iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started the build.

Started by fishfighter, April 08, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grouch

Quote from: fishfighter on May 13, 2017, 06:15:03 AM
Thanks guys, I'm still ticking. DanG battery suppose to last 10 years. Been having this thing in me just over 7 years. In all that time, it only fired off three times. Something I hope it never does again. :o Not a good feeling getting kicked in the chest by a mule. But, it could be worse. ;D

Going to go pick up a load of SYP logs today. Been putting that log trailer to work. Cost wise,  been burning about $10 in fuel per load of logs. So that is around $3 per log which avg size has been 16' long and the small ends around 20". 8)

Maybe that's 10 years for folks who sit and click the tv remote or ride around in walmart carts. 7 years for somebody rearranging a swamp, sawing logs and building a cabin through mud, storms and muggy heat might just be a testament to good batteries.  ;)

Find something to do that interests you.

fishfighter

Add in a new saw mill building. ;D

Back home with three nice SYP logs. Feller had a tractor there to pull them up to the road. Made it easy today. ;D Problem now, I'm unable to off load them. Don't want to cut up the road, that is soaking wet. :(

fishfighter

Just a update. Had to stay down in New Orleans for a couple days. >:( They adjusted meds, reset my CRT-D, well adjusted it and sure as heck, they replaced my heart monitor. Come to find out my blood pressure was dropping way to low. :o Guess it was just a oil change. This is Louisiana and we love good Cajun food, Something about hospital food just don't do it. >:(

I'm feeling a bit better and looking to get back at it. 8) Wanted to do something this afternoon, but the wife flat out said NO. :D Maybe tomorrow. 8) Got to wrap some beams in plastic for painting around them.

grouch

Good to hear you're rearin' to go again. Don't let those Cajun spices push you beyond good sense. :)

fishfighter

Us southern folks love good food. ;D

Got out and hung some more sheetrock with the dear wife helping me today. Even with a big shop fan, I was soaking wet before 9am. :o That took a lot out of me and had to shut it down at noon. :( Going to get at it tomorrow again.

fishfighter

Got very little done yesterday, but did a bunch done today. More rock hung and rapped all beams and post in plastic. Even have the windows covered. I'm looking to start spraying some wall/ceiling texture maybe tomorrow. Now that everything is covered in the living room and kitchen, the texture will go very fast. Then after that dries, I going to spray the first coat of primer. 8)

On a side note. this morning, I installed a 110V ac in the front bedroom. That is were I'm hanging and floating sheetrock. I could kick myself in the backside for not doing this three weeks ago. :D

fishfighter

Rain, rain and more rain. The only good thing about that, it has helped cool things down. So, I spent the morning installing insulation in the attic.

A few months back, I had came across a real good power buy on some R30. Problem, the batts are only 18"x48". My trusses are on 24" center. So I had to wait till I installed the ceiling before installing the insulation.

Started cutting the batts to fit using just a knife. That was a PITA. >:( So my back up plan.

After making that cut, I came back with the knife which made things a lot easy. ;D

Good thing the roof pitch is 8/12 and was easy to install the insulation out to the eves. ;D

I will be coming back to add more insulation in the future. I will be blowing in some.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: fishfighter on May 22, 2017, 04:45:13 PM
Started cutting the batts to fit using just a knife. That was a PITA.
There is a super easy and fast way to cut the batts - you need two 2x4s or 2x6s.  Lay one on the ground and place the center line of the cut you want to make over it.  This 2x4 (or 1x4) is to protect your knife tip (and possibly the floor).  Now lay another 2x4 (or a 2x6 if you have a wide foot) on top to use as a straight edge.  Step on it to compress the batt.  With a sharp utility knife, you should be able to make one pass and cut all the way through.  Note that you will NOT be able to run the blade next to the 2x4 (and you really don't want to).  Space it so the side of the knife handle runs along the wood.  It will slide easy and you can keep the blade perpendicular to the batt making a nice clean cut.  The boards should be long enough to stick out at both ends of the batt so you can line things up.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

grouch

ljohnsaw's method is the way I've always done it. A piece of scrap OSB or plywood also works -- it or a 1x4 will let you put the blade right against the straight edge where you have the insulation compressed the most.

Dust mask? Eye protection?

fishfighter

That is how I started doing it. This insulation is 6+" thick and I couldn't compress it enough to make a clean cut. That is why I changed. ;D

jimdad07

You're doing a good job, just watch your body, do what it tells you to do.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: fishfighter on May 22, 2017, 05:54:05 PM
That is how I started doing it. This insulation is 6+" thick and I couldn't compress it enough to make a clean cut. That is why I changed. ;D
Either you need to eat more or drink more beer (or both!)  :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

grouch

Quote from: fishfighter on May 22, 2017, 05:54:05 PM

That's when you use a 2x10 underneath and a couple of 2x6s on top. Kneel on the 2x6s but don't get carried away with that utility knife -- you wanna stop cutting before you get to the crotch.  ;D

loganworks2

Instead if a utility knife I use a insulation knife made by Milwaukee. The blade is about 8" long and works better than a utility knife ever did. To keep it sharp give it a light touch with a file. Cuts like a hot knife through butter.

grouch

Quote from: loganworks2 on May 22, 2017, 09:14:10 PM
Instead if a utility knife I use a insulation knife made by Milwaukee. The blade is about 8" long and works better than a utility knife ever did. To keep it sharp give it a light touch with a file. Cuts like a hot knife through butter.

I didn't know such a thing existed. Thanks!

ChugiakTinkerer

Me either.  Looks like a useful tool that will want awful hard to jump into the tackle box.

Is it down to personal preference for smooth or serrated?
Woodland Mills HM130

fishfighter

Quote from: loganworks2 on May 22, 2017, 09:14:10 PM

Nice tip, but I hope I don't have to deal with anymore insulation. :D Still have the itch. :(

Today was a rest day. Just one of those nap all day days. >:( DanG more rain coming in tonight. Was hopping to get to do some sawing, but things are way to wet. Rain gauge so far thru the weekend has it at 5.2". :o

grouch

Quote from: fishfighter on May 23, 2017, 07:54:32 PM
[...]

Nice tip, but I hope I don't have to deal with anymore insulation. :D Still have the itch. :(

[...]

After more years of that itch than I'm willing to admit to, I finally figured out that those full body disposable painter's suits (paper? tyvek?) were worth the sweat. The ones with the little booties and the hood do the job.

fishfighter

When I go to blow in more insulation, I will be wearing one.

Way back in the day I used to build some boats. Grinded way to many times on fiberglass which is 10x worse then insulation. :o Applying baby powder on exposed body parts filling your pours does help some.

fishfighter

Been hanging sheetrock and floating. Hoping the kids will show up this weekend for a sanding party. ;D DanG humidity has been so high, it has been taking two days for the mud to set. :o Been running fans to help dry things.

On a side note, I have to go back in doing some of the plumbing. DanG PEX tubing is a PITA. >:( Going to get that done the first thing this morning so I can finish hanging sheetrock. Installing headers to feed all water lines, I was going to install them in the attic, but I changed my mine. Oh, talking about headers, I had to build them. Just couldn't find what I needed. I will get a picture of them later today.

Also, I am installing the water heater in the attic. It is already up there, but not in it's final resting place due to it is very close to were all the wiring goes into the breaker panel. It will be moved into place today.

Magicman

All of the water lines in our home are in the attic and there is no worry or concern about freezing.  Freezing, what is that?   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Lynn, you are right. :D Well, after fighting that DANG PEX tubing, I had enough. >:( If I ever do another house, I will use copper. One can never find what one needs at any one place to deal with PEX tubing around these parts. >:( The only good thing about it, if by chance I get a heavy freeze, water expands 9 times the size and PEX tubing suppose to be able to expand 15 times it's size. Being this house is off the ground and water lines ran under and up in the attic, that is why I went with the PEX. Yep, could put my foot to were the sun don't shine on my backside. ;D

Anyway, I had put a good days work in today, I'm beat. Got the plumbing straight and hung a bit more sheetrock. The kids are suppose to come tomorrow for floating /sanding party. :D Yes, the wife will feed them. :D

On a side note. I picked up a very old 6" jointer late this afternoon. Paid $65 for it. It will need to be clean and oiled up, but I been wanting one real bad. Going to need it, that is what I told my dear wife for future projects. ;D

Magicman

I had good luck with PEX at the Cabin.  The bad thing with copper is that the second time it freezes = wet.

I have PVC/CPVC in the attic here at home.  Bats between the joist, pipes, and then ~12" of blown fiberglass on top.  It has never frozen. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Briankinley2004

Pex is worth the savings on a large new construction project where there is a lot of pipe and fittings are few. Also saves the plumber on the rough in for a slab. Otherwise it is a PITA. I used it on my house addition and I could have sweated the copper faster than crimping all those fiftings. I did a shower with body spray which means a loop. Having to add blocking for that flimsy mess is time consuming too. Guess I'm old school but most of these new cats can't solder or pack lead and jute rope in a cast iron hub. I went ahead and insulated all the pex in my attic even though the water heater up there will probably rot and bust before something freezes. Pex is easier to fish with though and harder to crimp   No bending springs needed for the most part

fishfighter

Yesterday my son and SIL showed up at 7am. Floating and a bit of sanding was the plan of the day. Front bedroom is all taped up.

Then floating an are just outside the bedrooms.

Due to the bad weather, we called it a day at noon time.

Saturday afternoon, I bought an old 6" jointer. Paid $65. Looked in rough shape, but just new a little TC, it would be a power buy.

So, today I pulled it completely apart. Clean, sand and some new paint.

And all back together.

Bearing are tight and spend freely. Going to pull the motor tomorrow and service it, then some fresh paint. Motor did run fine before hand. I'm going to order new blades tomorrow. I like power tools and power buys. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!