iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A walk in the park

Started by Furby, December 29, 2007, 08:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

I posted elsewhere the other day about going to the park near my parents place.
Well my sister wanted to go back and I was itching for something to do, so we went back and took a trail I've never been down before.
Ended up finding this tree and I'm guessing it might have a little curl to it, but I'm not 100% sure what it is.
I wanna say Boxelder, what you think?

Reddog

If not Boxelder which I agree with, something in the maple family.

WDH

If that leaf is associated with the subject tree, it is not box elder.  I am in Reddog's camp on this one.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Furby

That leaf is on the tree, I couldn't reach one higher up that looked to be in a little better shape.
I did get a bud pic, but I'm not sure the branck was alive.

I know it's in the maple family, no doubt there.

SwampDonkey

That pointy brown bud and leaf speaks volumes. I'm not going to spoil it by saying what it is. I'll send Furby an IM instead. ;D When I first saw that bark I was giving it another name of a close associate though.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tonich

Reddog

Furby, Do you have any pics of farther up the tree? Would help to see some bark in the non damaged area.

Furby

I have this close up of lower down.

This is the best I have higher up.

There's a good chance we'll be going back tomorrow, and I can try to get a better pic further up and maybe a better leaf.

WDH

I would say it is a hard maple.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Reddog

Based on what you have so far, I agree with WDH. Hard/Sugar Maple would be my guess.

Ron Scott

The sharply pointed bud makes it a hard (sugar) maple.
~Ron

Gary_C

Hard maple was my first guess when I saw the first picture of the bark. And that shape on the lower part of the trunk is an indicator of birdseye in Maple. So sugar maple is my guess.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

nsmike

It doesn't seem quite right for sugar maple so I'm quessing black maple
Mike

SwampDonkey

My thoughts were that it was an old suppressed sugar maple that got released after a harvest or disturbance. See it a lot on firewood lots. Those bumps are just swells between growth increments, especially prominent where hare keep pruning the tree back which cause the tree to develop clusters of buds. The same effect can continue up the tree as deer or moose browse the tree. I see moose come to the same tree year after year nipping away at last seasons new shoots that come off the previous nibble. The bark tends to get smoother up the tree, but can continue if the tree gets whipped by it's neighbors. A sugar maple can take a lot of abuse it seems.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Black maple buds are more stout and pubescent.

Furby

Well I'm a little surprised at Sugar Maple, I was thinking a soft Maple if it wasn't Boxelder.
It's maybe 5' from the edge of a 5 or 6' drop off to the stream below and does get seasonal flooding.

SwampDonkey

Probably rich ground Furb, any yellow birch around and white ash, basswood maybe?

WDH

The soft maples are serrated between the lobes.  Not so with the hard maples. 

Furby

Ahhh....... ya ready for some more ID's eh. ;)
Really, part of the reason I keep going back is to work on my ID's.
I even started mt sister on a few and she's slowly catching on.
I found hackberry and I'd never seen it before. Based on my ID book that was a gift from the Stump Jumpers a while back, I'm on the Northern edge for Hackberry.
Even found a real nice 28" one.

There are a wide mixture of trees, very diverse in my opinion.
Sycamore
White Oak
Red Oak
Beech
Hard and soft Maple.
Looks like Blue Beech
Aspen
Hemlock (I think)
Black Cherry
Hackberry
Cottonwood
Red Pine
White Pine are all ones I can ID, cept for the Maples I guess.

There are a couple different Ashes and Elms lots of trees I just haven't been able to confirm yet.
I'll put up a few and maybe you guys can help, I don't have anything other then bark and form to go by though.

Furby

SwampDonkey

red maple buds and branch tips are red and blunt tipped. Their flower buds are real easy to spot, they are more rounded and clustered.

You'll often find under story sugar maple that retain a few leaves like beech and oak, but not as many retained. A lot of my sugar maple up on the woodlot still have a few dead leaves attached.

Gary_C

I do not see many of those, but from the limited view, I would guess Norway Maple.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WDH

My first impression is hickory.

SwampDonkey

Probably hickory of some sort, I'm not familiar enough with them. I remember a discussion earlier and the hickory family have diamond patterns in the bark, but so does ash, walnut and butternut. It's not ash.  ;)

Furby

I added a pic to that last one to show the form of the tree and the trees next to it.

Thank You Sponsors!