.  Probably will work for Doc to scrape dust but not nearly has heavy duty as the unit I've got.  The blade on mine is thick, not flexible and has a bend about 3/4" back from the edge that gives a pry bar type of advantage along with changing the angle of attack.  Excellent for bark and pretty good at sawdust scraping.

Just Googling (Floor Scraper) gave me this link to HD. Big Bully floor scraper This is it!
John Sawicky

doc henderson

i want the steel blade that is light for doing dust off the slabs and lumber without bending over.  it takes two passes with a broom and a blower does not move the wet stuff as well.  the Lowes is just what I want, but did not find it the other day.  but they claim to have 3.  Thanks all.

Ljohnsaw

Quick update 7/26/2022:

Came up this morning and started fabrication on my beam lifts.  Here's the first pair.  Step one is to drag the beam from where the SkyTrak could reach:

17'9" 2x8 with a Harbor Freight 1,000 pound boat winch and a 1,500 pound "lifting block" hanging off of some random brackets from receiver hitch units. 

After some fussy work, I lifted the beam half.  Pretty much at the limit of the boat winch - not the greatest quality but I needed 4 and needed them now.

Tomorrow the other half.  In the mean time, I was sitting outside my trailer and heard the snapping of branches coming up the hill.  My resident buck.  He sleeps just down the hill from my trailer.  Picture taken with my flip phone and 8x zoom (digital).  He walked by less than 20' from me.

Is he just a 4 point or does that little nub on the right antler make him a 5 point? (4.5?  ;))

John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Update 7/27/2022:

I'm using my T-Mobile phone as a hot spot so I can do updates while I'm up here.  Seems to work pretty good uploading photos.

So I rigged up the second set of hoists and learned a few things.  Like, raise the beam with the top half of the scarf joint first!  Really annoying to get it over the lower half.  Almost there:

Place all the braces (tied up):

Drop it down:

Looking at all the brace pockets and how close they are together, I was getting worried that all those braces would make it feel a little claustrophobic.  It's massive so, no worries!

The north half did not set down all the way.  The beam is up about 1" on the far corner post and maybe 1/2" on the next one.  The braces are tight but not sitting all the way into the beam.  What looks like shadows on the 3rd pic is the gaps.  The south half just took a little persuading to set down.  The north half went down as far as it did with very little help.  Once I get it set down, then it's time to add all those Simpson plates :-\  So many nails.
John Sawicky

Walnut Beast

Looks good! Is that a concrete wall your building on ?

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!