iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

036 oiler troubles

Started by devo, January 08, 2005, 07:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

Not quite shur if I can describe this right but here goes. My 036 Pro has started chewing up bars due to lack of oil. It seems to be getting some oil to the tip of the 18" bar, but no where near enough. I have cleaned the groove and holes in the bar, and the saw uses the right amount of oil. If I run the saw with the bar off, there is lots of oil coming out the port. I noticed the other day that there if way more oil then there should be around the clutch drum area. I have changed the little worm pump, but still seems to be dumping oil in there. This saw is starting to get a little tired and probably should be retired as I make my living with it, but I absolutely love this saw!  Any Ideas?
Crazy enough to try it! (once)

jokers

Hi Devo,

What is the condition of the black plastic tube from the oiler to the outlet where the bar mates with the saw case? If it is cracked or loose fitting, a leak may develop around the pump nipple as a path of least resistance when the bar is installed. When you installed the replacement pump is it possible that the plastic tube was pushed out to where it is crushed when the bar is installed?

Maybe it`s even the brand of bar. If it`s just the tip giving you problems, I`ve come to the conclusion that Stihl`s latest laminated .325 bars are not what they used to be. The 3/8 laminated bars inexplicably seem to be more durable with no pattern of nose problems.

Another friend of mine reports numerous problems with Oregon bars on Stihl saws, although I don`t share that experience.

Russ

devo

Thanks for the info Russ.  :)

When I changed the pump I checked over the tube and didn't find anything wrong, but at the time I thought I had a bad pump, so maybe I didn't look good enough. I will find the time in the next day or so to check it over again.

I really don't think the bar is the problem. I don't use the laminate bars any more as I have never had good luck with them. I only use the solid ground bars with replaceable tips. The local stihl shop had an aniversary special on bars and chain a while back so I bought a bunch, and have now gone through 3 of them. As I said before the bar seems to be too dry (but it is getting some), and there is to much oil in the clutch well so the problem must be in there.

Thanks

minesmoria

I have a husky 55 and my oiler did just what your is doing lots of oil falling on clutch and only a tinny bit on the chain.

Took it to the shop and had to get new pump plunger 16$ and a conplete new oil system 40$

So you need the whole oil system replaced.

Kevin

Just a late thought but does the oil output line up with the hole in the bar?
I had a dealer sell me the wrong bar once and I didn't check it until I realized the bar was over heating.

devo

Kevin as far as I can tell they seem to match up fine, but how can you reallly tell? I thought of that as well since that was one of the problems I had had with the laminate bars. I will open up the saw today if time allows.

Kevin

I just pull the bar away from the mount just enough to see both the oil outlet and the oil hole in the bar.
You may need a flashlight.

tony_marks

that was my only complaint with my 036..i couild do anything with mine.. but i did have to wait on the oiler to catch up, in big hardwood.  good luck.. about all i did was get use to the saw ,like it was..stihl a good saw.
  u mite try making the oil hole in the bar bigger,,assuming its not partially plugged.

devo

Well I finally got around to sorting out the saw today. Turns out it sorta was the black supply tube. Where the tube ends in the casing, where the oil meets the bar, there is a little brass fitting on the end of the black tube, and that fitting is pressed into the case. When I origionally changed the oil pump ( which was bad ), I managed to wiggle that fitting loose. It was just loose enough that when the bar was on it was easier for the oil to go back into the clutch well than into the bar.

Thank for all the help offered here, I'll try to find something harder for you guys next time.

Thank You Sponsors!