iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree care professionals. How did you start?

Started by brettl, February 06, 2014, 07:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettl

I want to learn about trees so that when trimming I can make them more healthy rather than just making money on them. I've been limited on the jobs I will take because of this. I know there are arborist courses in different parts of the country that cover some of this. With Wichita State and K State campuses here in town it's surprising that I've yet been able to find such courses. Perhaps I'm just not using the proper terminology when talking to counselors?

So for those of you in the business that are educated on these things, what courses did you take? What terminology should I be using when checking schools? I've seen a lot of books advertised so meanwhile, what are some of the better publications available? I don't even know if I'm asking the right questions. Thanks for any help.

BuckeyeAaron

I can offer a bit of advice though most of my experience is geared towards Forest Management rather than ornamental woody management.  Finding arborist-type courses shouldn't be too hard but that assumes there is a local university or community school that offers a Horticulture or Urban Forestry degree or certificate.  Classes you would likely want to find and take would include dendrology or tree/shrub ID classes, disease and pest management courses, and any other relevant natural resources courses (soils, hydrology, wildlife, etc.).  If you are looking for classes that teach specifically arborist techniques (climbing, knots, pruning techniques, etc.) you can purchase study materials from the ISA website though they are pricey.  They have books and guides on just about everything.  Finally, many local public gardens and arboreta will offer programs to the public on such topics on tree ID, when/how to prune, and plant selection.  You would have to contact local organizations in your area to see what is offered.  I hope this helps a bit is the type of information you're looking for.
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

brettl

Thank you sir, I appreciated those tips. You should see the first reply I got on that other site asking this question. >:(

chet

An extremely good reference, are some of the very good books written by Dr. Alex Shigo. He is well known as the "FATHER OF MODERN ARBORICULTURE".
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Woodboogah

I will second reading some of Dr. Alex Shigo's books.  They are informative.  I think the best way to learn is by doing.  I dont know what your current job situation it but if you could find a reputable arborist to hire you that would be the best way to learn or even work a day in trade for knowledge.  I know it's not ideal but you will learn the most.  My personal experience I was in the residential tree care business for a bit then work go slow so I went back to college.  I got a degree in forestry and I wouldnt change a thing.  It was hard being older then everyone and juggling work with school work.  It was well worth it though.  The networking alone was huge. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

DonT

Properly pruning a tree is both art and science.That said the works of Shigo are well worth reading.His concept of CODIT(compartmentalization of decay in trees) was ground breaking.Ed Gilmans works are worth reading and he has a book on pruning.We have a company in Canada called Arboriculture Canada that offer 1-5 day courses on most aspects of the industry.I believe the US equivelant is Arbormaster training solutions or something like that.One of the books I learned the most from was Gerry Beraneks -Fundamentals of tree work.

brettl

Thank you all. I've looked at those books. Beraneks book has be recommended to me several times. If you had to pic one of the  Shigo books, which one would you start with? I've thought about going to work for one of the big companies or a small one with a good arborist. I've been doing dead tree removals, dead wood removal, and other easy stuff. I've been making several times more than I would working for wages but now it's time to decide whether losing a bit of income now will make me enough more in the future to be worth it. Thank you again.

DaveP

I have a book called Tree Maintenance written by P.P.Pirone.  It describes bracing and cablkings, cavity work, tree disease, and insect damage.  The book was published by Oxford University Press and is probably out of print. It has been an excelent reference for me.

brendonv

I worked for a family friend, just him and i.  I read about a half dozen books, cover to cover, twice, got my arb license and the rest is history.  11 years later I'm doing well on my own, and regularly called in to help others.

If your going to work for someone to get experience, find a small company.  I feel you will get lost in a bigger operation.

Pirones will teach you a lot about trees.  Jerry B's books are great, for on the job trachings.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

brettl

I really appreciate all the tips here. I'll see if I can find a copy of Pirone's book. I totally agree about hands-on being the best way to learn.

Woodboogah

If you invest in yourself you are not losing anything.  Just think of it that way.  When you can educate a customer or potential customer it goes along way and separates you from the hacks.  In my experience (when I was heavy into residential tree work) talking with the customer and telling them what's happening with their tree, ornamental, woody shrubs, etc. and why it's happening usually got me the job.  It took a little more time and I usually got a remark like "the last guy just gave me a price and left" something along those lines.  This is just my opinion so take it for what its worth.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

mcarthur

Working for a professional company, alongside reading related materials on your own time is a great way to learn.  Arboriculture Canada courses are a great hands on experience and they are usually 2-3 day courses. 
While doing your work, safety is #1.  Arboriculture, climbing can be dangerous.  ISA offers a free online safety course, I would recommend you take that. Good luck!

H.

Thank You Sponsors!