iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

balsam logs?????

Started by parttime_logger, May 23, 2004, 09:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parttime_logger

I have land in Wisconsin with some balsam trees i'd like to cut.Is there any market for logs some of theses trees would have some otherwise is my only option pulp wood?  Some may be about 15+ on stump never really measured.  The land is in no programs so I can do whatever i want.

beenthere

Can you tell us more about the trees (or logs) you would expect, in size and quantity(volume), as well as quality?  Any idea what they would get you, if cut for pulpwood?

Might consider contacting a consulting forester for information, and learn what they would suggest for harvest and markets, as well as logging options (after you cut, or if you cut).  

Is the land under a management plan now?  

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

As previouslu stated, contact a local Consulting Forester or your Conservation District Forester for local market information and assistance.

See www.acf-foresters.com for a consulting forester in your area.  
~Ron

burlman

they are lovely logs to saw, much better than the old white spruce if you are in need of framing lumber to saw up. we have alot around us here in Quebec. We get paid by the ton here for pulpwood, so we prefer balsam it is way heavier than spruce. Logs are paid the same for spruce or balsam

SwampDonkey

Do you have any local softwood mills that take studwood or sawlogs? Often times if they are really big they are hollow as culverts, not even worth cutting for pulp. A good sign of nice healthy fir is pitch bubbles in the bark and no lichens in the lower branches. If there are stress seems in the butt, then be prepared to hack off the first 4 feet for butt rot. ;)

Good luck with the balsam
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dancan

from structural point of view if these larger fir have no rot in them
after they are milled are they as good as spruce ?

thanks

dan

SwampDonkey

In mills here, the lumber is not sorted for fir or spruce, but the buggers cut your price if your load is all fir. Which I don't get at all. But, spruce is stronger and more resilient. Balsam fir often times you'll get rotten pockets in the lumber of those big trees. You can smell the difference in the species in the lumber pile. Spruce, fir, pine, hemlock all have resin cannals. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ppeterson

parttime_logger,

Balsam make a great stud. They grade out very well. Find a stud mill that will accept them. You will get more for them that way rather than for pulpwood.

SwampDonkey made the comment that straight loads command fewer dollars. Might have something to do with the fact that they are very dense. Even after air drying for 6 months, they still have wet pockets.
If the mill plans on kiln drying them green, it takes a substantially longer time than spruce. Drying spruce in high temp kilns can be acomplised in 24 hours. Balsam can take 2 weeks. Usually ends up you over dry the wood surrounding the wet pockets. The best way is to air dry the wood for at least 6 months and up to 1 year. Then kiln dry to remove the wet pockets. But, by then, checking usually occures.

Has to be a stud mill to sell to. Balsam does not make good timbers because it does not pressure treat well.

Do not store balsam logs next to other species. Termites love them. On a quiet day, you can hear the "munchin". ;D

ppeterson

SwampDonkey

Big black sawyer beatles with long antenae love them fir too, if the bark is still on the logs. Them DanG things bite too, and you can here'm crunch'n the wood in their big mandibles. Also, buprestidae species love it. These insects have flat-headed and round-head borer grubs, respectively. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!